Deadly substances?

Old 07-12-10, 09:04 AM
Deadly substances?

While each of the items listed can be dangerous under certain conditions, in general do we worry too much about them or spend too much trying to mediate them.

Asbestos
Mercury
Lead
Radon

Any others?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-10, 11:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could be, fear is a great selling point.

Asbestos is bad for your health but it is a good fire retardant. I sprayed a good bit of it years ago with no health issues that I'm aware of but asbestos is the most hazardous in dry powder form [that you can inhale] and what I worked with was always wet.

Lead also had it's uses in paint and gasoline but like asbestos I'm sure we are better off without it.

The biggest thing is what these products do to kids. An adult might get by with no ill effects but a child that is still growing seems to be more affected by the different toxins in our world.

Old 07-12-10, 05:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Or what about the two chemicals, when combined you can't live without, but when separated will cause death???????

Sodium cloride. One an explosive, and one a deadly gas.

Old 07-12-10, 06:16 PM
I didn't know we needed sodium chloride. Yet another potentially volatile chemical re-appropriated in living things.

The oxygen we need is a corrosive. Our blood can carry it because it oxidizes the iron it contains. What really astounds me is that we can reverse that process when we use that oxygen. So an animals blood basically corrodes and then ... becomes uncorroded? Which seems an exception to the laws of chemistry for the most part. Or is that an oversimplification? Probably. All I'm saying is that to my meager understanding, usually when something in nature oxidizes, that's usually a one way road.

Anyhow to reply to the original post - I think that if someone were in a situation that called for them to deal with any of those things you had listed it would be lack of knowledge that could cause a reaction to either extreme, regardless of what could be deemed the consensus.

Old 07-14-10, 02:44 PM
Arsenic is another one. I knew a guy who burned pressure treated wood and he didn't see anything wrong with that.

Old 07-14-10, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Oh yeah, I always wondered if the arsenic I was adding to my dinner was poisoning us or not.
What the he** are you talking about? Another senseless reply.

Old 07-15-10, 04:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The chemicals in PT wood put out a toxic fume when burned.

Old 07-15-10, 07:15 AM
I'd add "mold" to the list of substances that have been over-hyped as deadly. It seems like the appearance of a bit of mold or mildew incites fear and terror in too many people.

I hear from numerous people who are scared to death to use CFL's because the minute mercury content in them "might" be harmful if the bulb is broken. Its common for schools to be shut down for a whole day if a kid drops a mercury thermometer in lab class.

I used to work in a powerplant environment, which was filled with asbestos, PCB's, mercury, and who knows what other contaminants, and there was no unusually high rate of illnesses or death. It seems like society feeds on the need for hysteria and the "toxin dejour" mentality.

Old 07-15-10, 11:28 AM
Group Moderator
Lipstick on your collar that's not your wife's shade......

Old 07-15-10, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
Oh yeah, I always wondered if the arsenic I was adding to my dinner was poisoning us or not.
I'm confused. I thought I understood NESFan's reply but now I have to rethink the matter. I'm trying to figure out what was senseless. I know that there were warnings that recommended not burning CCA PT wood because of the copper and arsenic content.

Old 07-15-10, 02:47 PM
I dropped a thermometer in 7th grade science class. Since that was 26 years ago,I imagine it wasw mercury. the classroom wasn't cleared out for the day back then.

Old 07-15-10, 04:14 PM
Arsenic is poisonous. Arsenic is present in pressure treated wood. Which is a common building material. It's often even burned in bonfires without regard to it's content. I believe that's what he's talking about.
I didn't even write the post and I'm offended by that response.

Last edited by mickblock; 07-15-10 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-16-10, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator
Well Wayne, I'm confused now. Either I'm not understanding your original question, or it's been changed somewhere along the way. What I read is, you're asking about substances that were once widely used, but now considered dangerous and if we're overreacting to the dangers. I was actually being sarcastic in my response because I'm not following how arsenic fits into the category you're asking about. In my mind, arsenic always was, is, and will always be dangerous. There's no overreacting to it.
I guess some men really are from Mars, cuz honestly, I don't know what you all are talking about.

Old 07-16-10, 06:48 AM
Well Wayne, I'm confused now. Either I'm not understanding your original question, or it's been changed somewhere along the way. What I read is, you're asking about substances that were once widely used, but now considered dangerous and if we're overreacting to the dangers. I was actually being sarcastic in my response because I'm not following how arsenic fits into the category you're asking about. In my mind, arsenic always was, is, and will always be dangerous. There's no overreacting to it.
I guess some men really are from Mars, cuz honestly, I don't know what you all are talking about.
I think the confusion stems from the difference between arsenic and CCA pressure treated wood. Everyone understands the toxicity of arsenic but many of us don't understand the hoopla over CCA treated wood that eventually led to it's removal from the marketplace.

Old 07-16-10, 08:08 AM
My biggest concern is ASBESTOS. We breathe it every day from clutches, brake pads and shoes from automobiles.
It has been redused but still present.
Do a search for asbestos brake components and you will see.

Old 07-16-10, 10:58 AM
Arsenic was once a common component of many pesticides, including those used on food crops.

Old 07-16-10, 12:33 PM
Arsenic, like so many other toxic compounds (cadmium, selenium, antimony, lead etc) occurs naturally and it is present in the food chain. We consume arsenic when we eat. It only becomes a problem when it is present in unsafe levels. I think that was the argument ablut CCA lumber.

Some environmental groups expressed concern about arsenic treatment of wood, especially that being used in playgrounds. IIRC the EPA never found any link found between CCA lumber and illness. However, they choose caution and recommended against using CCA in many applications.

I think the industry opted for a different treatment method just to get away from any potential litigation.

So add to the list of items where entire industries or products have developed at least in part by overhyping by the media and environmental activist groups.

mold
PT lumber
mercury

Any more?

Old 07-16-10, 07:17 PM
Mediation of lead in pre-1978 houses is now a national EPA law. Lead paint disturbance in remodeling is the largest cause of lead poisoning in kids under 6. No laughing matter when permanent brain, nervous system, learning disabilities, and other horrors result when toxic lead dust from scraping and sanding and toxic lead fumes from high heat guns are used without leadsafe work practices. $37,500 fines will hit contractors who ignore the seriousness of lead and don't get their EPA certificates.

Old 07-17-10, 02:06 PM
From Shadeladie: " I guess some men really are from Mars, cuz honestly, I don't know what you all are talking about."
I'm glad you admitted it, as I was really concerned with the original response you gave.
WE guys knew what we were talking about, so maybe we should have filled you in a little better.

Old 07-17-10, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Well..there's a big uproar out here in the hinterlands about something called Jimsom weed or datura..depending on who you read. "OMG..our kids might eat a naturally occuring weed...why hasn't the government done something!"

Puuuulllllleeezze!

Old 07-17-10, 05:39 PM
Time to get Agent Orange out of mothballs to get rid of the nasty weeds, huh? Aha, that's another one.

Old 07-17-10, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Well..there's a big uproar out here in the hinterlands about something called Jimsom weed or datura..depending on who you read. "OMG..our kids might eat a naturally occuring weed...why hasn't the government done something!"

Puuuulllllleeezze!
That stuffs been around forever. More commonly called locoweed when I was a kid. Bad sh#t for cows although it was funnier than chickens drunk from pecking at the bottom of a corn silo. Anyone dumb enough to get high from it deserves it. Think Darwin.

Old 07-18-10, 07:24 AM
You should see the bear a day after he raids my corn field Serves him right. Drunk bears aren't funny, though. When they fall down, the earth shakes.

Old 07-18-10, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
You should see the bear a day after he raids my corn field Serves him right. Drunk bears aren't funny, though. When they fall down, the earth shakes.
If you're a Jimmy Buffett fan you'll recognize his song "God's Own Drunk" If you aren't familiar with it you can find the lyrics here and a YouTube performance by Buffett here.

Bears do love corn. in one form or another.

Old 07-21-10, 10:43 AM
It is strange when you don 't realize the birdseed got fermented from getting wet in a container and seeing birds have trouble flying after eating it

Search this Thread