Table Saw That Doesn't Cut Fingers

Old 09-19-10, 08:27 AM
Group Moderator
Table Saw That Doesn't Cut Fingers

The demo at the end is not for the faint at heart. It may give any sane wood worker nightmares so don't watch just before bed. YouTube - SawStop Finger Demonstration - move over hot dog!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-10, 09:14 AM
what good is a table saw if you cant cut your finger off ?

Old 09-19-10, 11:14 AM
Ray -that saw has been around for a while. I've seen it demo's on a couple of woodworking shoes and Tommy Silva demo't it on ATOH a couple of years ago. He used a hot dog and not a thumb though.

Old 09-19-10, 12:02 PM
Group Moderator
We had a thread going a while back dealing with people who are suing saw manufacturers after they cut off fingers on saws WITHOUT the technology on the basis of the technology being available and not installed on their particular saws. Another step away from personal responsiblility.

Old 09-19-10, 01:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Since it works on conductivity, can you cut pt lumber on it? The only problem with the no-thumb saw is the stopping mechanism destroys itself and the $50 blade when it stops. I guess a small price to pay for a dipstick too cheap to buy feather boards and push sticks. You just can't legislate stupid.

Old 09-19-10, 02:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
We had a thread going a while back dealing with people who are suing saw manufacturers after they cut off fingers on saws WITHOUT the technology on the basis of the technology being available and not installed on their particular saws. Another step away from personal responsiblility.
You mean I could have sued someone for me being stupid and sawing off the tip of my thumb a few years ago

I never have understood those out there that are looking to sue at the drop of a hat...... not overly fond of those types of lawyers either

Old 09-20-10, 04:06 AM
Group Moderator
Apparently. I'm waiting for the day when one of the saw-stop equipped machines fails to stop an amputation; then who gets sued?

Old 09-20-10, 02:30 PM
Wouldn't it be funny in a strange way to see someone suing his parents for his/her stupidity?

Old 09-20-10, 03:15 PM
They made him, but they didn't make him stupid. That takes practice. I believe eye color, hair color, skin color and a few other things comes from parents. All the other stuff attributed to heredity is quetionable or bull hooey to begin with. "I'm (insert fault) because it's in my genes" .......hockey puck!
I'm off topic....sorry.

Old 09-23-10, 01:02 AM
Awesome. I nicked my thumb pretty good on the table saw about 5 months ago and it still hurts. Here I thought I was just stupid but now I realize stupidity is really an entreprenrial opportunity. Hey in general, I'm actually really stupid.... move over Bill Gates I could become rich!

Old 09-23-10, 04:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Table saw jumped up and bit me about 3 months ago. never thought about suing for stupid. Still have thumb but hurts and is numb at same time.

Old 09-23-10, 04:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Except for the initial cut, my thumb never hurt but the tip is numb and it's difficult to pick small items up with my right hand.

Since there are at least 3 of us here that admit to being hurt by a saw - can we get a class action suit going

Old 09-23-10, 06:09 PM
I own this saw myself and highly recommend it. People bring up that the destruction of the blade as a downside all the time. I cut myself on a table saw and suffered a very minor injury and I would trade that for a $100 blade and $60 cartridge any day. I'm sure my boss would have preferred it over the $1,000 ER bill and increased workman's comp premiums as well.

You have to disable the safety device to cut things like PT wood that conduct electricity. There is a key on the switch box that you turn to do that. It will only be disabled during that time the saw is running. So if you stop the saw, you will have to turn the key again to disable it.

Old 09-24-10, 09:41 AM
I was hurt by a saw, but not a table saw. you really shouldn't space out when working with power tools. Learned that the hard way.

Old 09-24-10, 05:46 PM
No, you shouldn't work with power saws while spaced out. You should stay at home in a soft chair with wings so you won't fall over. Melt back with headsets on listening to The Rolling Stones.........deja vu. Sounds like the 60's.
But then 40 years passes and you've mostly outgrown it all.