Chili Miners

Old 08-27-10, 08:26 AM
Chili Miners

I don't understand the temperatures down there. They say the temperature in the mine is 85° F.

Close to me is the Soudan Underground Mine, been there many times. The temperature in this mine is I believe ~55° F year round. You need a jacket.

Both mines are ~2,300 feet deep. So, why is one so hot and the other so cold?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-10, 08:50 AM
Your Minnesota mine is in a "chilly" location.

The trapped miners are in Chile are in a different location.

The average soil or rock temperature are controlled by the climate if all things are equal.

The mine in Minnesota is in some very, very old rock with no real active internal heat source. I believe the mine in Chile in is newer rock and the area is still warm from the formation of the mountains and friction from movement and there may be magma under it.

Dick

Old 08-27-10, 10:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
magna

if I was a miner, that's where I'd want to work, drilling and blasting near a potential volcano

What blows me away is how long they estimate it will take to rescue them. Heard on the news that the mining company might go belly up - hope that doesn't affect the rescue mission any.

Old 08-27-10, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Man...saw the title and thought someone was looking at a career mining chili. Thought they had closed the last chili mine years ago....lol

J/k Baldwin

Old 08-27-10, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
The mining company doesn't have the money to rescue them, so the Chile government is paying for it. The minors are NOT being paid while they're down there, either!

Old 08-27-10, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
I was being light in my first post....but Chile is basically a 2nd world country. It's a beautiful fantastic place, the people are wonderful.....but it's being exploited in many ways.

Becky...they aren't getting anything? Even some sort of payment for the accident? Help me with a source? I can't really find much...might be using the wrong terms.

Old 08-27-10, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
Vic, this is what they were saying on Fox news this morning. I was watching Philadelphia News, Weather And Sports From WTXF Fox 29 MyFoxPhilly

ETA, actually I was watching Fox Good Day: http://www.myfoxphilly.com/subindex/...y_philadelphia

Old 08-28-10, 05:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
To be a miner, you would not want to be claustrophobic. But if it takes months to rescue them, even a non-claustrophobiac might become one, you'd think. I wonder if they have a place to get rid of their body waste, as to not have that overcome them after a while. ???

Old 08-28-10, 10:06 PM
Ha...good question. I'd guess there is a whole lot of Zip Lock bags going up and down. The real question.....is it Charmin or some cheap one ply?

Looking at the Deep Water Horizon drilling plans (if that's what's called) I notice the temperature rises about .0188° F per foot in depth.

For instance:

At 254' BSF (below sea floor) the temp is 48°

At 2891 BSF it is 94°

So....at 2400 feet the temp would be right around 85°. I guess we just have cold rocks up here to keep it at 55.

Thanks gunny, I made me a big pot of chili today. Not sure which chili mine it came from.

Old 08-29-10, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator
From what they explained on Fox, they actually have about a mile of space, and they've designated areas for everything they do. I would imagine there's some sort of dirt or debris down there that they could use to cover it up?

Old 08-29-10, 12:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A mile. I suppose if it is true that a rescue would take months, many will decide to get in a lot of walking, like people often do at malls (at least up here, in the winter).

They are being sent down food and water through some hole of some sort? If so, then they can send down lighting I suppose and magazines, pictures...maybe even video(like of loved ones?) and stuff? What is the story on this hole that they are able to do this? Is it a relatively small vent shaft/pipe, big enough to send supplies, but too small for a person?

[I suppose anyone truly interested in all this, and has some time on their hands, could read about all the details - but am posting this in case people are only interested to read this forum.]

Old 08-29-10, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
I just read that they have a 4" diameter bore hole for access. They were disassembling bed frames and sending them down in addition to clean clothes and a projector and screen so they can watch some football. Call you imagine being down there for 3 weeks and they say it may be 4 months for them to get you out.