Maby I watch to much DIU programming??

Old 04-23-10, 01:34 PM
Question Maby I watch to much DIU programming??

As the title states, I watch a lot of DIY shows and I have noticed something most others would not catch.
Many times when someone is using a drill motor to install or remove screws, it spins to the left when installing and to the right when removing. Left hand threads on sheetrock screws----I don't think so
Anybody else noticed this or is it just where I live?

I couldn't change the title but lets pretend it reads----
MAYBE I WATCH TOO MANY DIU TV PROGRAMS??

Last edited by Giles; 04-23-10 at 04:08 PM. Reason: words added--spelling corrected
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-10, 01:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Watching the drill bits direction of rotation
You either watch too much tv or have too much time on your hands

I notice a lot of things on the various diy shows that makes me cringe.... but I've never noticed the drill's rotation. Maybe the film got reversed

Old 04-23-10, 01:45 PM
Group Moderator
Sears has a commercial on TV for their lithium ion line of tools and they show a spade bit spinning counter-clockwise

Old 04-23-10, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
You guys are funny.....

Its just the way it appears when its filmed/video taped. Using a stobe-tac I can make rotating things appear to move the opposite direction just by adjusting the frequency.

btw Giles...the title states "DIU" programming....lol. Maybe thats why things spin backwards for you....LOL

Old 04-23-10, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
You guys are funny.....

Its just the way it appears when its filmed/video taped. Using a stobe-tac I can make rotating things appear to move the opposite direction just by adjusting the frequency.

btw Giles...the title states "DIU" programming....lol. Maybe thats why things spin backwards for you....LOL
Guess I had a "senior moment" I tried to edit the title but couldn't, so I added a sentance at bottom.
As I stated, I notice a lot of things that other people miss and maby I miss the important things sometimes

Old 04-23-10, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
Giles...yer killin me!!!! lol...you spelled it the same way! Just kidding buddy....

Old 04-23-10, 05:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's probably the strobe light effect, with all the bright lights needed for filming. I have watched plenty of westerns wondering why the wagon is not going backwards.

Old 04-24-10, 02:43 PM
Amazing how the contruction sites on those shows it looks almost clean enough to eat off the floor. I have been on more than a few construction sites over the years, and never have seen one as clean as on TV.

Old 04-24-10, 04:04 PM
We always kept ours clean(except below), whether big industrial or commercial jobs, or in my own private run business. We all did it out of pride and safety and work efficiency for the next day, or to keep things from getting marred, or becoming inbedded in a muddy jobsite if it rained, etc.. Plus I did it so neighbors would not have to look out their window at a mess, wondering when we'd finish with the job, having to look at a mess up until then.

Only one job, as I recall, was left a mess until the end, because it was almost impossible due to having gutted a portion of the house - and everything became intertwined outside, into a giant heap of mishmash of various debris types, all interlocked. This was in some outlying burg that was perhaps before the days of rolloff dumpsters (where people usually got ahold of some local guy with a dump truck), and/or was not cost effective to get one (can't recall).