possible illegal demolition?

Old 07-31-10, 07:12 PM
possible illegal demolition?

Hello,

There doesn't seem to be an "introduce yourself" thread, so I'll take this opportunity to say hi, my name is Jerry, and I have an issue that I'd like to broach on here with regard to my personal property and safety.

Due to an unfortunate series of events stemming from some recent flooding in Chicago, I came to loggerheads with a powerful man in our neighborhood. To make a long story short, he disapproved of the way I had arranged some water-damaged goods at the curb where I had placed them so they could be picked up and disposed of by the refuse collector. This man, who shall remain nameless, owns a large construction and demolition company.

Anyway, after a long and very VERY heated exchange of words, he threatened to pass a wrecking ball through my house sometime while I am at work.

Now, at first I didn't take him seriously. Surely, even a person with such demolition equipment at his disposal wouldn't engage in such dangerous and extremely illegal behavior. Right?

That's what I thought until a few days later when I found a Matchbox-type toy representation of a crawler crane, which was ominously adorned with a wrecking ball, in my mailbox. The next day, a real truck-mounted mobile construction crane passed by my house a couple of times; interestingly, however, there was no “work” being done on my end of town that day. I’ve also been receving the odd prank-phonecall and periodic unordered pizza delivered to my house.

I’m scared to go to work on Monday. I fear that I’m going to come home, and there’s going to be a mountain of rubble and debris where my home used to be.

I’ve thought about contacting the police or an attorney, but this man is widely believed to have connections to local officials, law enforcement, various code-enforcement officers and other bureaucrats.

How should I handle this, and what should I do in the event that this man destroys my house? Also, is there any way he could possibly attain some type of permit to destroy my house against my wishes?

Last edited by Jerry Horsey; 07-31-10 at 10:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-10, 07:27 PM
:d ................................:d........................:d

Old 07-31-10, 07:59 PM
If he's already resorting to prank pizza deliveries I don't know that he actually believes he can get away with something so out in the open.
Unless he also wants to contend with the bank who owns your mortgage and your insurance company.
I bet he's not connected enough to have their "support."
Is this the first time you've been in a situation with this much hot air blowing around?

Originally Posted by Jerry Horsey View Post

I’ve thought about contacting the police or an attorney, but this man is widely believed to have connections to local officials, law enforcement, various code-enforcement officers and other bureaucrats.

How should I handle this?
I'd suggest talking with your insurance agent if you know you'll worry about it anyway. But chin up. No one has enough pull to pull this off. Over a garbage dispute?

P.S. If you've got a parakeet or something you might wanna leave it with the neighbors. Welcome to the forums.

Old 07-31-10, 08:09 PM
Thank you for your response.

I see your point about how unlikely it probably is that he would actually attempt to demolish my property. I guess it was the manner in which he made the threat (the language he used and the tone he took, etc.) that is causing the fear and uncertainty.

I'm not sure I understand the response by "mango man."

Old 07-31-10, 08:25 PM
Anyway I was kidding about the parakeet thing.
It would be wise to report the incident to the police. You don't have to name names, make accusations, or expect that they don't want to hear it. It's just a report in order to document the situation, so you don't have to feel on edge and that's it. Don't let it get anymore personal than that.

Old 08-01-10, 06:42 AM

there I fixed ny earlier response

Old 08-01-10, 07:37 AM
Hi Jerry,
Now you may not like my answer, but disputes between neighbors can become much more than a heated debate, although I doubt he would level your house with a wrecking ball. I have lived around and even worked for bullies, the connected type that they make movies about (ya know what I mean!), and you don't want them mad at you, despite your legal position.

Remove whatever items upset him. Send a letter to him or even stop by and apologize. Defuse the situation before it can grow. Bullies tell people what they are doing and those people expect results. He may not stop until he can hold his head high around his following and that may mean you going through he!!.

It takes a really big (smart) person to eat crow in front of a jerk like I'm assuming him to be, but in all honesty, you don't want to go the other route, he may very well win.

I'm big and I have never had to put up with a lot of bs, but I have backed down and apologized just as I'm suggesting, to allow life to go on happily.

It's your call, but you better hope he's not from my old neighborhood, they never forget.

PS, I'm on your side.

Bud

Old 08-01-10, 07:50 AM
Bud, you're right. And if you're familiar with my county of residency, you'll understand that I know exactly what you mean about the "connected" type.

It's hard to get in to detail because about 99.9% of what he said was profane and abusive and inappropriate for the threads. His basic complaint was that the garbage was in view of his mother's house, which is across the street. (He lives on the next block.)

He told me, "the f'n parkway looks like f'n Sanford and Son. I don't want my f'n mother to lay eyes on that f'n s--- every time she wants to f'n look out of her f'n window."

I may walk down to his house with my attorney and issue a formal apology. Nothing more.

Thank you.

Old 08-01-10, 08:08 AM
Please be advised that I have made no statement of certainty and am in no way implying that Mr. X is affiliated with organized crime.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 08-01-10 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Name removed. Don't do it again.
Old 08-01-10, 11:52 AM
Exclamation

Hey Jerry,

You say you're from Chicago. Let me ask you this - Are you from the side of town where they say, "How you doin?"

You should take Bud9051's advice and don't mess with guys in the construction industry -- especially in your neck of the woods. If you push the wrong button, a wrecking ball through your home is going to be the least of your worries.

Capice?

Old 08-01-10, 05:37 PM
I can't be the only one that thinks this guy is a troll. A newbie stops by a DIY site looking for advice. He is fearing for his home and his life because some connected guy has it in for him? C'mon guys. The post where he identified the guy by name indicates he's got an agenda.

The correct answer for Mr Horsey should be "sorry we don't deal with that stuff here but if your bad guy does demo your house c'mon back and we can offer help on how to rebuild"

It's one thing to offer advice of that nature to a poster that has some history on the board, but this guy is simply a drive by.

Old 08-01-10, 08:40 PM
off course its a troll thread (and not a particularly good one at that )

Search this Thread