Price Pfister

Old 07-23-10, 02:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Price Pfister

I started to put this in plumbing, but it really isn't plumbing more than it is a gripe.
I may still be in the last century, so bear with me. I have touted the qualities of Price Pfister faucets for a long time. Solid brass waterways, handful of weight. Flawless operation.
I needed to replace one at a cabin for a client who didn't want to spend $200 on one. So I found one with a pull out spout, looked great, and above all it was a Price Pfister for $93!!! What a deal. The customer really didn't care, but I did.
Picked it up out of the box and discovered plastic everywhere! Not the stalwart PP has always been.
Looked on the side of the box and it said Price Pfister....a Black and Decker Company. Where are we headed?
What a let down. How long has this been happening to our better stuff?

Larry

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-10, 02:44 PM
Longer than we want to know. How they are made, where they are made, and who made them are all part of the economy no one wants to look at.

Sad
Bud

Old 07-23-10, 07:40 PM
I almost always look for the "tag". I only buy American made work boots, so no Wally World stuff for me. I never even thought of opening the box in the store. Had no reason to. I would have never bought it had I done that. Yep, sad that PP has lost another customer due to cheapness.

Old 07-24-10, 06:24 AM
Chandler - I was planning to buy PPF fixtures for the bath I'm redoing. That's all I've ever used in my DIY renos.I was disappointed when I read your post.

I surfed around looking for PPF products on the web. It appears that they do have a couple of lines that are really cheap. For instance, at Faucets.com all of the PPF kitchen faucets they sell are $200 and up (mostly up - to $400), but one line, "Parisa", is only $80 and another "Marielle" is $160.

So it looks like PPF is marketing a couple of really cheap lines but the majority of their products are still mid range pricewise so I expect they are higher quality.

Old 07-24-10, 02:40 PM
Wayne, thanks for the heads up on the two lines of PP. I still like the old design, and if they still make them, will still use them, but the two you mention may be outta here!
I've installed Hans Grohe in some upper end renovations. Heck the knob for the tub weighs in at 1/2 lb!! Solid 440 stainless billet milled to shape. I couldn't afford it, but those customers requested it.

Old 07-24-10, 05:11 PM
I never thought of Price Pfister as a quality product but then I haven't even looked at a PP for more than twenty years so what do I know.

I do know about various lines of quality within the same manufacturer, though. Many years ago I bought a Moen kitchen faucet for my mother. I bought it from a plumbing shop and paid about $80 to $100 dollars for it. It was all solid brass with all the visible parts chrome plated. (I bought it to replace a Delta that my daddy got tired of rebuilding every six months.) A few months later I bought a similar-looking Moen without the sprayer attachment at a local ACE hardware for a bit more than $20. The latter faucet was all plastic except for the brass plunger in the cartridge and the screw that held the handle. Both genuine Moen.

A few months ago I stopped in at the same plumbing shop to ask about hand-held showers that had an adjustable rod. I was shown a few and I don't think any of them was less than $250 with the highest being about $450. I ended up getting a couple of very nice Moen models for a little more than $100 each via the Internet.

Old 07-27-10, 06:17 AM
I ran across the installation instruction for a PPF pressure balancer that I installed 15 years ago. The sheet is dated 1994and they were a B&D company back then.

Old 07-27-10, 02:52 PM
Black and Decker was a different company back then, too. Didn't know that, however. Thanks.

Old 07-31-10, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
Chandler - I was planning to buy PPF fixtures for the bath I'm redoing. That's all I've ever used in my DIY renos.I was disappointed when I read your post.
PFF is not a bad company for the price you are paying. They have some good designs and their quality is ok.

Old 08-02-10, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Black and Decker was a different company back then, too. Didn't know that, however. Thanks.
Has Black & Decker taken a big dive in quality over the years? I've purchased B&D power tools 20-30 years ago, and I was always under the impression they were the standard of quality for homeowner-grade tools (in addition to Craftsman). I know several years ago, they bought out General Electric's line of small kitchen appliances, but I presumed even these were a notch better than the other small electrics you see at Wal-Mart. So is B&D just another purveyor of Asian products with no parts or service support anymore?

My first power tool was a B&D 3/8" electric drill I bought in 1968 for the princely sum of $12. It still runs, but so does my dad's 1951 Craftsman 1/4" electric drill. I haven't purchased a new corded drill in decades.

Old 08-02-10, 03:16 PM
Just my opinion, but current Black and Decker tools are junk and they have been for some years.

A personal question - how can you be a beachboy in Kansas? That's gotta' be tough.

Old 08-04-10, 08:33 PM
A personal question - how can you be a beachboy in Kansas? That's gotta' be tough.
Since I have zero imagination when it comes to catchy screennames, I used an old CB handle I had from the 70's. At the time, I worked at Beech Aircraft Corp, and I was young enough to wear the "boy" label.

Beer 4U2

Old 08-10-10, 06:21 PM
Just my opinion, but current Black and Decker tools are junk and they have been for some years.
One person's junk may be another person's um - well, not so much like junk.

I always bought Black and Decker because the price was really affordable, and figured that if the sleeve bearings wore out in a while, that be okay, because the tool was so relatively inexpensive. And if I lent a person my power tool and they dropped it(or even if I dropped it) on the concrete and broke it, I'd be glad it wasn't the guaranteed for life tool that cost 3 or 4 times more or something.

I also have very much enjoyed my (junk) extremely accurate $3 levels also. I take great pride in owning really cheap tools that work as good as the expensive stuff. It is good for conversation as much as anything. You get responses like - "No kidding!"

Old 08-11-10, 03:29 AM
Just don't let your helper measure and cut expensive trim with a tape he dropped on the concrete and bent the pull out tab? 1/4" short on EVERY cut. Stopped him at cut #3, looked at his tape and threw it in the lake......I mean way out in the lake. Quality tool.....poor maintenance.

Search this Thread