Duh!!

Old 05-18-10, 12:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Duh!!

A city near the town I live in did a beautiful job repaving a heavily used residential road (stripped old pavement down to dirt, and redid the whole road) A month later this same road was dug up to install new sewer pipes and shoddily patched. This happened a few years ago, but I was on that road yesterday and driving on it made me remember.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-10, 01:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't tell me you expected the gov't to be efficiently run???

Back in the 70's I was on a crew painting barracks on an army base. The demolition crew wanted us to hurry up and paint certain buildings first - so they could begin their scheduled demolition of them

Old 05-18-10, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by NEsportsfan View Post
A city near the town I live in did a beautiful job repaving a heavily used residential road (stripped old pavement down to dirt, and redid the whole road) A month later this same road was dug up to install new sewer pipes and shoddily patched. This happened a few years ago, but I was on that road yesterday and driving on it made me remember.
So that happens in your town also. My dad used to talk about that all the time).

Old 05-18-10, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
When they started closing Treasure Island as a Naval Station due to BRAC in about '95, they still had contractors digging up and replacing steam and sewer lines and repaving streets. I asked a guy in Public Works why didn't they just cancel the contract since basically the Navy would be gone in a year? He said that the penalty for canceling the contract..since they had already done some of the work..would cost more than letting them finish. And we aren't talking a couple of hundred thou...it was like $5 mil.

Crazy stuff out there, huh?

Old 05-18-10, 10:30 PM
Hey don't knock poor coordination.

I got my 5 minutes of fame for just this reason back in 1974. City had just paved a bunch of alleys. We came along with jack hammers and cut trenches across to put in our new buried phone lines to each and every house on the other side of the alley. Made the news three times that day while jack hammering away. Everyone saw me! (Jack hammering really hurt in my hands.) Revolutionized the way things were done after that.

Old 05-19-10, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Crazy stuff out there, huh?
That is what I initally thought when the lady told me today that she is homeschooling her kids next year. And the school district is supplying her with books and computer for free. I was like WHAT?! I said who is paying for that do you suppose? Then she explained that homeschooling means less students, means less teachers, means less new schools to build. Ahhh.......maybe NOT not so dumb then.

Old 05-20-10, 05:35 AM
If I had kids and could afford to, I would homeschool. Some of the teachers I had in school really should have been in a different line of work.

Old 05-20-10, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by NEsportsfan View Post
Don't be too quick to point the finger at government inefficiency! Its possible the sewer lines that were replaced were individual home service lines that failed. Also, the lines might have been municipal sewer lines, but they failed unexpectedly or due to the vibration or loading of the construction machinery. Some cities arbitrarily replace all sewer lines when doing major roadway work, but usually "if ain't broke, don't fix it" prevails, and roads are usually repaved over existing utility lines.

The water and sewer lines in many cities are well over 100 years old, and while it would be nice to replace them all, the logistics of doing so is mind-boggling. So its usually a case of replacement when they fail, rather than coordinated with other construction.

Old 05-20-10, 09:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some years ago I worked an off duty traffic post on a suburban two lane road. First they opened a 500' stretch to replace the sewer line. Then closed it with hot asphalt. repeated next day to complete the sewer. Next day tore it up and redid water lines and filled it in and hot asphalt. Another two day job. Next day reopened it to run new gas main and to tap new gas lines to the homes in that stretch. Yep, two more days. A final close and hot asphalt and we were done. Pay was good and got a good tan on my arms, but hate the smell of hot asphalt. General contractor said each utility was a separate contract so had to be done one at a time.

Old 05-20-10, 11:51 AM
Group Moderator
You know how sometimes the juxtapositions of the different articles in the paper make you go what?

Well about 30 years ago there was one article in the paper about the new rigid asbestos water lines. Main question was concerning the safety of asbestos water line but among the comments from the water department was because of the constantly shifting ground due to heat and subsidence the rigid pipe is less likely to break.

Well on the same page there was a question about the gas company switching to plastic pipe. Their explanation was because of the constantly shifting ground due to heat and subsidence the flexible pipe is less likely to break.

Old 05-22-10, 11:24 AM
Forgot to mention that the city has it's own utility system, so I am pretty sure I saw the same guys doing everything.

Old 07-27-10, 07:43 PM
Around here the municipalities have a 5-year "no cut" rule for newly paved roads, meaning no pavement cuts are allowed except for restoration of service to existing customers.

Old 07-28-10, 03:27 AM
No cut rules make sense. You have the future requirements of the area already in the plans, so you can do taps prior to development. Nothing as bad as driving in a 1 year old subdivision with cuts and patches in the pavement. Shows poor planning to me.

Old 07-28-10, 03:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Talk about poor planning, there is an intersection in a town near here that was under construction for about 10 yrs

Started out as a 2 lane road with an off ramp from the interstate. Traffic was too heavy so they added a traffic light which only helped a little. They then widened the road to 4 lanes which entailed cutting back the bridge supports. Still too much traffic for the intersection so they built a new bridge over the road, added a 2nd traffic light and tore out the old bridge. By the time they got done, walmart built a store down the road so they added a turn lane to the intersection. 1 week after walmart opened, they realized turn lane wasn't enough so they added a 2nd turn lane.

I don't know who was responsible for predicting future traffic flow for this intersection but either they weren't very competent or planned for a lot of job security