Beer formulas

Old 10-02-10, 08:29 PM
Beer formulas

Is it me or are the major beer manufacturers messing around with their formulas.
Either my sense of taste has dramatically changed or they're messing with my classic beers.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-10, 04:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Once we get the spammers gone.......Mackey, probably depends on what type beer you drink. I am a veeerrrry limited beer drinker, so the run of the mill Bud lite is out of the question. Dark beer, usually from local micro brewers give the bold taste I like.
But to your question, I think your taste changes and once you bombard it with the production line beer, your taste buds want more. Drink responsibly.

Old 10-03-10, 04:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, you taste buds have probably changed. I used to drink a LOT of beer As expected in my late 30's I developed a beer gut I switched to a lite beer to rectify that I hated the 1st case but by the time I'd went thru several cases of lite beer, it grew on me to the point that I preferred lite over regular......... but I haven't drank anything stronger than NyQuil in almost 20 yrs

Old 10-03-10, 06:21 AM
I'm in the don't drink much beer (anymore) crowd. A bottle after mowing the lawn and after a round of golf is about it.

When I was a beer drinker I liked the Milwaukee style pilsners. Now I can't stand the stuff. There is too much great beer from small local breweries available. Any beer I drink has color and taste unlike that other stuff.

Old 10-03-10, 06:29 AM
Group Moderator
The only major brewery I know for sure that has changed their recipe was Schlitz. I think this with some mismanagement was part of their downfall. Recently Pabst, the current owners of the Schlitz brand, have brought back the original recipe in a few markets. I've tasted them side by side and the original is better.

Old Milwaukee is one I suspect has changed but I have nothing more than fuzzy memory to prove it. I just recall it being much better in the early 2000's though they have won gold at GABF in 03 and 04. Recent tastes of it seem thin, lacking body and over carbonated. I can't imagine that beer taking gold.

Major breweries have extreme ability to maintain consistency over time. They have labs to test their product and the equipment to do whatever is needed so I'd have to say that nothing is happening that they don't want. That said, I don't know of a beer that has publicly announced a recipe change but I would not put it past a them to try and cut costs somewhere.

Old 10-05-10, 09:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sorry I can't help you. I prefer hard cider preferably a New England brand named after a small animal.

Old 10-05-10, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Back in the 80's (I think) Strohs had issues with their brew.... They did lots of expansion and started buying new breweries....don't know whether the recipe changed, but the taste sure did.

Old 10-05-10, 10:09 AM
Group Moderator
In the early 80' Stroh took over Schaefer's brewery. I assume some Stroh production moved to the Schaefer brewery to serve the east coast. I wonder if there was a taste difference between the Stroh's produced in Detroit and in New York. So much (bad) was going on during that time it's easy to believe that quality may have suffered.

Stroh really stepped in it when they bought Schlitz. Now they are part of the Pabst holding company and god knows where their beer is brewed. I assume contract brewed by the lowest bidder.

Old 10-05-10, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
It used to be my favorite beer..then when I was at the bar one time...it seemed different. Talking to the bartender she said others had said the same. Started looking through the beer in the back (I was a part time employee) and found different cases. I'm sure thats exactly what it was. Those old kettles and employees did it one way...and the new places made it another even if not intentionally. WIki has a pretty good history of the company.

Old 10-05-10, 12:54 PM
Group Moderator
I was up in Milwaukee this summer and it was really sad to drive by the old "beer barons" homes and then to go by where the old breweries used to be located. Luckily they have some really good craft breweries in town now.