Bad day at Black Rock

Old 08-19-10, 04:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Bad day at Black Rock

Just wondering if anyone has encountered this. Went to a 400K+ house yesterday to update and correct some electrical stuff done poorly by the electrician just before the house went into foreclosure, so the new owners would have a compliant house.
Finished all the goofy stuff like oversized breakers and the like. Could not get the fireplace to energize. Pulled the box inside the firebox and it had NM cable hooked to it. No power. Fireplace guy came in to set up the firebed and try it out. "Where's the low voltage switch?" Oh, crap. Opened up the wall and line voltage cable and low voltage cables were coiled up on top of the firebox!!! Who did they think was going to hook it up, and how???
OK, I'm calm now. Enough cable to hook up the line voltage to a supply and low voltage to a switch. Still no fire. Turned out to be a faulty switch purchased 15 minutes earlier.
Not a good day.
Oh, BTW, all the slip on indicators in the panel box to tell where the circuit goes were all in French, so I was just wondering.......naw!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-10, 05:34 AM
Group Moderator
BTW, all the slip on indicators in the panel box to tell where the circuit goes were all in French, so I was just wondering.......naw!!
Could have been. Wisconsin isn't that far.

Talk about coiled cable. Once checked a dryer that wasn't working on a new house. They had just butted a vent pipe against the wall. No, no hole cut through the wall. The installation looked good till you went outside to check the air flow and couldn't find the vent.

Old 08-19-10, 12:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Reminds me when I remodeled bathroom it had a ceiling fan and I went to replace it and found out the vent pipe went about 8feet and ended in ceiling. no exhaust to outside. I guess it had been like that for 30 years.

Old 08-19-10, 01:10 PM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately most of my rental houses had bathroom vents that either went nowhere or just emptied into the attic. Hey, all you need is to get the moisture out of the bathroom... right?

Old 08-20-10, 06:47 PM
Now this thread is starting to remind me of that thread posted some months back, that showed like 6 -10 photos of the craziest hookups of electrical and plumbing ,etc., that was so over-the-top ridiculous, you wondered if it was for real. How about an encore presentation?

Old 08-25-10, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I remember those pix....I think I posted them. Everyone thought it was my jobsites
Pugsl, in the south for a number of years all that was required for a bath fan vent was to bring the hose up to a level where the gable vents would evacuate it and tack it to a rafter. Of course we know better, now.

Old 08-25-10, 03:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The vent I was talking about just ended in the ceiling joists. Another floor above it.

Old 08-25-10, 06:45 PM
Eeew, can you say "moisture" buildup?

Search this Thread