Blood Donation

Old 05-25-10, 01:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Blood Donation

Got my 4 gallon blood donation pin today from the Red Cross, took 18 years to do it, so plese don't be too impressed.

Beer 4U2Beer 4U2 sticking to fruit juice today to make up for the lost fluids.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-10, 03:05 PM
Group Moderator
Would love to donate myself, but last two overseas deployments in Europe before I retired prevent it. Mad cow you know. GI2

Old 05-25-10, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
Yep...same as TG...they said 2 or 3 yrs(?) just from malaria meds...and then it was even longer depending on where you had been.

I need to check again...its been 10 yrs now...maybe I can start again...

Old 05-25-10, 04:08 PM
Heard that if you have Lyme disease you are banned for life becasue it never entirely leaves you.

Old 05-25-10, 05:34 PM
Until I moved to the mountains, I gave platelets via apheresis. Pretty cool. Garden hose in one arm, garden hose in other arm. They circulate your blood through a machine to remove a certain amount of platelets for cancer patients, etc. You don't miss them and there is no volume loss so back to work. You look a little funny with gauze taped to your elbows for a few hours, but I felt good knowing I could help a specific need.
For most folks it would take an hour and a half to deliver one "recipe" of platelets. They found I could deliver 2 in 30 minutes, so I didn't need an appointment. Just dropped in when I felt like it. Also you can give platelets every few days, rather than waiting the 60 days or whatever it is for blood.

Old 05-25-10, 06:55 PM
I've donated 5 gallons, it didn't take me long, I was just committed to going every 60 days or so.

Old 05-26-10, 12:30 PM
Congrats Melissa, they don't have the platelet option in my state. I have taken a few years off, and I have done red blood cells until my state said it wasn't legal until the Red Cross people did somme kind of training program.