Unhappy RIP Chat Forum

Six posts this month.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-10, 01:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
We was a just waitin' on you

Old 07-10-10, 01:39 PM
Group Moderator
If you look there are others even deader.

Old 07-10-10, 02:44 PM
Project bloopers is wide open. I better get crackin' on my to do list. I'm sure that alone will generate plenty contributions.

Old 07-10-10, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by mickblock View Post
Project bloopers is wide open. I better get crackin' on my to do list. I'm sure that alone will generate plenty contributions.
Mick - unfortunately it won't. The entire non-interactive forum doesn't allow responses. Any contribution you make will immediately be locked. I don't understand why.

Old 07-10-10, 07:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think everyone is busy with the holidays and summer in general, and are outside more than stuck at a computer looking for advice. I find myself doing a cursory run through rather than staying on longer. Winter will be another matter.

Old 07-10-10, 08:13 PM
I haven't been on this site nearly as long as some of yall, but I have been here long enough to see a few things.

Summer time is a very slow time of the year for most of the forums.
Beer 4U2

Winter is a whole different story.
Pipes burst, heaters stop, lines freeze, power lines fall, and people are generally inside most of the time.

Even if you never went outside, you could tell the time of year just by reading the forums.
The amount of people posting questions, and answerers, more than doubles in the winter.

Travis

Old 07-11-10, 04:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
For whatever reason the economy seems to also have played a part in the activity on the forums. When the economy was booming there were a lot more posts every day irrespective of the time of year. I'd have thought that with money tight more folks would DIY but maybe they can't afford the materials

Old 07-11-10, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by waterwelldude View Post
I haven't been on this site nearly as long as some of yall, but I have been here long enough to see a few things.

Even if you never went outside, you could tell the time of year just by reading the forums.

Travis
What waterwelldude said stands out the most to me too. When summer arrives, number of threads concerning problems w/ lawn equipment grow . . . A/C problems as outside temp increase . . . overloaded electrical circuits coinciding w/ summer peak electrical demands.

Many of the threads deal w/ repairing a problem but few focus on maintenance. Makes me wonder how many of these problems could be avoided if people performed maintenance in advance of when seasonal peak usage occurs . . . during spring, A/C tune-up and major maintenance of lawn equipment, etc. Itís common in industry to take plant and equipment off-line during seasonal periods of low utilization in order to perform maintenance and repair so that itís more reliable during seasonal periods of peak usage . . . I donít think many homeowners adopt this philosophy.

The stat showing most users online (8,144, 08-14-09) occurred during midst of Great Recession . . . with many property markets lagging as compared to those hit worst (CA, FL, NV) wonder if a shift was underway as home renovation began tapering off but more people resorting to DIY repairs in a poor economy. If there were numerous data points that smoothed out seasonal patterns, the usage number might serve as an indicator to health of U.S. economy. U.S. electrical demand signals inflection points as it turns up before many production numbers start to show an upturn of the economy . . . . factory capacity ramping up must first use energy before the goods are actually produced. Itís a less reliable indictor in gauging an economic downturn as factory managers may not quickly realize a fall off in industrial and consumer demand, and continue running their manufacturing facilities until there is a large backlog of inventory which has to be worked off in a normal business cycle correction . . . this is not a normal business cycle inventory correction, and it may be years before the peak DIY users online is surpassed. The number dealing with repairs is likely to increase as people hold on to aging equipment and donít have the money to replace . . . moderators, contractors, and others w/ skills at troubleshooting problems are likely to see a growing demand for their insights.

Old 07-12-10, 01:44 PM
Seems to me I saw a little piece on the news about an oil leak somewhere down south. Can't believe nobody is talking about that.

I've searched but can't find more than vague answers how an oil well works. For instance:

1) I sort of understand how a bit can change directions but how the heck does the pipe (casing) make a bend?

2) Pipe inside pipe. I've read where the mud goes down and then comes back up along with the drilled material. Something like that.

If anyone knows of a site that explains, in detail, the workings of a drill rig I'd sure appreciate it. Love reading about how stuff works.

Unfortunately, this mess will be with us for years and years, maybe decades.

Not good.

Baldwin

Old 07-12-10, 01:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Bought a tee shirt with the design of an oil soaked pelican not too long ago for $10 plus $5 for shipping with all the proceeds going to the Gulf Coast Relief Fund. If you want to know how to get it please pm me. It is a cool looking shirt and am not selling it, just will tell you where to find it of you are interested.

Old 07-12-10, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
If anyone knows of a site that explains, in detail, the workings of a drill rig I'd sure appreciate it. Love reading about how stuff works.
Bound to be sites that will detail the basics. Wikipedia is a good jumpoff point for most subjects if for no other reason than almost every statement has a hyperlinked citation.

Old 07-12-10, 05:23 PM
Need the wingnuts on here to get things stirred up but they keep getting banned. We've had some good ones but its a pretty tight ship here.

Old 07-12-10, 08:59 PM
Oil soaked pelican T-shirt? No thanks, I find that rather revolting.

I heard on the news tonight that they will install a pipe that is hurricane proof. That is, the pipe will end 300' below the surface so the ship can disconnect from it and go to shore. What? I'm sure it is a rather stout pipe but it can go almost a mile up, no support, and just stand there?

Then there is the platform itself. I would 'guess' that after two days of burning it's thrusters weren't working so the platform drifted with the current and the pipe below, a miles worth. Mind boggling!

Yes, I visit Wiki often. Great site.

Old 07-18-10, 01:34 PM
Lightbulb

I found a great forum for 'oil and gas professionals' that discuss this whole event. It's a bit technical at times but very interesting to read.

Today a guy named Tex (how appropriate ) explains the bursting strength of pipe at different depths. Page 53 I think.

I have spent hours and hours the last three days reading this stuff and I can't get enough.

Transocean Deepwater Horizon Explosion-A Discussion of What Actually Happened? - Drilling Ahead

Sure hope it's okay to post this here.

Baldwin