Annoying commercial

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-10, 05:55 AM
Group Moderator
Annoying commercial

Am I the only one who's heard and been really annoyed by the commercial being run by a carmaker wherein a lady laments having been laid off by her job, but then springs for a new car?

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 09-11-10 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Edited slightly.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-10, 06:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm generally annoyed by commercials period. I haven't seen the one you mention, but have it on radar when it does show. Seems the premise you present is too political to air on the forum so I'll keep my comments sane.

Old 09-11-10, 07:01 AM
I don't need to hear it or see it. That description was enough. Truly irritating.
And I'm with chandler. Commercials in general seem to express a very clueless and uninvited outlook about reality.

Old 09-11-10, 09:33 AM
Itís a clever marketing scheme targeted at consumerís with credit problems but doing it in a way w/o arousing public scrutiny of the unfair advantage that GMAC has relative to all other auto makers, and every other U.S. manufacturer, except for Chrysler.

There have been 3 federal government infusions of cash into GMAC, and in return, the taxpayers now own a 56.3% of the company. In December 2008, the Federal Reserve granted emergency approval so that GMAC could convert into a bank holding company. This allows it to gather deposit savings from the public, and a cheap way to fund itís operations. In May 2009, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. agreed to help GMAC by extending a guarantee to cover any losses as part of a plan to attract investors.

GM executives understand if they can bring in less credit worthy customers, and present a cheap financing package, they donít have to worry about risk of loss from underwriting bad loans as that risk is being transferred to taxpayers should these loans go sour.

Old 09-11-10, 02:11 PM
De ja vu Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac??? Isn't that sort of what started our economic mess to begin with??

Old 09-11-10, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
That's why I only watch TV via the DVR anymore. I just skip over the commercials. Now that I've gotten accustomed to it I can't stand to watch TV straight anymore.

Old 09-11-10, 06:59 PM
Guess you can pause it when nature calls, huh? The other thing about commercials (which I am sure we have touched on before) is the volume increase between the regular program and the ads. Whew, that's unnerving! Contact DirecTV and they say they only broadcast what the stations send....contact the stations and they say they only send what the advertisers send.....talk to the FCC and they can't pour water out of a boot with the instructions on the sole.....where does it end?
Aha!! bought a replacement TV for the bedroom the other day. It has a feature that actually reduces advertisement volume.

Old 09-11-10, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
De ja vu Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac??? Isn't that sort of what started our economic mess to begin with??
"Sort of started our economic mess"....maybe. The real problem was derivatives. These bankers should be sent to prison yet they get a raise. Crazy!

Buffett called them (derivatives) 'financial weapons of mass destruction.' I'd hope we'll learn something from this but I doubt it.

Old 09-12-10, 02:10 PM
Aren't GM and GMAC two entirely different entities nowadays? I know in years past, GMAC was GM's financing arm, but I thought Cerebus (former owner of Chrysler) purchased GMAC a while back. I thought GM was completely devoid of any partnership with GMAC.

I haven't seen that particular ad, but it sounds like there will soon be a lot of repossesed and likely poorly maintained cars of that model for sale.

Old 09-12-10, 04:17 PM
Thereby making the need for another "cash for clunkers" program!! Gosh our government has become self perpetuating!!!

Old 09-14-10, 11:51 AM
I haven't seen that ad, but the ones that talk about allegedly free credit scores drive me up the wall. Unless you are trying to qualify for a loan, why do you need to know your credit score?

Last edited by NEsportsfan; 09-14-10 at 11:52 AM. Reason: why is not spelled the same way as the abbreviation for wyoming.
Old 09-14-10, 04:27 PM
NESF, credit scores are free anyway. All three credit agencies are required by law to furnish a free copy of your credit scores at least once a year or if there has been a dispute that can't be resolved that resulted in a dramatic reduction in your credit scores. You don't need a credit score supplier outside the credit agencies themselves.

Old 09-14-10, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Larry...not quite....
They are required to furnish a "credit report"...not a score. The report is good for checking acuracy and problems...but won't tell you the same as the score. There are several free services that will give you a score...check clark howards website.

Old 09-14-10, 06:33 PM
You're right, Vic. I used the term "score" incorrectly. But aren't the "scores" derived from the overall report of the agencies? Surely there is a correlated formula for figuring it.

Old 09-14-10, 06:54 PM
While a person's credit score IS based upon their credit report(s) the methodology used by the various credit bureaus and also FICO (Fair Isaacs Corporation) are all slightly different so that the actual "score" will differ between the various agencies. Each agency "weighs" each item tracked a little bit differently.

I do the free reports every year and it is amazing some of the incorrect information that I have found over the years. Most of it has no deleterious on my overall score so I don't get too excited but I go through the process to get it corrected anyway. The free reports generally do not include the "score" but they will sell it to you for about $10 each as I recall.

Old 09-15-10, 10:52 AM
My point was that those ads are intensely annoying

Old 09-15-10, 07:39 PM
ALL television advertising is intensely annoying. Like some others I record most of what I watch and I zip through the advertising.

Old 09-16-10, 04:59 PM
I once heard that tv shows are only on, as a way to get us to watch commercials. Otherwise, they'd have nothing but commercials on.

Similar to one of our local advertising papers some people around here get in the mail every couple weeks, where it is all ads - and they get you to read it by inserting on most pages some clever joke, here and there.

Old 10-05-10, 07:28 PM
I thought it was sorta cute the first time I saw it but after a hundred times if I see that stupid pig say wee-wee-wee all the way home one more time I may have to buy a firearm and dispatch my TV.

Old 10-05-10, 07:59 PM
Right now, the political ads are annoying, especially when opponents ads immediately follow each other. Especially annoying when a national political party tries to steal or buy a local or district seat in the House of Representatives and 80% to 90% of the watchers in the viewing area cannot even vote on the local race. When the stealer is 10% behind, more money flows in because of the panic and embarrassment to the party trying to steal.

Dick

Old 10-06-10, 09:42 AM
Be nice if these politicians sent us the money they spend on ads.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread