Isn't It strange...

Old 05-17-10, 09:19 AM
Group Moderator
Isn't It strange...

You have people posting very worried about a minor exposure to lead or asbestos which is unlikely to be harmful but they will spend hundreds of dollars to install a tanning bed that emits a known cause of skin cancer.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-10, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Yes it is.

How about those same fears in comparison to smoking cigarettes or second hand smoke!

Old 05-17-10, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Fears? Fears? I ain't got no stinking fears!

(Puff, puff) Now you'll have to (Cough, cough)(Swig, swig)(Puff, puff) excuse me. I need to (Swig, swig)(Puff, puff) get back on the top step of my stepladder with my chainsaw (Puff,puff) and cut that 6" thick 10ft long dead limb (Puff,swig) thats above my powerlines.

Then I need to go check if the sky is falling....LOL

Old 05-17-10, 04:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think I am the exception to the rule of ex-smoker's being the most militant anti-smoking crowds. I still like the smell of it occasionally, but have no desire to start again.

Old 05-17-10, 05:45 PM
Oh, don't get me started on people smoking......One of my newer helpers (in his 50's) works 45 minutes and smokes for 15, so I'm gonna have to do something. If fresh air hits his lungs he has to light up. We are working in a LEEDS building, so no smoking within 25 feet of the building.
Well, today was "his" day. His body finally decided to buck on him. He couldn't even climb a flight of stairs. Complained of shortness of breath and felt like he was choking. I sent him home and told him to do something about his problem and call me in a few days, but he wouldn't be smoking on my jobsites, so get it fixed. I hated doing that, but he was not only jeopardizing his health, but wasting my money and time. Hopefully he can get his act together.

Old 05-18-10, 12:48 PM
I was never that bad. Granted it may have helped not strarting until I was 23 and quitting at 33.

Old 05-18-10, 02:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Gee, what made you want to start smoking at age 23 - you should be smart enough to know better by then

Like many I started smoking in my teens Tried hard so I could be cool I quit once during my 20's but got divorced and picked them back up Spent about 10 yrs quitting, finally succeeded around age 40. I like to joke and say quitting is easy, after all I did it about 50 times

I'm not sure there is anything that will make a better impact on your health than to quit smoking! Best to never start

Old 05-18-10, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
Back in the olden days when smoking was "Kool" it use to tick me off that the smokers could take mini-breaks from the job. The smokers could take time to do nothing while fiddling with their cancer sticks. On the other hand as a non-smoker I had no excuse to just stop work and do really nothing. I always felt that the morning and afternoon breaks for non-smokers should be ten or fifteen minutes longer to make up for the extra time we put in when the smokers were just fiddling around with their cigarettes.

Old 05-18-10, 03:47 PM
I always liked the smell if it was a non-generic cigarette and a friend was smoking so I asked for one. I tried it and got so high on it, I was falling up the steps to a library ( couldn't walk to well).

Old 05-18-10, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
You have people posting very worried about a minor exposure to lead or asbestos which is unlikely to be harmful but they will spend hundreds of dollars to install a tanning bed that emits a known cause of skin cancer.
Take lead. IS it overblown - or not? I know that exposure for children has more dire consequences. Concentration level limits I am not sure on.

But I find the new rules that went in effect April 2010 to be interesting in the fact that as strict as it appears, and the $32,500 possible fine PER DAY........that they will allow someone to "disturb" up to 6 square feet PER ROOM (without having to hire a licensed lead abatement, person to tackle the job - and up to 20 square feet on the exterior. Whatever "disturb" means. AT SW where I got the publication, there was no asterisk when it talked about disturbing. I know that if you used a power sander on a wall inside - THAT sure be 'disturbing'. But if they are so afraid kids could breathe lead dust or eat a few small paint chips, how could they allow anyone to even disturb 1 square inch?!

The asterisk business I was refering to would be for them to say have an asterisk when they said about who and when you do not have to be licensed(under their 'exception to the rules' heading), when working with lead paint, that they do not refer you to say a lengthier publication that goes into greater detail.

Old 05-18-10, 04:36 PM
I remember when I was 18 I got away with quitting cold turkey no sweat after smoking four years. The next time I went cold turkey I had to remind myself and re-decide constantly before quitting. Wonder what it'll be like this time. I know once I stop I won't miss it. And I definitely can relate to the posts talking about how it kills productivity. I don't get that at work 'cause there's no smoking. But when I do my own projects, or just even do anything with my own free time, holy cow what a distraction! So to you non-smokers - I envy you.

Old 05-19-10, 03:53 AM
Well, I smoked my first cigarette when I was 12 years old. Swore if I could die I'd feel better. Never picked up another one in 50 years. No desire. Now, don't get between me and my Redman, there'll be trouble. Don't chew daily or anything like that. Just when I'm out on my tractor or ZTR. Enjoy the taste, believe it or not.

Old 05-19-10, 03:24 PM
I seemed to do my best thinking and hard work with a cig hanging out my lips. Now I look at guys peddling their bikes while they are smoking, like they are nuts. I quit 25 years ago, and missed every minute of it for several years. it was the habit of it. But I consoled myself with this thought: It is abnormal for man to be a walking smokestack. And I was one. I would light one off the other. I don't know what is worse though. A friend of mine is a human garbage can. He is always telling me how good a certain food is. I tell him that every food he talks about (basically everything known to man) he says is good.