Nice advantage to a thick beard

Old 04-20-10, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Nice advantage to a thick beard

I have a rather thick beard. One funny advantgage to it is that when I sleep on my side, my cat likes to lay down on my chest and purr away. When he stretches his front legs, he does so with this claws out. The beard stops the claws from touching my skin. Before the current beard, the claws could touch my lip, waking me up.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-10, 03:54 PM
Mine is scraggly. One hair every 1/4 inch apart. My dad had a real wiry dark beard that left a shadow even after he shaved. When I was a kid in my early teens, I expressed interest in having such a beard. He said I would regret it someday, due to having to shave.

Baloney. As long as you have to shave anyway - I think most guys want to show off how dense their beard is by cutting it real close and yet still be able to show that real dark full beard shadow. I think the impression one might have when seeing someone real hairy, whether on the face, or say legs, is that they were blessed with hormones. The beard gods were not there for me. I thought brushing it on a regular basis would stimulate growth. Didn't seem to help. Tried that on my bald head to and it didn't help there either.

A long time ago I found an article that says what the average male has for a hair count on his chin and cheeks. It is something like 650 hairs per inch on the chin and 450 on the cheeks. I do not think I am too far off on this, but I will dig out that article, as I still have it, and let you know. The fact I still have it gives you a clue as to what that means to me. Let's see, one hair every quarter inch is about 16 hairs per inch on the cheeks. At least I have a farily decent goatee going.

Old 04-20-10, 04:16 PM
My beard has 4 colors, brown, grey, blond and red (NOT DYED). If I brush it out, it is about 2 inches long after 3 months.

Old 04-21-10, 04:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't remember the last time I shaved I've had a beard since the mid 70's although I did have to shave the bottom underside of my chin to have a tumor removed back in 1991.

There isn't much in the way of color in my beard, just a little grey to offset the white. I'm not sure why it bothers my wife but often in the weeks before Christmas, little kids will see me in a store, tug on their mothers arm and say "look, there's hoho" my wife's response is always the same - 'I think it's time we trim your beard'

Old 04-21-10, 06:08 AM
I've never been able to convince someone to allow me to have a beard, but I had a cookie duster when we got married and have defended it for 40 years. Maybe since I no longer have to impress anyone with a dress code, I may give it another try. Maybe I will introduce it as an anniversary gift next month!

For everyone on the east coast, make sure everything is nailed down.

Bud

Old 04-21-10, 11:48 AM
Regionalism or generation gap? I never heard of Cookie duster.

Old 04-21-10, 01:30 PM
OK, NE, do you remember Mutt and Jeff? That will tell you if it is generational or not. And if you are younger than 60 you probably won't know them. Gosh we're getting old! Too old for 180 second holding patterns for responses, IMO. 21 seconds left.

Old 04-21-10, 01:49 PM
I am 35. Heard of the names Mutt & Jeff, that is it

Old 04-21-10, 05:44 PM
I'm 34, but I do remember seeing a good cross section of old and new children's shows such as Howdy Doody and BJ and the Dirty Dragon. So I'm of the opinion that most children's shows back then were conceived by wicked people in order to frighten children. Which is better than then their successors, which seem to made to be as inane and uncreative as possible.
Mr. Rogers Neighborhood had good intentions, but the "land of make believe" puppet show put me into a stupor.
I won't even get into Barney. Although I've seen some of the shows my niece watches, and they check out ok.

Beards.

Old 04-21-10, 06:55 PM
I still love Tom & Jerry cartoons. Some of the modern cartoons make me wonder where the humor is.

Old 04-21-10, 07:24 PM
390 and 580. Those are the numbers of the average man's whiskers on the cheek and on the chin, per square inch. And 13,000 total facial whiskers (not sure if that includes neck.)

If you want to stand close in front of a mirror, you could probably make a reasonable guess as to what your count is, simply by seeign how far apart each whisker is, in fraction of an inch - then figure it out by how many of those fractions make up a linear inch, then square that.

I was goshing with you by saying I only had about 16 per inch on my cheeks. I probably really have about 70. ??? LOL. In order to make it appear I have a nice beard that covers the skin, I'd need to grow a 4 inch long beard and have each whisker curl around. LOL.

I really am jealous of those guys who have say 1/64th inch long whiskers, and you can see that dark shadow. I've always thought that looks totally macho cool.

Old 04-21-10, 10:32 PM
Appease me if you will, why do guys want a beard or mustache?

Old 04-21-10, 11:11 PM
I use my the electric razors "stubble" setting on my goatee. Keeps it from looking thin. If i let it grow it sticks straight out and looks horrible. Way thicker on right side of my face. Let it grow for up to three weeks, one inch long and it never lays down. No sideburns at all. Worst beard on earth. But when I shaved it off, all I got were comments "whats with the little boy look?" "I much prefer you with a goatee". Its not a good beard but makes me look tougher.

Old 04-21-10, 11:31 PM
okay, I understand about the baby face, but is this coming from women or men? If men, is it more important to look tough than look younger? I guess it's all in how you feel and like about yourself. I've recently changed my hairstyle and people think I am younger than I am. At my age that is a big plus. So would I want the look of maturity verse the look of MINUS 10+ years, NOT!

Old 04-22-10, 07:26 AM
I just don't like to shave and will try to avoid it if I can help it. One woman I knew told me I looked better with a beard. Probably should trim it though.

Old 04-22-10, 12:48 PM
nesportsfan, thanks for sharing, I hate to shave my legs, but there are some things we girls need to do, and we don't live in Europe!

Old 04-22-10, 01:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by NEsportsfan View Post
I just don't like to shave
Me too! My wife says she'd like to see me one time without my beard but I'm not certain she could take the shock

Old 04-22-10, 01:40 PM
marksr, that might be a good way to add some spice to your marriage.

Old 04-22-10, 01:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It ain't gonna happen!! Even if she could handle the shock, not certain I could

Old 04-22-10, 03:52 PM
chilly, when I was 4 or 5 years old, I was in the hospital due to chronic ear infections. A minute after my parents left the hospital room, I was screaming very loudly. My parents went back to the room and the nurse was trying to wash my face. Apparently I did the same thing to my parents. If a g/f makes me shave, I will, but I look 15 years yonger if I'm shaved which means I get carded when I go to a liquor store.

Old 04-22-10, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by chilly.az.girl View Post
Appease me if you will, why do guys want a beard or mustache?
It means you have hormones. Unfortunately, so did my grandma, when she was about 75. She developed a wiry beard.

Old 04-22-10, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
I use my the electric razors "stubble" setting on my goatee. Keeps it from looking thin. If i let it grow it sticks straight out and looks horrible. Way thicker on right side of my face. Let it grow for up to three weeks, one inch long and it never lays down. No sideburns at all. Worst beard on earth. But when I shaved it off, all I got were comments "whats with the little boy look?" "I much prefer you with a goatee". Its not a good beard but makes me look tougher.
Gee. Now I feel better.

Mine has grown out more since my original posting here and is not looking THAT bad I guess. My goatee and moustache are thick enough. It has just been the cheeks I wish could match my goatee.

I use a brush and brush it down and it looks denser that way. I still am jealous of the guys with super dense beards. As long as you have to shave anyway................(except of course for Santa Claus II, who has been posting in this thread.)

Old 04-22-10, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
It ain't gonna happen!! Even if she could handle the shock, not certain I could
I know what you mean, only to a lesser degree. I have had at least a moustache for the last 30 years, and a goatee along with it for the last 10 or so. I think I look cool with the facial hair and look real plain looking without. Like some women with no eyelashes who do not use shadow and mascara - sort of thing.

Old 04-22-10, 06:15 PM
okay nesportsfan, I am curious of your age bracket, 20-30, 30-40, 40-50, or past that? I'm guessing 20-30 or 35. Thanks guys for sharing this information, maybe one of you can help me with my buying/selling vehicle post!

Old 04-23-10, 03:38 PM
I'm 35 years old, 18 years past high school

Old 04-24-10, 12:46 AM
kinda guessed that was your age. When you get in your 40s, you might like them asking for your I'd.

Old 04-24-10, 04:37 AM
It's much better than them asking for your Medicare card. Anything you grow on your face will be pure white, so buy stock in beard coloring companies early on.

Old 04-24-10, 02:30 PM
That program probably won't be around by the time I get to that age. As you might have guessed, I don't have much faith in government.

Old 04-25-10, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
It's much better than them asking for your Medicare card. Anything you grow on your face will be pure white, so buy stock in beard coloring companies early on.
Speaking of that... went to macdonalds for coffee. Charged me the senior rate. Wait a minute.... I'm only 54. Whats the senior age at mcdonalds? My beard has gone from a twinge of gray to a twinge of black but really... I rationalize that it was a young immigrant Asian gal and she cant judge caucasian ages yet so really...I ripped off mcdonalds right?. I know...I'm grasping

Old 04-26-10, 02:42 PM
I want to be the one to "ask" for the senior discount. I don't want some pimple faced 16 year old whipper snapper thinking they can judge my age by my limp and gray hair/beard. Used to go country dancing a lot and at one place the kid at the door would ask for ID.....I just looked at him over my glasses and told him I had socks older than him. He would just say yessir, and let me go in.