A foxy Friday

Old 08-06-10, 09:27 PM
A foxy Friday

This afternoon I was working in the yard and a fox crawled out of the bushes. It was dragging it's hind quarters and it's tongue was hanging out. I thought it may have a broken back.

I watched it for 15 minutes or so. It would stand up, crawl (a couple of times it actually got it's hind legs going) a few feet and then fall over panting. Every now and then it would snap at nothing.

I called animal control, no answer. I called the police and was referred to the DEP. The DEP told me that unless someone was in danger they would do nothing.

Another 20 minutes and it's still in my yard so I decided to shoot it. Sick or injured that's about all that could be done.
I went in to get a gun and my wife told me it crawled under a
shed. Now what? I have dealt with rabid foxes before and I'm not gonna' go peering under that shed.

What really surprised me was that neither the police or the DEP seemed to be overly concerned about an animal acting so strangely. Typical Friday afternoon I guess.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-10, 04:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You may have to lure it out with raw meat or something. Be ready, though, now that he has found seclusion he will grab the meat and run back under. I think proper dispatching of the animal is definitely in order. It is humane and protects your family.
Governmental agencies are too PC to do anything right. As for the police, they would probably have to go to a desk job while their firearm discharge case is investigated by their internal affairs department.

Old 08-10-10, 07:33 PM
Tonight we were sitting on the deck enjoying a chilled glass of grape juice and when the wind shifted a bit we got a whiff of what I believe to be Eau de dead fox. Not good. We had to go inside.

Now I have to go find the damn thing and bury it. Unfortunately, I think it's in the middle of a really thick briar patch behind my yard.

Old 08-11-10, 03:26 AM
At least it isn't under the shed. Count your blessings. Was it really grape juice? How old was it?

Old 08-11-10, 07:37 AM
It really was grape juice. I neglected to say that it had gone through a fermentation process prior to bottling.

I found the fox under my shed and had to drag it out with a rake. He was one of two pairs that we often see in the yard late in the evening. A beautiful animal, I really wish I had been able to shoot him. What a shame.

Old 08-31-10, 11:17 AM
Just an FYI

Wayne,
Several years ago I had to take a raccoon up to a PA Dept. of Agriculture test center for suspected rabies.
Anyway the official there said never shoot the animal in the head or the spine as apparently that's where the rabies virus is and you wind up spreading it all over depending on the caliber of the gun, etc.
Fortunately the raccoon tested negative.
Since you have to deal with that possibility occasionally as I do and we're in that time of year when those situations arise, I thought you might want to know.
Greynold99

Old 08-31-10, 11:33 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, determination of rabies is made through inspection of the brain

Old 08-31-10, 03:47 PM
Well, one of my helpers will never get rabies detected, I guess

Last edited by chandler; 08-31-10 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-31-10, 05:27 PM
You don't have to be bit to get rabies.

Old 09-01-10, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Well, one of my helpers will never get rabies detected, I guess
Same guy with the tape measure?