Habitat store

Old 07-24-10, 05:18 PM
Habitat store

I try to be a good citizen and help others so I periodically check out my local Habitat for Humanity store. I have never actually bought anything though because the prices seem outrageous to me. For the items that I have a tendency to look at it seems the new items are selling (or at least priced) at about 80 to 90 percent of list price or just slightly less than what they sell for at the big box stores. The used items are even worse, I think. My personal feeling is that a used tool has probably been through the wringer and should be priced at less than 50% of the new value but not so at the HfH store. Maybe it is just what I look at and other things are more reasonably priced.

It has been many years since I have checked Salvation Army, St. Vinnie's or Goodwill stores but I don't remember their prices being just a shade less than retail. Is this the way of the world now? Not much of an incentive to buy anything but new in my eyes?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-10, 06:07 PM
The things that you'll see marked way down at many of those places are clothes, books and items that are considered to be a bit outdated.
furniture ,tools, exercise equipment, certain electronics etc. never seem to get viewed by the volunteer workers who do the pricing as being outdated unless it was very obvious, like a VCR had to have simulated woodgrain and mechanical dials to be recognized as "past it's prime."
Other than that, if you plug it in and it works, it must be state of the art.

With habitat for humanity, perhaps it's the same way. Only with that market older can even be considered better?

Old 07-24-10, 09:36 PM
you have to understand the purpose of these places is not to give us a "deal "

they are charged with taking donated goods and turning them into as much cash as possible to fund their programs

if they price it to high it wont sell and they can reduce the price , if they price it to low they cant follow you out to the parking lot and say " we need another 10 for that item "

I shop every habitat outlet in the area (we have 4 in the area I usually travel ) as often as possible and find some good things .

another thing to consider is the best stuff goes quickly so if you just stop by now and then what you see is the overpriced leftovers

(typing this from my spiffy new computer desk I picked up at habitat today for 20 )

Old 07-25-10, 12:19 AM
Group Moderator
Well here you want the cheap buys and help support the almost honest working man you go to what they call the Little Mexico Home Depots. They are usually located just off the alley of that dirt two lane dead end street and specialize in merchandise that some worker thought was surplus or fell off the back of a truck.

Old 07-25-10, 03:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Furd, One of our local rental stores went out of business a year ago or so, and had an auction of tools, etc. Aha! Here's my chance to get some things I need at a markdown. WRONG! The dipsticks bidding were bidding up to retail for "rode hard and put up wet" tools. Face it, if it has been rented, it hasn't been taken care of with TLC. The owner still has some of the scaffolding he is trying to sell. I called him, and he wants $90 per section (2 sides, 2 cross pieces). I can get them retail without all the concrete and paint residue on them for $95.
Pawn shops aren't much better. Everyone is trying to squeeze all they can out of a failing market.

Old 07-25-10, 05:57 PM
Did see a claw foot tub advertised on c...list for $150 at a Habitat store. That sounded very reasonable to me since you cannot find the easily anymore. Unfortunately, if I had bought it, I would have had to redo the while bathroom, so I didn;t buy it.

Old 07-25-10, 06:30 PM
Probably not a bad price for the tub. Heck, I sold 4 rusted claw foot tub feet for $75 plus shipping. Had them things in the barn for years. Don't know where they came from.

Old 07-25-10, 09:36 PM
Thanks, everyone for your comments. I know that to get the "bargains" it is usually necessary to check these thrift stores on a regular basis. In my case there really isn't much that I even want at these stores regardless of price. I have seen some real bargains in the used furniture but not having a truck, and more importantly, not having any need or desire for more furniture, it wasn't a bargain for me.

I just remember back when I was a kid and went to these places with my daddy and even when I was in my twenties and the spread in prices from retail to thrift store was far greater than what I see today.