Table saw incident

Old 04-28-10, 09:43 PM
Table saw incident

Nicked my thumb pretty good on the table saw. Used the push stick for the first 2 cuts but didn't need it for the last. WRONG. Thumbs still there.

People see the dressing and so many say they were cut too. Seems everyone has a table saw story.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-10, 03:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Man, sorry to hear about the accident. Still have all mine, thankfully. Guess people think I'm a little paranoid, but I buy the best push plates (not sticks), feather boards, etc. to help keep my hands from the blade area, and replace them if I nick them or damage them otherwise. Vermont American seems to have the best design I have used so far. Keeps the hands 4" from the blade and has a good push detent as well as a rubber toe to help you "twist" the wood back into the fence should it start to wander.
One of my helpers cut his hand using the saw, declared he was using the push plate and couldn't understand why he cut it. I asked him to replicate what he was doing. He was following the wood with his bare left hand, cutting a dado. Oooh, dado blades are unforgiving. I told him he should put his left hand in his back pocket until the cut is complete.

Old 04-29-10, 04:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I feel your pain I cut the tip of my thumb off a couple of years ago [actually it never hurt, must have cut off the nerve too]

Never have figured out exactly how my thumb came in contact with the blade since it happened after I was done making the cut but it didn't take but a second for it to happen

You can't be too safe around anything with a blade, it pays to be careful!

Old 04-29-10, 06:31 AM
Years ago I was helping a friend rip 2X4s to build a fishing shanty. We had already ripped a bunch and were yakking as we finished the last few. My friend fed a 2X4 into the saw without a push stick and cut off his thumb just below the mid joint. I don't think he even realixed what he had done until he saw the blood. We put his thumb in a bag and took him to a hospital where they sewed it back on. He still has it, but it doesn't work. It just sticks out like a hitchhiker's.

Ripping wood on a table saw is one of the most dangerous jobs in a shop. How many here still have the blade guard and kerf opener on their saws? I don't and I still have all my digits, but that's because I'm super careful around a table saw.

Old 04-29-10, 06:35 AM
Knock on wood, I've been using a table saw since I was 12, that's over 50 years and they still scare the he!! out of me. Worked my junior to senior year summer in an old timer wood shop. Those were the days before osha and there wasn't a guard on anything and everyone there could wave to you. Sometimes I think guards give a false sense of security, but I still use them.

I get the shudders when the home improvement shows give a skill saw, chop saw, or table saw job to a first time home owner. Until you have experienced a kick-back, you just don't appreciate how fast things can happen. Still shuddering.

Glad you have something left to mend.

Bud

Old 04-29-10, 11:27 AM
I don't think I have ever injured myself on a table saw and the ancient saw I have doesn't have any blade guard or kerf splitter. I HAVE injured myself on just about every other kind of tool though. I almost cut the end off of an index finger on two different occasions on a band saw. I drilled a hole into my thigh with an electric drill. Probably whacked my hand or arm a few times using a drill press without securing the piece I was drilling.

I've ground my knee with an angle grinder and I can't count the number of times I've burnt myself soldering or welding. I even injure myself when cooking, I was once making a seafood stew for a woman I was seeing and I darn near cut the end off my thumb while butterflying shrimp. I had to tape it up really tight to stop the bleeding and I dare anyone to butterfly shrimp with one thumb taped up to three times its normal size.

Then I think back to all the really stupid things I did when I was working for a living. Things like walking on four-inch piping a good 20 feet above the floor just to place a strap around a roof beam and then hang a chain fall. What was really stupid is that I went back a couple of years later to remove the strap!

Old 04-29-10, 02:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Worked my junior to senior year summer in an old timer wood shop. Those were the days before osha and there wasn't a guard on anything and everyone there could wave to you.
My grandfather was a carpenter back in the days that the only power tool on the job was a table saw. They made all their miter cuts on that saw freehand Like many carpenters from his era, he had several fingers that missing either all or in part
But that didn't stop them from doing quality work. I remember in mid 50's to early 60's him critiquing 'modern' carpentry with the phrase "I wouldn't let them build me an outhouse"

btw - he retired in the late 40's.... and never owned a power tool or drove a car.

Old 04-29-10, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
My grandfather was a carpenter back in the days that the only power tool on the job was a table saw. They made all their miter cuts on that saw freehand Like many carpenters from his era, he had several fingers that missing either all or in part
But that didn't stop them from doing quality work. I remember in mid 50's to early 60's him critiquing 'modern' carpentry with the phrase "I wouldn't let them build me an outhouse"

btw - he retired in the late 40's.... and never owned a power tool or drove a car.
Thats hard to imagine. Especailly in the 40's. Thats where all the jokes about how many beer a carpenter could order came from. I was born in 56. Started out as a lineman for several years. Thought it was wimpy when they gave us an electric drill and a generator instead of a hand auger to drill through poles 20 feet up. We thought we were geniuses when we smashed a screwdriver to get the bit and then use an electric drill to put in screws. Figured we'd make a million dollars with that idea.

Old 04-29-10, 05:48 PM
I'm too old to be throwing around a chain saw, but that didn't stop me a few years ago and the saw almost won. It had got me twice already so I thought I was being more careful. Made a cut on some small birch and transferred the saw to my left hand as I leaned over to push on the cut tree so it would fall where I wanted. Well, the saw was winding down, but my lean dropped it right on my left thigh. Feel the pain, no, barely got me . Made a real mess of the two hundred in twenties I had folded in that pocket. Cut that wad right in half and stopped just as the teeth were getting a bite into my thigh. I took the rest of the day off to catch my breath. No more "one hand on the saw" ever again.

I still use the same old saw, but the sucker will have to find someone else to chew on when it's hungry.

Mark, did you catch the episode of Dirty Jobs where they visited a shingle mill. That one was unreal, especially in today's times.

Bud

Old 04-29-10, 07:08 PM
Group Moderator
Oddly enough, I have a small bruise on my left arm from a table saw kick back from about 5 days ago. I haven't had one of them for about 20 years. Still have all my digits though!