Is it really the noise that is irritating or is it something deeper?

Old 08-01-10, 10:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it really the noise that is irritating or is it something deeper?

Consider how people can get annoyed at their neighbor if they hear their music playing.

Now consider that you can often hear their air conditioner running, non-stop, even late at night.

I don't know about you, but it just dawned on me that the air conditioner noise is somethng I will tolerate. Yet, when I hear their music playing - THEIR music, not MY music - I get annoyed, even if it is not all THAT loud - and have actually told them so, if I can hear it after reasonable late- at- night hours.

What do you think about this - and why that is?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-10, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Guess it depends what one's used to. Where I live, there's lots of noise, so I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me unless it's after 10pm. But we have a noise law between 10 and 7, and most people seem to follow it.
If it bothered me I would turn on (and up) my own music or tv or I'd close the door and turn on my air.

Old 08-01-10, 10:49 AM
The noise of an air conditioner is fairly constant and it's probably easier to get accustomed to it. Music on the other hand by it's very nature will demand your attention.

Old 08-01-10, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
Guess it depends what one's used to. Where I live, there's lots of noise, so I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me unless it's after 10pm. But we have a noise law between 10 and 7, and most people seem to follow it.
If it bothered me I would turn on (and up) my own music or tv or I'd close the door and turn on my air.
This is in a rental community where say after about 10 pm, it is expected that noise be kept down. Yet the a/c keeps making that steady grrrrr sound, but someone's music I hear going, can drive me nuts - especially that indiscernable bass sound, even if on a decible scale, it is soft. I find it annoying, even if I can barely hear it.

Old 08-01-10, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
The noise of an air conditioner is fairly constant and it's probably easier to get accustomed to it. Music on the other hand by it's very nature will demand your attention.
THAT'S probably what it is - the fact the ac is steady. Althoughhhhhh - if I heard the end of a song and heard then a steady note at the end, like the record got stuck, and it kept playing, I think that may annoy me.

I'm trying to figure out if it is the fact PEOPLE annoy me. The fact they know they are not supposed to be doing this past 10 pm, and do it anyway. Had a confrontation with a newer tenant, and they said they were not playing it loud, even though you could hear it outside and in the entire neighborhood!. I said, "But I can HEAR it!" I was quite mean when I went over there, to tell them after they were already politely asked once before, on another date.

Old 08-01-10, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
I don't think there's much you can do about the a/c, but if they're playing music loud and it's after 10, I'd just call the cops.
Do they do this every night?

Old 08-01-10, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=Shadeladie;1753235]I don't think there's much you can do about the a/c, but if they're playing music loud and it's after 10, I'd just call the cops.
Do they do this every night?[/QUOTE]

In my mind that is the decider on nuisance or not. Once in a blue moon is fine. Every night is not.

I am lucky to have only one neighbor within earshot and they are great neighbors. This weekend was their oldest daughter's 16th birthday and they had a big bash. Pool party, a bunch of kids and a backyard slumber party with a herd of teenage girls yakking and giggling until all hours.

The day before the party my neighbor came over and forewarned me. In the 16 years we have been neighbors this was the only time I can remember late night noise. Yeah, it messed with my sleep, but a kid is only 16 once and I used it as a nap excuse.

Old 08-01-10, 07:11 PM
I hear the neighbors mowing the lawn, cutting tree limbs with chainsaws, working on wood projects with power tools, or even a crew doing a re-roof while playing a radio and it's almost relaxing.
But when I hear the neighborhood kids riding their dirt bikes through their yards, or hanging out playing their music in their vehicles it stresses me.

So even without to trying to explain it I'll just have to say I see your point.

Old 08-02-10, 05:17 PM
I don't think there's much you can do about the a/c, but if they're playing music loud and it's after 10, I'd just call the cops.
Do they do this every night?
I did not need to call the cops. I bolted right over there, I think at 3:05 am, and expressed very vividly, my displeasure. They had been told once before. Once is a warning. Twice? - hey, they are testing you when they were warned. 3:05 am? No regard for their fellow renters? That shows me their character, and that is what got my goat. An anarchistic attitude that they can do what they want, when they want - and heck with what the neighbors think. I did not believe them when they said they thought they were not playing it very loud.

Oh - and the way I look at it, I was doing them a favor by not calling the cops. If I hear it again, though, at hours like that, I probably will.

Old 08-02-10, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by mickblock View Post
I hear the neighbors mowing the lawn, cutting tree limbs with chainsaws, working on wood projects with power tools, or even a crew doing a re-roof while playing a radio and it's almost relaxing.
But when I hear the neighborhood kids riding their dirt bikes through their yards, or hanging out playing their music in their vehicles it stresses me.

So even without to trying to explain it I'll just have to say I see your point.
I think it is bcause you know that those other noises are work related. But when you hear someone tearing around in the toys or playing music loud, I think a person like you and I might think they have the attitude they can make all the racket they want - and if you do not like it, tough.

Old 08-02-10, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=Wayne Mitchell;1753359]
Do they do this every night?[/QUOTE]

In my mind that is the decider on nuisance or not. Once in a blue moon is fine. Every night is not.
I lettem have their fun on 4th of July weekend. I just bury my head in a pillow.

Search this Thread