Have you told any friends or relatives about the DIY forum?

Old 09-25-10, 09:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you told any friends or relatives about the DIY forum?

Curious. Because I would think on some of the forums here, there would be even more activity and responses from pros than what there already is. (I.e., no pros out there who want to help people out with their refrigerators, for one thing?)

If you have NOT put out the word about the DIY forum, is it out of fear they might ask what your name is here?, and then see if the information you are giving people sounds correct, and/or for any reasons that they may compare your responses to that of how you seem to them in real life, or perhaps might freudian slip out your real identity, perhaps?

I have told some people about this forum. Whether they have visited here though, I do not know. Some are family members from far away and I should ask them, when I think of it.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-10, 09:09 AM
yep, i get the word out whenever the subject comes up.

if they ask my name, i tell them that is top secret.

Old 09-26-10, 10:44 AM
as the economy continues on its present path I think a lot off pros are thinking If I tell a DIY er how to fix it I could be taking food of my table or of the table of another pro

I have refereed a couple people but usually I will refer them to a pro board in the problem area

Old 09-26-10, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by mango man View Post
as the economy continues on its present path I think a lot off pros are thinking If I tell a DIY er how to fix it I could be taking food of my table or of the table of another pro

I have refereed a couple people but usually I will refer them to a pro board in the problem area
There are pros HERE. Some have many, many years experience.

Old 09-26-10, 01:07 PM
People are inherently going to try to fix things themselves. Yes, there are certain things only pro's should attempt, but in today's economy people are going to save money with or without our help. The "pro" who would normally have the work, wouldn't have it anyway, so giving advice to keep people safe and code worthy is where it is. For many of the things people are doing, some pro's think it is beneath them and won't even return calls.
Don't get me wrong, I've been doing it for 20 years, and don't feel threatened if someone wants to change out a 3 way switch rather than charge them $75 for a service call, when I could be making more money on a larger project.

Old 09-26-10, 01:47 PM
I've told several people about these forums but I don't think any of them have joined.

Old 09-26-10, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
There are pros HERE. Some have many, many years experience.
I didn't say there weren't ....question asked that I offered a opinion on is why there arent more

Old 09-27-10, 04:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I never owned or learned how to use a computer until after I retired. The main reason was because I didn't have the time I suspect lack of time is the main reason there aren't more pros on the forums.

I agree with Larry that those who ask for advice generally aren't the ones that would hire me [if I was still working] I almost always had more work than I needed and it never bothered me to give someone painting advice , it helped them and probably helped my reputation a little in the process

back to the original question
Most of my friends and relatives know I participate on these forums but I don't think any of them have joined...... but guess who they usually call if they need help

Old 09-27-10, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
I never owned or learned how to use a computer until after I retired. The main reason was because I didn't have the time I suspect lack of time is the main reason there aren't more pros on the forums.

I agree with Larry that those who ask for advice generally aren't the ones that would hire me [if I was still working] I almost always had more work than I needed and it never bothered me to give someone painting advice , it helped them and probably helped my reputation a little in the process
back to the original question
Most of my friends and relatives know I participate on these forums but I don't think any of them have joined...... but guess who they usually call if they need help
What a concept. A contractor that understood good customer relations goes a long way in promoting your business. It's been my experience that a good many small HI contractors don't have a clue about the business side and could care less about the customer.

Old 09-27-10, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
My wife has referred a couple of cross country friends...cause they knew I was a jerk of all trades and could maybe help. When I couldn't..they came here and were fixed right up.

Wayne....whats an HI contractor?

Old 09-27-10, 03:20 PM
HI contractor=Home Improvement contractor.

Old 09-27-10, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Don't get me wrong, I've been doing it for 20 years, and don't feel threatened if someone wants to change out a 3 way switch rather than charge them $75 for a service call, when I could be making more money on a larger project.
I wish I would get calls from people willing to pay me $75 to change out a switch. Heck with getting up on a roof............or sanding sheetrock mud.

Old 09-27-10, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
I don't have the time either. But I would go out of my gourd if I kept working until every job I had to do was done that day.

Old 09-27-10, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Thx furd..................................

Old 09-27-10, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by furd View Post
HI contractor=Home Improvement contractor.
If you watch Holmes on Homes enough, I think he believes in HD contractors. Home destroyer contractors.

Old 09-27-10, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
No...he is sponsored by HD, and don't forget he's in CA (Canada..not California)...same company...but different.

Old 09-27-10, 08:00 PM
Like on last night's edition.....took up subflooring and found wires laid flat to hide them. Then decided to remove another 2" of subflooring that had been there since 1960!! Just gotta know what's under there...might be a boogie man. I agree wholeheartedly with making things right, but where do you stop with "deconstruction"? Two episodes in the past two weeks, the lady wound up with a hole in the ground where her house used to be......I know it was shoddy work, but wow, was it really necessary to go to bedrock?

Old 09-28-10, 01:58 AM
Good show but he sure gets dramatic. He tore apart a wall and in the end the only problem he could findwas that a telephone wire was spliced in it. He was so upset that a anyone would do that. He made it seem like he saved the homeowner by fixing that issue. Many times, he justifies a total ripout by finding some irrelevant flaw.

Old 09-28-10, 06:32 AM
I quit watching this ego on legs years ago. Time and again the guy will spend 50 grand to fix a $500 problem. I think the last time I watched he had a crew destroy a slab because he was convinced it wasn't built to code (every time I hear him use the word code I want to puke). It was.

Old 09-28-10, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Like on last night's edition.....took up subflooring and found wires laid flat to hide them. Then decided to remove another 2" of subflooring that had been there since 1960!! Just gotta know what's under there...might be a boogie man. I agree wholeheartedly with making things right, but where do you stop with "deconstruction"? Two episodes in the past two weeks, the lady wound up with a hole in the ground where her house used to be......I know it was shoddy work, but wow, was it really necessary to go to bedrock?
I saw that one, I think. Is that the one they really did not bulldoze the place, but took the whole 2 story place apart, piece by piece, until it was totally gone?

Ever think, watching that show, if YOU would be made out to be not a very good builder?

Also, ever wonder when they remodel say a bathroom, that they make out to not be up to snuff, and gut out all the tile work someone else did (even $15 a piece tile), that the person who did it might be watching the show, screaming at the tv?

Old 09-28-10, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
............it wasn't built to code (every time I hear him use the word code I want to puke). It was.
That word "code" caught on so well, they decided to use it in "The Pirates of the Caribbean" movie.