8-track tape album help

Old 08-06-10, 01:49 AM
8-track tape album help

Hopefully this is the right forum.

Im trying to find a 8-track that is maybe on CD. it contained songs from the 60's and maybe the 70's

some of the songs I remember off of it were

''In the year 2525''(used to have the 45 of this),"everyday people", "hair","leaving on a jet plane","Boy named sue"(live),Aquarius/let the sunshine in, that's all I remember. Don't remember what happened to the tape I was young then. Looked online a little didn't find anything.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-10, 02:42 AM
Group Moderator
Sounds like some sort of Time-Life compilation sold in TV ads.

Old 08-07-10, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by flirty1 View Post
Hopefully this is the right forum.

Im trying to find a 8-track that is maybe on CD. it contained songs from the 60's and maybe the 70's

some of the songs I remember off of it were

''In the year 2525''(used to have the 45 of this),"everyday people", "hair","leaving on a jet plane","Boy named sue"(live),Aquarius/let the sunshine in, that's all I remember. Don't remember what happened to the tape I was young then. Looked online a little didn't find anything.
Wow, you must be close to my age to like those songs. Ahhh the memories.

Old 08-07-10, 07:15 PM
Doing a quick search revealed that all those songs are in the top 100 for 1969.
Didn't narrow it down beyond that.

Top 100 Songs of 1969

Perhaps you could pick through as best you can and form a list of most of the songs you can remember, enter all the song titles into google and see if it leads you to the exact compilation album your looking for.

Might have only been an 8-track release. So you can always grab single tracks of whatever you remember for a buck each through amazon or whatever.

Old 08-08-10, 03:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Possibly a homemade mix tape?

Old 08-09-10, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by NEsportsfan View Post
Possibly a homemade mix tape?
No it was factory recorded as the label had those songs on it. I think it also had American woman by the guess who. who knows it might have only been a 8-track release and not re-released on CD or vinyl. Believe it or not 8-tracks are still made every now and then. cheap trick released there 2009 album "The Latest" on limited edition 8-track.

Old 08-19-10, 05:29 AM
Ok a revised setlet

''In the year 2525''
"everyday people"
"hair"
"leaving on a jet plane"
"Boy named sue"(live)
"Aquarius/let the sunshine in"
"Suger Suger"
"Honky tonk woman"
"Crimson and clover"
"Green river"

searched those songs together but the albums that came up had more songs then what the 8-track had.

Old 08-19-10, 07:21 AM
Admin Emeritus
Lightbulb

Back in the era of those years of 8 track tapes, some radio stations also sold tapes with selected songs. DJ's favorites or like. Possible the label indicates such.

I have or did have..... such tapes. Player long gone and likely the tapes too.... Worth a try to maybe search not for songs by tapes made and sold by your areas local radio stations....????

Side Note:

I'm thinking about adding 8 track tapes to the existing "Entertainment Center" forum topic. That topic already has almost everything but 8 track tapes.

Once done, then I can move this topic post into that forum and just maybe you'll get some additional ideas and/or suggestions on how to find what you're looking for.

If you or anyone else thinks the above would be a good idea........send me a PM in favor of it and I'll get it done asap....

Thanks. Tom

BTW:
I remember all the songs of that era and those listed, except the very last one. Green River? You mean "Moody River???
OOPS! Just gave away my approx age....

Old 08-19-10, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Green River is Credence Clearwater Revival (remember it now?) but I don't remember Moody River, either. You sure you don't mean MOON River? Now I'm showing my age, LOL!
Altho, some of those songs I don't want to remember (like Sugar, Sugar).

Old 08-19-10, 09:43 AM
Admin Emeritus
Don't want to get off topic here......nor did I intend to do that... But I think I did.

I remember Moon River. Forgot the artist... That song goes way back in it's original artist recording. Since then several singers sang their versions of that same song or in it's original version.

I do mean Moody River...lyrics I know most of them but seem to forgot the artist... Think it was Pat Boone.... Lyric: Moody River you took my babies life. Now I must set you free.

Oh Yeah! I remember now. Credence Clearwater Revival...

Thanks for the Green River artist info.....

My age reflecting here too....

:HF2:

Old 08-19-10, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
Moon River? Andy Williams?

Old 08-19-10, 02:00 PM
sugar sugar is better than half the stuff on top 40 radio these days and I am under the age of 40. Most of the music I listen to never made it on the radio.

Old 08-19-10, 02:26 PM
Flirty, there were several small recording companies that made those compilation tapes/records. I have two box sets of vinyl records (2 records each) of the "best of the 60's/Best of the 70's" type of tunes you're talking about. They were usually hawked on late night TV (I think K-Tel was one such vendor).

I'm sure in the 8 track or cassette versions of these compilations, several tapes would be included in the set. Perhaps you came across one such tape out of a set of perhaps three or four 8 tracks, so that's why you're having trouble finding the exact same mix. Good luck with your search. I'd guess flea markets and garage sales would be your best bet for finding original copies of these sorts of compilation albums. Otherwise, you might be faced with building your own "best of" album from internet downloads.

Old 08-20-10, 06:41 PM
Flirty1, is there a particular reason you are stuck on this particular group of songs? As already suggested, there are oodles of such compilations - you may like some(hits) more than others. Make sure they are sung by the original artists - and also make sure they are the original track as heard on the radio! (Not all are. Many are remakes, maybe years later.) Either that, shoot the works and get one of those like 10- cd sets that has 'em all!

Old 08-21-10, 11:19 PM
off topic a bit but adding a 8-track tape forum would be a good idea sense they were not known for there reliability. Techs used to say it was the only audio format that knocked itself out of alignment 4 times during a album. Also some tricks on dealing with tension problems like opening the tape case and cutting the tape at the splice and unwinding a turn or 2 then re-splicing with new foil and rewinding. Also the problem of the rubber roller melting was caused by the rubber not being fully cured.

Old 08-22-10, 04:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
But what kind of traffic would an 8 track forum get? I'm sure I have some 8 track tapes squirreled away somewhere...... but who still has and uses 8 tracks.

While I might miss the health and agility of my younger years, I've never missed stringing out my favorite 8 track tape to splice and rewind it

Old 08-22-10, 06:13 AM
Admin Emeritus
:PF:

8 track tapes has now been added to the "Entertainment Center" categories list of topics....

Not as a forum. An additional topic in the category of "Entertainment Center.".....

Old 08-22-10, 07:29 AM
I seem to remember a friend having 2 album sets called Superstars or the 60's, and Superstars of the 70'.

I searched, but finding the exact replacement looks like a chore, if you can't remember the title. (It WAS the 70's !)

Old 08-26-10, 06:04 AM
You can get those CD's at Best Buy.

Maybe not the exact mix but Best Buy definatley has those top 40 tune compilations from the 50's through the 80's from the original artists....be careful not to get the phony ones by Sessions recordings ......they suck.

I just got one from 1972 and it's great!

Search this Thread