craftsman tape measures

Old 08-18-10, 02:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
craftsman tape measures

Stopped at sears over the weekend to swap out my old craftsman tape measure and found out they don't sell them anymore They did have a few in a box behind the counter for warranty swaps. I guess when the last one of those are gone, they won't honor the warranty anymore

Can't complain too much though, I had a broken craftsman yellow tape measure given to me and I swapped it for a new one, replaced it, argued with them when they discontinued the yellow and got it replaced it with a red one. I think this is my 3rd red case tape measure. Nice ride while it lasted

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-10, 02:48 PM
Group Moderator
Hmm... the labels have long since worn off but I think most of mine are Craftsman

Bummer

Old 08-18-10, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Same thing happened with me. Had my Dads old Craftsman tape..finally had to go in cause the tip broke off after 30 yrs or so. Didn't have that width/length anymore so they gave me a brand new wider longer one with adjustable tension and 2 types of locks. I really liked it! That lasted about 15 yrs, then when the spring broke I went to our local Sears mini-store but they had nothing close cause of the limited selection. They were very helpful and called the 1-800 right there. Got a new one in the mail bout 7 days later...but it was a Snap-On! Less than 2 weeks later the spring let go, called the 1-800 myself and they replaced it again....

This one has been pretty good and I like the size of it vs the length.

I've got a 10 y/o Stanley MaxSteel that has been pretty good...but I'm no contractor kinda guy. Both of them get used maybe once a week unless I have Honey-Do project.

What's with the plastic cases for gawds sake!? At least use reinforced nylon like some power tools have...jeeez.

Old 08-18-10, 05:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Life expectancy of good Stanley or other tape measure is about 6 months for me. Lotta use and abuse, I guess. Haven't found one I really....I mean REALLY.....like yet. Maybe in another 20 years.
1) Inspect it before every day's use
2) Write your name on the case.
3) Don't let the hook slam back into the case. Slow it down before it gets there
4) Don't drop it off 40' scaffolding
5) Don't try to catch it if you drop it off 40' scaffolding

Old 08-19-10, 03:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
#4 and #5 - yikes

Last week I was hanging some 9' banners on 9' walls at church. I dropped my craftsman cordless drill about 6'-7' and my heart sunk, climbed off the ladder to retrieve the drill which seems to be no worse for wear. Concrete floor with commercial carpet.

Old 08-19-10, 04:20 AM
Oooh, lucky!!! I use one of those belt hooks. Worth 10 times the $4.95 I pay for them. My guys still perch my power tools on saw horses, ladders...anything they can find high to where when it falls it will break. I think there will be a special place in heaven where they will be in "timeout" for such stuff ""

Old 08-23-10, 06:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
5) Don't try to catch it if you drop it off 40' scaffolding
How do you get to the bottom so fast to even try and catch it?

Old 08-23-10, 09:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I guess you fall with it

As if the sudden stop isn't bad enough, to then get beaned on the head by the falling tape measure

Old 08-23-10, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
I think Chandler meant if you're up on the scaffolding and you drop the tape, don't try to catch it, let it fall - trying to stop it might make you fall along with it

I have pretty quick hands (side effect of my profession) and I can usually catch silverware before it hits the ground if I knock it off the table but I learned quickly I should only try to catch spoons and forks, let the knives go to the floor

Old 08-23-10, 11:03 AM
I spent a lot of years working high (surface ship's masts) and we had two rules. If you drop it - let it go and he who drops it goes and gets it.

Old 08-23-10, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
he who drops it goes and gets it.
Reminds me of a rule we had in college if someone had too much to drink and their body decided to quickly expel some of the offending substance....

Old 08-23-10, 02:13 PM
Yeah, we have to wear harnesses on commercial sites with shock tethers. Always wondered how they worked. No real experience with them, so I'll just have to put faith in the inventors and use them. I remember working for the power company many moons ago. You're up high, and your grunt throws up a tool or fitting. You hold your hand out and it had better hit your hand. You don't reach and he has to dodge it when it comes back down.

Old 08-23-10, 02:42 PM
Group Moderator
Im always amazed how little safety euipment is used here by roofers, Usually just an 18"X18" 2" thick piece of foam rubber to give them a bit more traction.

Old 08-23-10, 04:36 PM
When I had my house re-roofed four years ago they not only used fall-protection gear they also left the tie-off points at the peak.

Old 08-23-10, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Yeah, we have to wear harnesses on commercial sites with shock tethers. Always wondered how they worked. No real experience with them, so I'll just have to put faith in the inventors and use them. I remember working for the power company many moons ago. You're up high, and your grunt throws up a tool or fitting. You hold your hand out and it had better hit your hand. You don't reach and he has to dodge it when it comes back down.
I am constantly citing workers for not wearing or hooking up their harnesses and lanyards properly. We also have problems with workers attaching their lanyard to places that have not been engineered or tested to the 5000lb requirement for fall arrest.

That shock absorber does work by the way. I have pictures of a worker who fell without the proper lanyard and had his harness too loose around the crotch area. You can imagine the damage.,.......

Old 08-23-10, 07:13 PM
Ooh, that hurt thinking about it!! Yeah, I acquired a double hook arrest line. Sort of a PITA to hook up, but the feeling of being arrested AND course corrected rather than swinging in the wind gives some peace of mind. Nobody touches your harness and arrest gear, BTW.

Old 08-23-10, 08:22 PM
Group Moderator
I have a corugated galvanized roof. I haven't been up there since I slid down it like it was a fun slide and landed on my butt.

Old 08-24-10, 06:20 AM
The fall arrestor we used was sold as a "Dyna Brake". It is nothing more than a length of nylon strap folded on itself and stitched. A fall rips the stitches gradually to eliminate the shock from that sudden stop.

Old 08-24-10, 07:00 AM
Group Moderator
Guy who built the house across the street from me and I were talking about roof pitches and he said, "the nice thing about 12/12 roofs is by the time you realize you're falling, it's already over and you're on the ground."

Old 08-24-10, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
Remember always practice safety at work and at play.

Old 08-24-10, 11:08 PM
I have learned to buy cheap tape measures, which I buy in bulk. I lose one a week so why lose an expensive one? Lost a few stanely fat cats before I figured it out. Seem to lose olfa knives and studfinders too.

Old 08-25-10, 03:41 AM
I'm the opposite, I like the 11' stand out on better tapes. I learned to keep them close to me and not let anyone use them. Name emblazoned on them in permanent marker. Lose a few Kershaw Spring Assist's at $40 a pop and you'll not lay them down, either.

Old 08-25-10, 05:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I detest a cheap tape measure [although I own several] besides falling limp when extended, they always seem to pop off of whatever you're measuring ..... and they crimp/bend easy - then they are even harder to use

Old 08-25-10, 07:08 AM
Group Moderator
My real b###h about the cheapies is the case was made for metric and they just stuck the inch tape in. You go to do inside meaurement and the case says add some weird announrt like 2-17/32". Yeah, like I can just add 78-3/8" to 2-17/32" in my head easily quickly.

Old 08-25-10, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
What? No one has mentioned the electric tape measure they had out? Stanley I think?

Weighed about 2 lbs and was the size of 18V tool battery? Yeah...lots of wives bought those for their hubbys I bet.

Old 08-25-10, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
What? No one has mentioned the electric tape measure they had out? Stanley I think?

Weighed about 2 lbs and was the size of 18V tool battery? Yeah...lots of wives bought those for their hubbys I bet.
My wife bought me a digital tape a few years back. What a POS. I finally had to "accidentally" drop it off the garage roof 3-4 times to break it.

Old 08-25-10, 12:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Vic:
Are you thinking the the B & D autotape? I have one of those "paperweights" sitting on my desk.

Every year they come up with new gadgets for people to buy as gifts to give those who know better and would not waste their money on "toy" tools.

Old 08-25-10, 03:21 PM
My wife and I have an agreement. I don't buy feminine items for her and she doesn't even attempt to buy tools for me.....electric tape .....go fish!!!!

Old 08-25-10, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Yep...the B&D it was....what a POJ..

Search this Thread