Like coffee?

Old 09-10-10, 10:15 AM
Like coffee?

How much?

I was in a kitchen store yesterday with my wife and I started looking at coffee pots. I found one by DeLonghi for
$2,750.00. Granted it made coffee, espresso and cappuchino but at that price it should also cook breakfast, take out the trash and shine your shoes.

What I would like to know is can you really taste the difference between coffee brewed in a $2800 pot and coffee brewed in a $28 Mr Coffee?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-10, 10:20 AM
Group Moderator
Buy them both and let us know

Old 09-10-10, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
All tastes like beer to me and beer tastes like crap to me. Of course lots of popular things I have never liked. Cigarettes of course top the list. At least with coffee you can add sugar and you can wash a beer down with a chocolate milkshake,

Old 09-10-10, 04:41 PM
Group Moderator
Well, I have a hard time telling the differnce between fresh and yesterday mornings re-heated, so I doubt I would be much of a good tester.

Old 09-10-10, 04:58 PM
I started with camp coffee many, many years ago. That was whatever was left at the camp from the last group and you just threw it in a pan of water and boiled it for a few minutes. Of course it was pure spring water so maybe that gave it an edge, but once the grounds settled, it was coffee. Since then I haven't been particularly picky.

Maybe it would taste better from a $2,750 fancy pot, but I doubt I would enjoy it any more than those camping trips and the mud we brewed up.

Bud

Old 09-10-10, 05:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sorry, I'm more refined than you thugs. Four criteria for coffee.....Black, Hot, Fresh and Strong. Let it sit 15 minutes and you can throw it out. Sissy coffee? Heck no!! If you can see through it as you pour it, it isn't strong enough. I don't drink beer except on special occasions, so I guess it would be like Lite Beer...no thanks.
Unless someone "sees" you making coffee from a $2800 maker, who cares? I don't think it would affect the taste.

Old 09-10-10, 07:07 PM
It's GOTTA be like one of those kitchen appliances like on that Jetsons cartoon. You just punch a few buttons and **PWAFFF**
a hot cup of coffee on a little saucer appears from nowhere, a crisp neatly folded linen napkin by its side.

Old 09-11-10, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
Chandler can't be a REAL coffee drinker; he's 50 miles from the nearest Starbucks!

Old 09-11-10, 06:02 AM
At least a hundred. But I have a difficult time popping $3 for a cup of Joe ($5.50 at the Airport). Goes against the grain.
Hey, I got in law relatives near you and we enjoy a good cup of Expresso now and again. Sleep?? Not hardly.

Old 09-11-10, 07:32 AM
Admin Emeritus
:GMC:

There is a difference between coffee brewed in a common (Cheap) coffee maker and those which are far more costly. One of the major differences is in the brewing process.

As food eateries have discovered, the hotter the water the more coffee that can be extracted from the grinds. Commercial and/or expensive machines brew at hotter temps. Also may brew at slower rates of time. Allows more flavor to be extracted from the grinds.

Another principle is how finely ground beans allow more flavor to be extracted then coarser grinds. One more reason why some coffee manufactures charge more then others.

It's all in the art of perfection brewing and in the science of the brewing process...... Same applies to wines and beers. Quality over quantity. Want a better wine or beer? One has to pay more. Which is why micro brewers exist...

Same applies to every product offered for sale and/or service provided. One usually only gets what one pays for.....:PTB:

Old 09-11-10, 08:18 AM
C'mon Tom, $2800??? I agree with the grind. I forgot to mention, I buy coffee and grind it on Expresso for a finer grind. Lot's more flavor. Keep it in the freezer.
My daughter and SIL have one of those individual coffee makers at their practice. I guess it would beat brewing pot after pot and wasting it all day, but I figured the cost of the little disk paks would be too much for practicality (not to mention non recyclable disk containers). Winter I make a 12 cup full...Summer only one of the 4 cuppers. I don't like to waste it.

Old 09-11-10, 08:18 AM
Yep

Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Sorry, I'm more refined than you thugs. Four criteria for coffee.....Black, Hot, Fresh and Strong. Let it sit 15 minutes and you can throw it out. Sissy coffee? Heck no!! If you can see through it as you pour it, it isn't strong enough. I don't drink beer except on special occasions, so I guess it would be like Lite Beer...no thanks.
Unless someone "sees" you making coffee from a $2800 maker, who cares? I don't think it would affect the taste.
DITTO Chandler!! A good cup of coffee is one you cant see the bottom of the cup!!!!!

Old 09-11-10, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by gqlefty View Post
DITTO Chandler!! A good cup of coffee is one you cant see the bottom of the cup!!!!!
Sounds like midwatch coffee to me. Hot, black and bitter. The only way I'll drink it. I think grind and the bean is probably more important than anything else. That overpriced fru fru stuff just isn't for me. Pumpkin spice latte frappachino? I don't think so.

Gotta' disagree with this one though - "Want a better wine or beer? One has to pay more." I am an inveterate wino. One thing that I know is that while expensive wines are in general of better quality than cheaper wines, the biggest price driver is not quality but marketing and wine snobbery as much as anything else. I have had crappy $100 bottles and some very good $10 bottles. In my many years of spending way too much money on wine, I've found that mid range is the most reliable price point.

Old 09-11-10, 03:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I no longer drink coffee but....

I used to drink a lot of coffee but it started making me sick about 15 yrs ago
you don't have to kick me in the head too many times before I change my behavior

But getting back to the $2800 coffee pot - I don't know if the coffee would taste any better but I'm sure the price tag would give me indigestion

Old 09-12-10, 06:00 AM
Admin Emeritus
I have to agree. $2800.00 is an enormous amount of "Lean Green" to pay for any multi - function type of coffee brewer. But not to those whom have the "Bucks" or entertain often.

Even with all the benefits of a single machine mentioned. Especially if one does not use all the varieties of brewing daily. Best or better IMO to have separate brewers and use them one each as needed. No status of "Look" what I got to show off involved but more practical.

Price is also based upon volume of sales. # of units sold or possible to be sold. Sell more and one can lower the price some. @ almost $2800.00 each one has to suspect not to many sold....HAHA.....

Also wanted to attempt to directly answer the original question asked without personal comments..... Question does have some merit......

I reuse all coffee grinds. Dump them into a 5 gallon empty plastic paint bucket half filled with water. Which is outside. When near full, add in some liquid soil fertilizers and/or plant food and additional water.

Water plants and shrubs as normally done with the diluted mix as a liquid fertilizer for acid loving plants and shrubbery. Amazing how well it works when done right.....

Beer 4U2

Old 09-12-10, 09:56 AM
If you have leftover coffe, you can put it in ice cube trays and freeze it. Then put the coffe cubes into your iced coffee so you will not have the watered down taste you normally get with ice coffee

Old 09-12-10, 10:48 AM
We use the spent grounds as you said. Just outside the back deck are one of our grape arbors. They get a daily dosing of the grounds. Love the acid, I guess. Great idea, too.

Old 10-12-10, 01:51 AM
I agree, I think that is an exorbitant amount of money to spend on a coffeemaker. I just use a simple espresso machine with Illy espresso and I am completely satisfied with it. Perhaps you can look into finding a different model?

Old 01-19-11, 04:44 AM
C'mon lily, you gotta read all these posts from front to back. $2800 for a coffee maker???? It would have to bring the coffee to me on voice command. I'm ok with my $140 Krups.

Old 01-19-11, 06:41 AM
I found a solution to high price of coffee making problem.

My wife thinks I am crazy but I never drink coffee at home where it is "free". I only drink it once or twice a week when we go out to a coffee shop or for breakfast. That way, I get good, plain coffee, do not have to make it and do not have to put up with my wife's coffee recipes and blends. If it is not hot, I just ask for more. - Keep it simple!

Dick

Old 01-19-11, 10:56 AM
I hate burnt coffee so I bought a carafe coffee maker. Cost $50. Now I can pour a cup 2 hours later and it takes decent. I spend prob $15/week at coffee shops. Every morning I pick one up so I can sip while I drive to a job. I buy the smallest.

Every other morning I go to Robins Donuts and ask for a small coffee. Every time they say they don't have small coffee. Medium is their smallest "will that do"? I just smile. If medium is their smallest, isn't it a small?

Old 01-19-11, 07:46 PM
How can you judge "medium" without a "small" or "large". So in reality their "medium" is a "small", and their "large" is a.........."large". That means there is no "medium". Maybe I'm wrong.

Old 01-20-11, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
Ahh you've got to love marketing. No small but they've got; medium, large and super sized. The poor person at the cash register was probably totally confused when you asked for a small. There probably was not "small" button on the register.

Next time you go back there for coffee. Order the coffee and if it's $1.47 say "ah I've got it exactly" and start to hand them $1.47 and let them key that into the register. Then take the money back and say "sorry" and hand them an even $2 and watch the look on their face. If they appear really smart you can hand them $2.12 and watch them try to figure out how to make change. If you can pull out a stopwatch and start timing them, all the better. Extra points if you can get them to move their lips as they count, big bonus if they have to count out loud and mega jackpot if they have to call the manager to zero out the $1.47 previously entered so they can start over again.

Old 01-20-11, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
Every other morning I go to Robins Donuts and ask for a small coffee. Every time they say they don't have small coffee. Medium is their smallest "will that do"? I just smile. If medium is their smallest, isn't it a small?
Had that argument over fries at Burger King more then once. I'd say no I'd like the small. And finally say you have to have a small since you have a medium.... Stopped eating at Burger King for a while, too hard on the digestion.

Old 01-20-11, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
Ahh you've got to love marketing. No small but they've got; medium, large and super sized. The poor person at the cash register was probably totally confused when you asked for a small. There probably was not "small" button on the register.

Next time you go back there for coffee. Order the coffee and if it's $1.47 say
.... Or give them a $2 bill.

Yes, $2 bills are in circulation. We have a scrap metal yard that pays in $2 bills but I doubt many of the clerks have watched their late night ads.

Old 01-20-11, 11:25 AM
I just go to McDonald's for good coffee and oatmeal ( a little sweet) and read the paper. It is less than 1/2 mile away. Good, cheap and easy. The older regulars that always wear caps are the free entertainment.

Sometimes, the coffee is too hot, but I do not put it between my thighs when driving.

Dick

Old 01-21-11, 04:47 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Had that argument over fries at Burger King more then once. I'd say no I'd like the small. And finally say you have to have a small since you have a medium.... Stopped eating at Burger King for a while, too hard on the digestion.
Ray, are we getting older, or what? I used to love BK...chargrilled flavor, but it seems lately it tastes like tofu on a campfire. Not sure if it's me or what, but I quit, too. I've started my "burger" eating at local joints (mom & pop). They are the best! Of course 90% of the time I have to eat "healthy" and report to wifey "what I had for lunch, today". She always asks......why??

When we were younger, I'd say "I forgot". She's say "you forgot what you had for lunch?!", and I'd say, "no, I forgot to eat". That's bad. Back then all you needed was a pack of peanuts and a Coke.

Search this Thread