why don't school buses have A/C

Old 06-13-10, 07:26 PM
why don't school buses have A/C

just wondering why do transit buses have A/C but school buses do not.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-10, 07:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
For the most part, school is in session in the winter, and it isn't needed. School districts probably opt not to have A/C as a matter of economics.

Old 06-14-10, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
Depends on where you live...I believe the ones here do and I'm pretty sure the ones in Phoenix do as well. Even in May and Sept, it's not uncommon to see 100+.

Old 06-14-10, 09:13 AM
as far as i know, that school buses having or not having an AC unit all depends on a few factors, how much $$$ the district or bus company is willing to part with. climate (south or northern region of the united states) also depends on what brand of bus is used, wheather that is a contract with Thomas, Blue Bird, Amtrans or STA or International. just like buying a car or truck online or specing out a truck or car, (or computer) many districts ar strict about the money used on transportation and its all depends on what the above named bus brands have to offer and what the lowest deal is with an air conditioner. if new bus with air conditioner at lowest price package deal is too high for the quanitity needed or the budget, those new buses will be shipped off the production floor without air conditioners for the BOE.

but if its an independant bus company (Laidlaw, First Student) other nationally known comopanies, since its a corporation, more then likely their fleets will have an air conditioner depending on the region buying them (ok, saying is you will not find first student in alaska (if thy have student transportation there from a bus company) you will most likely will NOT find an air conditioner on the bus.

Old 06-14-10, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
For the most part, school is in session in the winter, and it isn't needed. School districts probably opt not to have A/C as a matter of economics.
That plus the fact that most kids are on the bus for a short time.

Also, transit buses try to attract paying customers where school kids don't have a choice.

Old 06-14-10, 11:40 AM
Our parents and grandparents talked about how as kids they walked 10 miles to school through 6' snowdrifts and driving rainstorms. Now, our kids can brag to their grandkids how they had to ride 15 minutes to school in an unairconditioned school bus!

Old 06-14-10, 12:13 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
Our parents and grandparents talked about how as kids they walked 10 miles to school through 6' snowdrifts and driving rainstorms. Now, our kids can brag to their grandkids how they had to ride 15 minutes to school in an unairconditioned school bus!
When I was a kid the schools had no air conditioning. Now if the AC goes down school is canceled till it can be repaired.

Old 06-14-10, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
And see how your education suffered Ray?

Old 06-14-10, 03:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hey, Beachboy, remember the story went "uphill both ways", in my day. You know, thinking back to my school days.....long time ago, we didn't have air conditioning either. How did we make it through all that? Our temps were a little cooler than Vic's.....sheesh 100 degrees!
Too protective, nowadays. I remember my son came home with a "save and hold harmless" letter for me to sign to allow him to go on a field trip. All the teachers and students went.....except my son. They had to bring in a sub teacher to teach him. I wasn't about to hold the school board harmless if the brakes on their bus failed and harmed or killed him. It was explained that it was a "normal" form that we had to fill out. They just had to kiss my grits.

Old 06-18-10, 04:56 AM
Admin Emeritus
Thumbs up Seat Belts

The more important question and issue (IMO) is why don't all school buses have "Seat Belts?"

A/C would be a comfort issue. For all the reasons already mentioned, not of primary importance.

Safety for children riding in all public and private school buses should be a #1 priority issue. Not a cost nor financial issue...

My Two Cents.....