Police officers covered with tatoos?

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-10, 09:37 AM
Police officers covered with tatoos?

I was talking to a policeman yesterday about a loud music complaint. He was wearing short sleeves and his arms were completely covered with tatoos. I have been seeing this a bit more lately with police officers in my area. But never to this extent

Initially one thinks this is totally unprofessional. But the officer seemed professional and capable. In some areas, I wonder if it might even help the officer bond with the youth community and make him seem "like a regular guy."

Any opinions on this? Because find myself reserving judgement on this one.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-10, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
Short answer? I don't like to see it. I'll have to remember to ask my little brother about it; he's a sergeant with the S.O. a couple of counties away. Of course, their sheriff has them all in long sleeve shirts and ties 365 days a year (maybe they're ALL tattooed).

Old 05-26-10, 10:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sheriff in my part of the world will not hire an officer with tattoos which are visible when wearing a short sleeve shirt. Those who were on the dept when this went into effect have a choice, either have them removed or wear a long sleeved shirt year round.

Wants all officers lean and clean. No "you in a heap of trouble boy" mirror sunglasses wearing Dodge commercial sheriffs around here.

Old 05-26-10, 03:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sort of like the waiters and waitresses with studs in their face and tongue. Pulllleeessse, send me another waiter, until this one grows up and realizes how horrible it looks. Tattoos may have a place. Not sure where, yet. But in a professional setting, absolutely no. Hide 'em or work at a greasy spoon serving slop, with your face studded friends.

Old 05-26-10, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
Many LEO are ex-military. Lots of them have ink. And the younger types have grown up with all their friends getting tats, even getting baby and partners names on their necks (stupid stupid stupid!) Heck..my Dad had them on bicep and forearm of both arms. WWII torpedoman...it was the thing to do.

Funny thing is...when I was in the Navy...they had to be non-visible in uniform...kinda hard in summer whites. And it was actually a punishable offence to get them overseas due to the infection and disease issues. Pinky's in HK was about the only place I would have considered it...but I talked myself out of it.

I don't look at ink ...I look at the person underneath. Everyone was young and dumb once.

Old 05-26-10, 04:44 PM
I have a tongue stud, but it isn't noticeable unless I stick my tongue out.

Old 05-27-10, 12:13 PM
I have to say I just don't approve of the tattos on police officers. I don't think it presents the right image for the police department.

But at the same time, you can't let it cloud your judgement of a person, which is the point Gunguy might be conveying. This is the third time I have dealth with an officer with excessive tatoos. And in each case, their behavior was totally professional.

Old 05-27-10, 03:10 PM
Up here it seems everyone under 30 has ink. I could care less. The more people I meet with tatoos, the more I find them to be professional etc. However, once they hit the face and even the neck a bit I start to wonder if the person has issues. Same with extreme piercing, big ears, lips, etc. Saw a contractor in his 50s the other day with a nipple ring. Come on, talk about wanting to be noticed.
My adult kids have tatoos that are considered "tasteful". Several of my friends have them (and we're mid 50s). I don't cause I could never decide on something I wanted for life. When I was in shape wanted one on arm, chest, or shoulder but now that would just look bad.

Old 05-28-10, 03:47 AM
I agree with Vic and bluesbreaker, wholeheartedly. BUT, professionals have a professional image to convey. I just don't think piercings and excessive tattooing convey that to moderate people. Sorry NE, just don't open your mouth if serving me food. Not a slam to you, but to my sensitivities. And I still question, why. But I'm old and just don't understand many things, still. Yeah, Vic, my dad had his initials on his forearm (WWII), and that was it.
One of my helpers is green and red for the most part. Some above the neck line. I insist on him keeping his shirt on. I asked him who "Mary" was. He gave me that look like he shouldn't have done that one. Not just the name, but her face. He's married to Joann. Bulb brightness is lacking.

Old 05-28-10, 04:32 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
But I'm old and just don't understand many things, still.
That's okay; I still don't get texting.

Old 05-28-10, 11:05 AM
Group Moderator
I tell people during the interview if the nose ring can't come out, you can't work for me

Old 05-28-10, 11:39 AM
I'm 35 and any incominng texts to my cell are automatically blocked. Cannot figure out why people cannot talk on the phone anymore, also doesn't help that it takes me 5 minutes to rename a picture I take with my phone. at those tiny buttons.

Old 05-28-10, 02:58 PM
I text and email from my phone, but it is mostly business stuff. I find it more accurate if I send things in writing to someone to make up a panel or something that I need, and mostly with pictures. "I thought you said.....", Nope, here's your sign! I got it in writing.
I hate to talk on the phone, although I wear a bluetooth daily, just in case someone wants to talk.....like my wife. I don't have to stop working to talk.

Old 06-01-10, 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by NEsportsfan View Post
I have a tongue stud, but it isn't noticeable unless I stick my tongue out.
Why? I am seriously curious. I see good looking kids all the time with pins in their noses and eyebrows and lip rings and all that stuff and my response is always the same - why?

Old 06-01-10, 05:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect the answer wouldn't make sense to any of us that have been around for awhile

Old 06-01-10, 10:01 AM
Ladies love it and that is as specific as I can say here. For more specifics you can pm me.

Old 06-01-10, 02:46 PM
We've all been around the block, and your response is sufficient. Right Vic??? Vic???

Old 06-02-10, 06:17 AM
Group Moderator
Vic's out getting his stud now.

Not to change the subject, but falling down pants?

Old 06-02-10, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
Sorry...can't find my 10 ft pole......

Old 06-02-10, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Vic's out getting his stud now.

Not to change the subject, but falling down pants?
I read an explanation of that a while ago. I don't know how true it is, but it was in an interview with a couple of gang banger punks.

Apparently when they get busted the jail staff takes away their belts and their pants hang down. A lot of them continued to wear there pants hanging down when they were released. They thought it gave them street cred as a bad guy. The fad caught on with a lot of wanna' be white kids.

Old 06-02-10, 11:30 AM
The pants falling down is about as dumb as using gasoline to fight a fire.

Old 06-02-10, 02:15 PM
Group Moderator
The pants falling down is about as dumb as using gasoline to fight a fire.
This coming from someone who paid another person to punch a hole in their tongue?

Old 06-02-10, 02:18 PM
The piercing was free by a professional for a radio station promo.

Old 06-02-10, 02:19 PM
Group Moderator
The piercing was free by a professional for a radio station promo.
IMO, you paid way too much

Old 06-02-10, 02:22 PM
Cost a LOT some other things that make ladies happy such as diamond earrings. Of course it coould be a generation gap.

Old 06-02-10, 04:03 PM
Cost a LOT some other things that make ladies happy such as diamond earrings. Of course it coould be a generation gap.
Nah, it's just that most men don't need a piece of hardware to make a woman happy, but I guess ya gotta' go with what ya got.

Old 06-02-10, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Uhmmmm...I can't do it or I would..but I think this has gotten WAY off track.

Shadeladie...TowGuy....anyone...???? Time ta close this?

Old 06-03-10, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, probably time.

Closed Thread