NO Name--No Number Calls

Old 06-18-10, 07:52 PM
Angry NO Name--No Number Calls

I have caller ID---I am on the Do Not Call ---Lately I have been getting 4 or 5 calls a day where there is no identity and they do not leave a message.
What, if anything, can be done to stop this?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-10, 08:50 PM
My sister-in-law got so tired of calls with no ID that she put a block on. If incoming call has their ID blocked, they get a canned message or her message not sure. We had to remove our outgoing block so we could call her.

Bud

Old 06-19-10, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator
People here are having mixed results with the do not call registry.
Some folks say that their unwanted calls have reduced, yet an equal number say that they get the same or more nuisance calls, only from different numbers.

We get enough telemarketer and hang-up calls that we were considering changing our phone number that we have had for more than twenty five years.
We may have found a solution though with a particular model of Panasonic cordless phone that has a call block feature.

The calls we get regularly are from about twelve different numbers so this works well for us.
When a blocked call is received it will ring once or twice while the phone identifies the caller, it then switches to a busy signal then hangs up.
These phones also have a voice caller ID so we only have to wait a few seconds and we will hear who is calling if it is an allowed call.

The four phone set is kinda expensive but it is a small price to pay to reclaim our phone number, plus, they don't knock out our wireless network every time the phone rings!

Old 06-19-10, 04:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We are getting more calls lately, too. I went as far as filing repeated complaints with the FCC on their website. Technically, those callers are supposed to be fined or eliminated from the planet, but, as usual, you never get a response from the government, and any fine will go to them, anyway, rather than to the affected parties.

Old 06-19-10, 05:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Our phone number is also on the do not call list and while we do get a few telemarketers a week, it's a lot better than how it was before the do not call list.

I thought awhile back they made it illegal for a company to block or not supply it's number on the ID box but ever since they told that on the news [1-2 yrs ago??] we get 1-2 unidentified calls a month

Old 06-19-10, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
Greg, can you tell me the model you have?
I have a Panasonic cordless, but I keep getting knocked off when the phone rings and it doesn't have that call block feature. Sounds good.

As for the no name, no number thing, we still get solicitation calls even tho we're on the no call list. I just don't answer or I answer and ask them why they're calling when I'm on this list, and they get all discombobulated and apologize!

Old 06-19-10, 07:51 AM
There are probably more, but some of the loop holes with the "do not call list" are non-profits, politicians, and anyone you have done business with. If you have given your number to a store, CC company, bank or other, they or one of their marketing subsidiaries can call. They are supposed to remove you when told to, but who knows.

Greg, I would be interested in that model # that Shadeladie ask for, as well.

Thanks,
Bud

Old 06-19-10, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
I keep trying to remember to do this...

When they call and ask for me or my wife, I just want to say..."No..this is Detective Smith of the local PD. Who is this?". Once I know its not a legitimate call.... "How do you know these people?" "I need your name and address, we'll have a team come over to interview you" "They've been killed by an intruder"......or something similar.

Or keep my bosuns pipe right beside the phone in the garage and once they start talking about mortgage refi or credit protection or whatever....just give 'em a nice blast.

Unfortunately I'm normally doing something and don't remember in time...

Old 06-19-10, 08:22 AM
Group Moderator
The number is available for the so called blocked number. For an extra charge the phone company provides it to businesses they deem worthy of having it (or so I have read). For example businesses that take phone orders so they can verify the ordering customer is giving the correct info. Wonder if you could set up a shell company to get the info and how much it would cost.

Old 06-19-10, 08:51 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
There are probably more, but some of the loop holes with the "do not call list" are non-profits, politicians, and anyone you have done business with.
Also it only applies to residential phone numbers; the scumbags can call businesses all day long and although the automated ones sometimes give you an opt-out key to push, you can' stop them from calling your business in the first place. Since I have two business landlines that feed into my cell during the day I generally get several calls a day. I store the ones of known telemarketers in my cell contact list under "Solicitor" so I know not to answer that call in the future.

Nobody really thought politicians would actually write a do not call law and not excempt politicians, did they?

Old 06-19-10, 10:00 AM
I used to get 3 to 6 a day, until I started talking to them.
I would make up stuff that has nothing to do with why they called me. I would ask they how many kids they have or have they ever been to the moon, what color there car is, or even how fast they can go to restroom.

The more off the wall stuff I talked about, the funnier it was(to me).

Since I started doing this, my calls have dropped to maybe 1 a week, sometimes less.

Maybe they put me (the he's a nut list) I dont know but,they stopped calling..Beer 4U2

Travis

Old 06-19-10, 12:57 PM
I don't remember the last time I've ever had to talk to a telemarketer. Our phone number is unlisted so that might help some.

You guys should do what Mr. Mabe has done..

Tom Mabe – Telemarketer Crime Scene Prank - A funny video on DIGYOUROWNGRAVE

Old 06-19-10, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
THATS the one I heard...gave me the idea in the first place.....

Old 06-19-10, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
This is the particular model we have and bought it in a 4 phone bundle.

Click image:

Image courtesy of panasonic.com

You might check if other makers have phones with the same features.
The feature that makes the new phones compatible with wireless is the new frequency they label as DECT 6.0.
Most of the new phones have this now.

You have to watch the Panasonic phones as they have a dizzying array of different models with different features.
It took awhile for me to pick the features we wanted.

Not sure how legit this is, a media commentator speculated that there is a strong possibility that companies who honor the do not call list sell the do not call names to whoever will pay.

Old 06-19-10, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks Greg. I'm going to look into getting that. It'll be nice not to get knocked off anymore!

Mark, my number has always been unlisted, but that doesn't seem to stop them.

Old 06-20-10, 03:37 PM
There was a product ontv a few years ago called telezapper. Whatever happend to it. I cannot understand why the Red Cross does the unavailable on caller ID. Even more puzzled why they call me since I have repeatedly told them that I am walk in only due to the fact I never know what is going on ahead of time for work and do not wish to make an appointment I cannot keep.

Old 06-20-10, 05:18 PM
Also, I have Google Voice. I can pick a telephone # from my area code and I can choose what actual telephone # it dials.

Example:

I give my google voice phone # out on internet sign up forms, things of that nature, so these places don't actually have my real telephone #. If a unwanted # or unknown name comes in, I can automatically block the calls from coming in.

Check it out;
Google Voice

Took about a week to get "invited" to use the service.

Old 06-20-10, 06:37 PM
Doubt it does any good but I often do what a friend does. Ask them to just hang on a minute, then don't just hold the phone on you lap and watch TV. Eventually they hang up. Im sure they know the routine.
Or if they ask for someone by name, I just say that person doesn't live here anymore. Or I lie when they ask for my wife and tell them I'm Nancy. That really gets them.
After all this, my daughter works in a call center

Old 06-20-10, 06:52 PM
I would be very careful in even "thinking" of answering the phone, This is Dective Joe of the police dept. Could be imprisoned for impersonating a police offocer. If the number comes up unidentified or unkown at home, the call dosen't get answered. I let the answering machine get it. If on my cell I answer real quick like: (Company name)Hazardous material response team Alpha,where is the spill at,what spilled,what quanity ect.ect. The phone goes dead real quick!!

T.J.

Old 06-21-10, 07:45 AM
On a related note, I get very tired of phone calls from charities I support by mail. I deliberately do not provide my phone number or email to them when I mail back their response forms with my check. Obviously they use directory information to find my listed number, but why don't they understand that if I purposefully omit my phone number from the mail solicitation, that SHOULD mean I do not wish to be contacted by phone? Maybe I need to type in "NO PHONE SOLICITATION" on the line where they ask for your phone number?

Besides not wanting the irritation of phone solicitations when I'm busy, I understand that many telemarketing firms take a huge percentage of their phone contributions, and when I make a contribution to a charity, I want 100% of it to go to the charity, not an annoying telemarketer.

Old 06-21-10, 10:27 AM
I rarely pick up the phone for those calls, but sometimes when I do, I just say that the person they are asking for died last week. Amazing how nice and sypathetic they are after that.