"Would you like to buy a poppy?"

Old 05-28-10, 05:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
"Would you like to buy a poppy?"

I went to my convenience store to get my morning coffee and roll. Out in front of both entrances were little old ladies holding poppies, and the one asked me the question.

What is your opinion on this practice? I have mine, but will save it for now. Hint: Same as when other times of the year these organizations and charities are in entry ways of dept. and grocery stores.

Off-topic: Been away from board due to college change out time of year/tremendous work rush. If I had this throughout year I'd be a rich man.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-10, 09:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it is the VFW buddy poppy, I am happy to help them. Plus wearing the poppy serves as a receipt at other locations. Beats getting "mugged" by a swarm of little girls at cookie time.

Old 05-31-10, 05:09 AM
The practice was begun by a lady in Athens, GA named Moina Michael after WWI to honor the dead of Flanders Field. There's even a 3 cent postage stamp in her honor. I lived near where there was a memorial like to her in Athens a while back. Like goldstar, I buy one and wear it proudly for the purpose it was intended, and as a sub purpose to keep from being asked 100 times in a day. Sort of like Shriners at intersections collecting for their hospital. Glad to give.....once, but not at every intersection.

Old 06-01-10, 05:29 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
The practice was begun by a lady in Athens, GA named Moina Michael after WWI to honor the dead of Flanders Field. There's even a 3 cent postage stamp in her honor. I lived near where there was a memorial like to her in Athens a while back. Like goldstar, I buy one and wear it proudly for the purpose it was intended, and as a sub purpose to keep from being asked 100 times in a day. Sort of like Shriners at intersections collecting for their hospital. Glad to give.....once, but not at every intersection.
I buy one and I wear it. It is a symbol of respect and rememberence. Entirely different from the bell ringers and most other store front accosters.

I will admit I'm a sucker for Girl Scout cookies tho. In my area the Shriners and Volunteer FD's give a little card for the windsheild to show that you have already donated.

Old 06-01-10, 10:21 AM
Girl scout cookies and i don't mix. I can easily kill a box of Samoas in a 2 mile drive. Not a spammer, cannnot sell rogaine to a bald person.

Old 06-01-10, 02:43 PM
My wife FUNDS the Girl Scouts, I believe. She'll come home with two grocery sacks of their cookies!! Last time mint chocolate and shortbread cookies.....YUK. She felt sorry for the kid because everyone had bought the others and left her with the crappy ones. Gimme the Samoas.

Old 06-01-10, 04:42 PM
Not sure if they still do or not, but Edy's made a Samoa ice cream. Tring to get to washboard from minispare, so minimal ice cream and the bricks can easily be eaten in a day or two.

Search this Thread