Being paid to dispense advice

Old 05-07-10, 12:46 AM
Being paid to dispense advice

I received the following personal message today:

Dear furd,

I see that you have been an involved expert contributor on the DoItYourself forums. I'm writing you because, at HomeTips.com--a leading home improvement site on the Web--we're looking for a few experts who we will pay to write articles for us.

Would you be interested in doing some paid writing for HomeTips? We are assembling a list of topic areas that wed like to expand, and we will be offering this list to a select group of HomeTips contributors. We will pay $25 per accepted article. My guess is that, with your expertise, you might be able to write a couple of articles in one sitting.
If this sounds like something youd be interested in exploring, please reply to me and I will send you details on how to start.
This was from a poster with zero posts. Of course I didn't reply because I think it could be some kind of scam and I'm perfectly happy sharing my knowledge on this site for free.

Anyone else get this PM?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-10, 05:12 AM
Group Moderator
Didn't see it; when you get something like that report it to a mod so the member will be banned.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 05-07-10 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-07-10, 07:58 AM
Group Moderator
I got it also. The site does seem to be legit and I have traded one email with the original poster and so far no request for money or personal info.

Long before the internet there were schemes where you could enter your writing to be judged and of course they always thought your writing was excellent then they just needed a few dollars to help you. Of course if you have ever received a letter from a Nigerian prince you know the rest. So far no indication this is that but who knows.

Old 05-07-10, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Furd, please forward the pm to me so I can ban him. I don't know who it is with this post alone. Thanks.

Old 05-07-10, 10:31 AM
Forwarded to Shadeladie as requested.

Old 05-07-10, 04:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I got it, too. Wow $25 for three hours worth of research and writing. Is that poverty level, or what? I get paid more than that, here.....or do I? Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-07-10, 05:50 PM
I got it too. I thought I was special. I bet so did you. I was going to take him up on it, but the more I thought about it, the more I could not think what I would write about, as an expert.

In our local paper, several energy expert contributors had the plug pulled on them (one by one, over time) as they would use their MIT or Harvard degrees to write an article telling people to caulk drafty spots, put in cfl's, turn off lights when leaving rooms, change furnace filters, etc..

Old 05-07-10, 06:23 PM
I got one too but they told me that I would have to pay them 25 dollars for every article I wrote. They said that while my writing was very enthusiastic and seemed to at least make an attempt to be articulate, my technical accuracy was the worst thing they had ever seen and they promised me that the $25.00 would go straight toward a legal insurance fund, in case my advice ever "put their a*s in a sling." Whatever that means. I said no way when I can post here for free.

Hey furd - I think your advice is worth money too.
Same with the rest of you regulars. Keeps me interested in this site.

Old 05-07-10, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
I think they may be drumming up posters for their forum. I've actually responded to a couple with no replies and there was no follow up by the OP or any other posters.

Old 05-07-10, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by mickblock View Post

Hey furd - I think your advice is worth money too.
Thanks, Mick.

I wouldn't feel right about getting paid. Much of what I have learned over the years has been from older and wiser people helping me. Since I am now older (but not necessarily wiser) it is my turn to help others.

Old 05-08-10, 02:26 PM
There is some ill-defined fine line to where you help people for free - or get paid for it. It is sort of strange, actually, how we are eager to help people here, but may be reluctant if a deluge of neighbors called you up and wanted you to come over and coach them on how to fix technical stuff.

Old 05-08-10, 02:42 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I got it, too. Wow $25 for three hours worth of research and writing. Is that poverty level, or what? I get paid more than that, here.....or do I? Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You get paid with our love and respect! **HUG**

Old 05-09-10, 06:48 AM
Aw, shucks, Scott. That means a lot. I think Dave has it right on. That fine line between truly helping a DIY'er and giving advice to someone who is trying to build a trade for profit and going to the University of Do It Yourself.com. That's not to say we shouldn't banter back and forth on a professional level. I think posters can learn a lot from our experiences.

Old 05-09-10, 10:44 AM
Or our mistakes, which do happen from time to time, like using a hammer and chisel to free a stuck piston in a jet ski engine ( a friend of mine did that when he wasn't sober)

Old 05-09-10, 11:18 AM
That's so odd...just thinking....you use a wooden block and fiberglas or rubber hammer to fix things on motors made of aluminum or steel. We use iron hammers and hard steel chisels to work with wood.