$160 milion? (Million)

Old 06-12-10, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
$160 milion? (Million)

The University of Houston has plans to build a football stadium for mere 160 million dollars. Just imagine how many scholarships they could give to academically excellent students who can't afford college. Oh sure a few athletes who barely made it out of high school and most of whom will never finish college will get a shiny new place to play and I guess that is what is important. Not the academically deserving students who don't know a Hail Mary from no prayer of getting the education they should have.

Well of course the University has a plan to pay for it. Yep, they are going to sell naming rights. Fifty million just for the main stadium. Well if they have salesmen that good maybe they ought to have them out selling naming rights to academic scholarships.

I know, I live in Texas and will have to probably go into the Witness Protection Program because of this post but I beleive we need to speak up for responsible spending and education. Enjoying a sport doesn't have to mean being irresponsible.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-10, 05:01 PM
That sounds pretty cheap for a real stadium these days.

Part of the reasons for a University to promote athletics (especially football in Texas/SW) is to attract more students (not just jocks), but to fill out the social and school experience. Even a TV game is an opportunity to promote a school - ever seen the school commercials on national TV? I think much of the commercials are heavily backed by alumni and supporters, since most schools cannot or not footing the bill for production and promoting air time. Professors are notoriously poor promoters, but great at getting specialized grants and educating.

The controversy between athletics and sports will never end (hopefully), but is healthy.

Our local university is conservation and generally against growth of athletics, but still built a new stadium (no real home stadium for about 15 years or more) for very much more than less than 160 million. It was due to needing support from the community, alumni, supporters/donors and economists.

Selling naming rights is not bad because the people buying the naming rights will definitely use it in national promotion related to the university.

Dick

Old 06-12-10, 06:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Our local college just went from a 2 year to 4 year cirriculum, and apparently have many benefactors that want the college to "modern" up a little. (begun in 1886) There is a 10 year building program with a building a year projected. Good for the local economy. They just finished one dormitory. The current building is a $16M recreation facility which will help bring their basketball program into competition. I was lucky enough to be PM for the millworks people from Atlanta. Hopefully the same GC will bid on the future buildings.

Old 06-12-10, 06:55 PM
I imagine the school wil get milllions for TV rights and eventually will make more than they spent for the stadium.

Old 06-12-10, 07:55 PM
Before I went to UConn, the citizens of CT had the same argument about building Gampel Pavilion. The men's and women's basketball teams hadn't done well enough to "deserve" it to that point. So the citizenry questioned why should a fabulous 10,000 seat stadium be built for them?

The pavilion was opened in 1990. Because the coaches could recruit better players by stating, "our home stadium will seat over 8000 people" the teams won more games. More people went to the games, better players were recruited and in the 1994-1995 basketball season, the women won the National Championship. In 1999, the men won their first national championship. Not too long after, both the men's and women's teams won the championship in the same year (and were the first men/women team to do so).

In the 1990s the same question of building a new stadium for the football team was asked. Just a few years after opening the new football stadium the huskies won their first bowl game.

After the men and women's teams won their championships enrollment at the university jumped dramatically.

So, spending that may not be a bad idea after all.

Old 06-13-10, 01:36 AM
We're having the same debate here. I'm not a proponent of a domed stadium but I sadly think its in the cards. Huge expense for us taxpayers but of course we are home to the Sask Roughriders.

Old 06-13-10, 04:16 AM
Group Moderator
College sports are BIG BUSINESS, especially football; that's why the big bucks are spent. More than a little happy our daughter attends a small liberal arts college whose footbabll team is undefeated since the school opened.

Old 06-13-10, 07:45 AM
LOL tow guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-10, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Melissa_E View Post
Before I went to UConn, the citizens of CT had the same argument about building Gampel Pavilion. The men's and women's basketball teams hadn't done well enough to "deserve" it to that point. So the citizenry questioned why should a fabulous 10,000 seat stadium be built for them?

The pavilion was opened in 1990. Because the coaches could recruit better players by stating, "our home stadium will seat over 8000 people" the teams won more games. More people went to the games, better players were recruited and in the 1994-1995 basketball season, the women won the National Championship. In 1999, the men won their first national championship. Not too long after, both the men's and women's teams won the championship in the same year (and were the first men/women team to do so).

In the 1990s the same question of building a new stadium for the football team was asked. Just a few years after opening the new football stadium the huskies won their first bowl game.

After the men and women's teams won their championships enrollment at the university jumped dramatically.

So, spending that may not be a bad idea after all.
UConn women's basketball program is one of the few women's programs that actually make money for the school. They are 7 times National Champs. Gampel just underwent major (read expensive) renovations last year. It is still a dump.

The bottom line is $160 mil spent on a new stadium will most likely bring even more money to the school.

Old 06-14-10, 05:33 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by NEsportsfan View Post
LOL tow guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They have shirts that say
"Flagler College Football - STILL Undefeated!"

Old 06-14-10, 01:07 PM
According to ESPN, the school will get ann additional $20-$25 million per year in tv rights including their own stations.

Old 07-06-10, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by DonnaJim23 View Post
College Sports is really exciting to watch! There's a lot of up and coming Superstars that will create big BUZZ when they turned PRO together with million dollar contracts and endorsements. Beer 4U2
And how many more thousand don't become superstars and never receive a decent education because they were led to believe athletics was more important then academics?

Old 07-06-10, 06:14 PM
Consider instead that they were too stupid or too lazy or too a lot of other things to take advantage of what amounts to a free education.

Of course the flip side of that is that scholarships are awarded to individuals that are simply incapable of benefitting from a college education. I have long held that athletes should be held to the same admittance standards that apply to academic students.

Old 07-12-10, 01:54 PM
Definitely makes sense Wayne