Reporting posts

Old 09-28-10, 04:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Reporting posts

I know there is a good logical reason behind it, but when I get up early and see spammers at work and advertisers, as I run through the forums, I will usually send a report to make it easier on the mods to execute them.
Waiting 360 seconds between reports just put a stop to that, so you mods are on your own. Have fun.
And the smilies still suck. Old things aren't always bad and new things aren't always good. Somewhere in the mix this thing should have been tried out before plopping it out on the table.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-10, 04:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Larry the 360 seconds between report posts has been around for awhile - prior to the recent changes

Old 09-28-10, 04:45 PM
Is there actually something called a "report post"? I know with regular posts I have to wait 3 minutes between them.

Old 09-28-10, 05:11 PM
There used to be. I see no link to flag spam within a thread in this format. Which was probably the most useful spam reporting us members could do.
The 360 second delay seems to have been set to stop rampant spam or at least automated spam. Why that setting would be used for spam flagging link is odd. Perhaps to deter other types of forum vandalism such as someone tearing through the site and flagging everything as spam.

Old 09-28-10, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
The report post icon is down in the lower left just below the post.....the triangle with the exclamation point in it. We've been told that's a part of the software and may not be able to be modified.

EDIT...sorry if anyone read the prior info...what you see above is correct.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 09-28-10 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-28-10, 06:13 PM
Spammers have to wait 180 seconds to post spam, and we have to wait 360 seconds to report them. We're not on the winning side by a self inflicted wound.

Old 09-28-10, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
The report post icon is down in the lower left just below the post.....the triangle with the exclamation point in it. We've been told that's a part of the software and may not be able to be modified.

EDIT...sorry if anyone read the prior info...what you see above is correct.
Ahhhh. Found it/tried it. Never knew it was there. How bout that. Now we can report that guy selling shoes in the auto forum! GI2 (Good ole smilies are back. Hooray!!!!)

Old 09-28-10, 06:32 PM
chandler -

Just remember that is the way it has always been done, so it has to be sensible and proper even if it prevents people from contributing posting elsewhere in a timely manor. After I make a post, I immediately go to another forum to keep going.

If I make a post to report an apparent violation, I cann't answer anyone elses question on the forum unless my time is worth nothing or I am bored.

You would think an upgrade would be an ideal time to get rid of the known problems. I guess the lack of a Beta test is part of the problem and the idea that the site is the largest (but not the fastest growing) add to the bureaucratic error. I don't think this will get through the "police censors" since my last comment did not.

Dick

Old 09-28-10, 09:13 PM
360 seconds? Are you sure? That's SIX MINUTES! It was 180 seconds (three minutes) and I know they once tried 300 seconds (five minutes) and I was gigged when I complained.

If it is six minutes maybe "they" are trying to discourage the most prolific members.

Old 09-29-10, 03:43 AM
Group Moderator
It's not new, quite problematic, and nothing has been done to remedy the problem. But then this is the only forum I've ever seen that compartmentalizes moderators to small specific areas.

http://forum.doityourself.com/modera...?daysprune=365

Old 09-29-10, 04:17 AM
I had the highest international security clearance where I worked at the airport years ago, but I can't access the link you posted PD, because I don't have the clearance to view it. Sorry.
Furd, the 6 minutes is for reporting a bad poster. The 3 minutes is the lag between regular posts.
Dick, like I said in my OP, I'll just let the spammers have their fun and let the mods handle it. My time is worth a whole lot more than waiting for a time frame to expire. Yeah, beta testing would have been nice. BUT when you're only a contributor and not a power to be, you sit back and watch paint dry......sorry Marksr...couldn't help it.

Old 09-29-10, 07:21 AM
Group Moderator
Basically the link is to a thread where I asked your question in the moderator section earlier this year. Even us moderators are under the same posting time limit which is often very frustrating. It's one of the major reasons I spend a limited amount of time on this forum. I read and type very fast so a time limit between posts is quite restrictive.

Old 09-29-10, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
Just a note on a possible work around...if you feel like it. I don't do it but I've seen others mention it. Open a couple of extra tabs or windows and open DIY in each one, if you plan on replying to more than one post. Type a reply, post it, type another reply, type another reply, post the second reply....etc etc....you see what I mean. I'm on the PC in my garage...so I can just go fiddle with something for a minute or 2, or come back to the thread later and reply. Course I have more free time than most.

As to the reporting posts...those only notify the Supermods...and most times the Group mods have already corrected it. But keep doing it please..it's a good QA check. Also...no need to report a spammer more than once. We'll look at all his posts and eliminate them no problem (well..once they fix a glitch in the "show all posts" function, it'll be no problem). And I don't think reporting a post affects the replying to a post does it? 2 separate timers?

Finally...there was a Beta test...and some issues were found...but until something is out in the wind with all eyes on it and normal posting going on...not all the problems come to light. Everyone has their own way of navigating and posting. Heck..look at smilies...I never used 'em...so never noticed they were messed up. Or as someone brought up about the CP...I maybe would go into that 1 time a year....but they used it all the time.

Just for yer info...

Last edited by Gunguy45; 09-29-10 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-29-10, 08:22 AM
Group Moderator
I currently open all the sections & threads in new tabs because of the slow load times. Which somewhat exasperates the problem. I have multiple pages loaded and ready to go, but I can reply every 3 years.

PS: The page speed load currently not as much an issue as it had been in the past. At home it is is mainly because of my satellite Internet connection, and I do it at work just out of habit.

Old 09-29-10, 02:40 PM
"Minutes" PD, not years. I know it seems that long. There may be two timers, Vic, one for the reporting and one for regular posting, but why have one on the "reporting" to begin with, or why have it twice as long? All we're doing is reporting advertising, etc. And I don't report the same one more than once. I figured for the most part you would banish them to California anyway for the first infraction. I just happened to find two in a row on my venture through the forums and thought it odd that they can spam us every 180 seconds and I can only report them every 360 seconds.
Old ground. Beta Test? How do you get invited to one of those? How long to they last? Like you said, until run of the mill guys get hold of it, the beta testing only catches the big stuff.

Old 09-29-10, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Heck..look at smilies...I never used 'em...so never noticed they were messed up.
Look at what you are missing! :smoke: :moonface:

Old 09-29-10, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
Hey..I'm just one of "them"...only a bit higher in the food chain....not like I get to make decisions.

I do agree..inviting some longtime active members to the Beta would be good...but not sure how much diff it would make til ya start getting real posts and spam. Big upgrades don't happen that often I don't think either...just minor stuff.

Old 09-30-10, 04:26 AM
Clock is still messed up. I have to set mine at -4 GMT to get the right time to post, although I live in - 5 GMT. These are the "small" things they can't seem to get their attention on.

Old 09-30-10, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
The time is working OK for me. I just replied to a post and the time was right.
Not sure why yours is off.

Old 09-30-10, 09:33 AM
If I set my time to -5 GMT, which is where I live, all the times will be one hour off, but only during DST. During the winter, they correct themselves. Log onto a thread near midnight, and it will sometimes show "yesterday" for the date, which is confusing. It's a small thing, but with all the knowledge base we have doing these magnanimous changes, the small things get overlooked. You have to understand from a "member" standpoint, not a super moderator stand point what we see and do every day on the forums.

Old 09-30-10, 09:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It has to do with the time change in the spring and fall. I don't remember which it is but the forums doesn't recognize the time change so we have to manually change our time zone for the forums clock to tell the right time.

Just a minor issue that's been around for quite a few years. You'd think it would be easy for them to fix but what do I know

Old 09-30-10, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
Yes, I'm aware of the time change problem. I actually see what you see, just a little more. I'm in the same time zone as you and I have it set to -5 GMT, yet my time is showing up right.
I wonder if any other members are having a time issue?

Old 09-30-10, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
I'm currently set to GMT-5 and the time is showing correctly for Eastern time.

Old 09-30-10, 03:00 PM
I just got bitten by the 360 second wait after a post. I tried to respond with answers to two others and I was told to wait, so I just went a different site and may have time to get back.

Dick

Old 09-30-10, 03:14 PM
What I don't understand is why this is hte only forum that I am a member that has such time wasting policies. Add to the 180 second and 360 second foolishness the requirement for more than 25 characters in a response.

I am a member of 7 or 8 sports forums, 3 DIY forums and several travel forums. Some of them are high volume. None of them have such restrictions.

Old 09-30-10, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
I believe the problem is a general disconnect between the forum users and forum operators. I doubt the operators ever use the forum.. I doubt they ever read what is posted here. Lets face it we are unimportant to the owners.

Old 09-30-10, 05:47 PM
At the bottom of the page it says "all times GMT -4. The time is 845 pm.
Aaaah, I see. In my profile settings it is set to GMT -5, but the pages themselves are showing GMT -4.

Last edited by chandler; 09-30-10 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-01-10, 05:06 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
...Lets face it we are unimportant to the owners.
Power to the people. Down with "the man"...

Old 10-01-10, 08:02 AM
There are DST settings, but they don't seem to operate correctly. You can set them always on or always off. There is an automatic detection setting that doesn't work for me.

Old 10-01-10, 09:27 AM
This may not be a big thing, but the dates of daylight wave changed in the last year or two, but the U.S. and Europe dates still do not mesh. This may may not be a problem since they do refer to GMT, which may not be affected by daylight time terminology.

Dick

Old 10-02-10, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
What I don't understand is why this is hte only forum that I am a member that has such time wasting policies. Add to the 180 second and 360 second foolishness the requirement for more than 25 characters in a response.

I am a member of 7 or 8 sports forums, 3 DIY forums and several travel forums. Some of them are high volume. None of them have such restrictions.
It's no use complaining, they will not listen. I b!tched about all this crap for the last 4-5 years. I've been to many other Internet Brands owned sites that get WAY more traffic then this site, and they don't even have the restrictions as this place. Management here will just give you lip service as to why the policy is in place and your concerns will be swept under the rug.

Old 10-02-10, 03:32 PM
Based on the posts in this thread and the number of times it has been a topic it's pretty obvious that complaints are falling on deaf ears. All I would like to know is why is this board so different from all the other boards?

Maybe the way to get a response is for all of the "regular" posters on the site to stage a no post/no visit sitdown for a couple of days or until the owners address our concerns.

I wonder what the shelf life of this post will be.

Old 10-02-10, 04:21 PM
As annoying as this stuff is, I have to say this is a well run forum. Go over to the This Old House forum. That place is garbage. It is so over run with spam it's not even worth posting. You would think they would have a strong interest in having their forum be as busy and helpful as this one, but it just doesn't compare.

Old 10-02-10, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
Based on the posts in this thread and the number of times it has been a topic it's pretty obvious that complaints are falling on deaf ears. All I would like to know is why is this board so different from all the other boards?

Maybe the way to get a response is for all of the "regular" posters on the site to stage a no post/no visit sitdown for a couple of days or until the owners address our concerns.

I wonder what the shelf life of this post will be.
It ain't the owners (Internet Brands) that have this policy in place. Sharp_Advice manages the place the last I knew and it's his decision.

Old 10-05-10, 09:13 AM
If I see a spammer I just send a pm to a mod, most of the time towguy, because that is the only name I remember regularly.

Old 10-05-10, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
No reason to send a PM....just click the little triangle with the "!" in the lower left of the post. PMs aren't instant, and sometimes by the time they'd receive them they've signed off.

Unless its real early or late..I'd imagine most spam is gone w/i 20-30 minutes..often less.

Old 10-05-10, 10:45 AM
Most (all?) of the spam I see are posts where somebody is either trying to sell something or they are trying to get somebody to visit a web site. I can certainly understand why spammer links are quickly removed, but I'm curious why spammer posts are allowed to linger on the board.
Usually any imbedded link is removed, the guy is banned and the post remains. Why not just delete the post immediately?

Old 10-05-10, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Wayne....I think (and I'm still kinda new at this) that if there is usable info in the post..the link is just removed and the Member is given a warning, which basically add up like points on a drivers license (well..thats what I do). There have been a few in the past that included a link as a signature (non-issue now) or as a part of the word processor they used to make replies. After notification, they changed it and were helpful members.

If it's obviously nothing but a nonsense post with a link or pushing one product or company..then the whole thing is removed and the Member is banned.

Old 10-05-10, 11:12 AM
Yeah, just ran across a post inviting us back to Vietnam. I'm sure things have changed in 42 years, but a return trip.......naaaaa.
Post is still active, link is still active, spammer ditched.

Old 10-05-10, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Whaaaaa? I took care of that I thought...did I miss one?

Going to check now...but can you send a link?

EDIT Never mind...shoulda waited til I had my coffee. Taken care of...