Gift Card Scam Alert

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-10, 05:21 AM
Group Moderator
Gift Card Scam Alert

Thought I would pass this along as a warning to anyone who might comtemplate purchasing a Gift Card with a company they never heard of. DON'T DO IT.

For Christmas last year my Mom gave my younger brother and I $50 golf gift cards. These were cards not for a specific course, but for what amounts to a golf course concierge service. Supposedly you would go on their site or call their 800 number and book your tee time at a participating course at which time you would use the dollar amount on the gift card.

Fast forward to now, the company is out of business and the card is probably worthless. Their website is down and when you call the 800 number you get a recording from another company that states they are merely the agent for distributing the cards, but to leave your name and number. I'm not optimistic about getting the money back and unfortunately will have to clue my Mom in so she will not purchase cards of this type in the future.

I would recommend anyone considering a gift card purchase to only buy one for large, well-known stores/entities or standard VISA/MC gift cards, otherwise you may be wasting your money.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-10, 11:43 AM
Wow thanks for the info I actually had givin my stepfather a gift card at xmas for a golf course use I will have to ask him if he has used it or had a problem. Thanx

Old 06-07-10, 11:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Point very well taken, never do that myself. Where do you get the Visa/MC/AMEX gift cards? Always wondered that . Hope you didn't tow too many fleabrains today!

Old 06-09-10, 04:32 PM
Group Moderator
All's well that ends well

Well, I'm rather shocked this will apparently be resolved. Got a call back from the distribution company today. They had me read them the number from the back of the card to vavildate it and then gave me instructions on how to submit it for redemption. Couple of weeks and I'll be geting a VISA gift card in the full face amount of the other card. I still stand by my opinion to probably avoid 3rd party gift cards from unknown companies.

Closed Thread