How can you stop these calls

Old 10-16-10, 02:55 PM
Angry How can you stop these calls

I am on the DNC list and have had to "Block" several numbers also.
But--how can you stop NO NAME NO NUMBER Calls?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-10, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
I have had a similar problem with junk faxes. There is a complaint form you can file with the gov't. and I get a nice letter back in the mail a week later... with copies of what I submitted to them but have never noticed a change in the amount of junk faxed to me.

I get "private" wrong number calls to my cell phone sometimes. I generally assume it is a wrong number call from someone's crack phone.

Old 10-16-10, 03:37 PM
When I stupidly signed up for a Verizon land-line as part of a package deal with my FiOS Internet it wasn't an hour after it was activated that I had my first junk call. I soon had to turn off the ringer on that phone and use it only for outgoing calls because I would get at least a half-dozen junk calls a day. Even after signing up on the Do Not Call registry I was getting calls from political organizations (specifically exempt for the DNC registry) and charitable organizations. But the worst was that even two years after I signed up I was receiving calls for the person previously assigned that number.

I tried everything from telling people that "Julia" no longer had this number to stating that she was dead. Many of the calls were obviously computer generated as it was a synthesized voice asking me to, "Please hold for an important message for Julia ***." I finally got a "pay as you go" plan from a VoIP provider and that is what I now use for outgoing calls after dumping the land line several months ago. I save about $30 a month by dumping that useless land line.

But to answer your question, many systems have a feature where you can automatically reject any number that doesn't provide called ID. Of course you have to HAVE caller ID service to begin with and the telephone company may charge you an additional fee for the call rejection service but if "no caller ID" calls really bother you...

Or you can have anyone that you want to call you to call you on your cell phone and then you advise them that you will call them right back on the land line. Then simply turn the ringer off on the land line telephone(s).

Old 10-17-10, 03:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I remember correctly, my stepson [when he had a landline] paid the telephone company an extra fee which prevented any calls without a name attached to the number from going thru. The caller would get an recording stating why the call wouldn't go thru. It used to make my wife mad when she would try to call him from her cell phone

Old 10-17-10, 05:06 AM
Group Moderator
You've got to love how the phone company charges a fee to block calls that have their ID blocked. Something that should probably be done for free.

Old 10-17-10, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
You've got to love how the phone company charges a fee to block calls that have their ID blocked. Something that should probably be done for free.
I totally agree and I have tried to block these unidentified numbers. It worked for a while and yesterday, I received 5 calls with no number! I will call the phone company and find out why ther system doesn't always work. I just hate to go through the process of talking to someone! I am trying to talk my wife into stopping the land line service, but she says our computer must have a landline. We are on Comcast High Speed and it is excellent.

Old 10-17-10, 05:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
At last!! A practical use for the foreign languages we learned in high school!!

Old 10-17-10, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Answering machine? Don't pick up often enough and you come off the list.

Old 10-17-10, 11:00 PM
Back in the olden days, before answering machines, caller ID and all the rest I would find out what the person was selling and then tell them that I sold the same thing or performed the same service, like portrait photography or whatever. They usually apologized profusely saying they have no idea of who they are calling.

I try to be pleasant to telemarketing people because I can't think of a worse job. My sister tried it a year or two ago after being out of work for more than a year and she couldn't hack it for two full weeks. I think I'd rather be a septic tank cleaner than do telemarketing.

Old 10-19-10, 07:24 AM
I donate to several charaties, and although I never provide my phone number on their reply cards, they somehow find it easy enough to interrupt my evenings! I try to politely tell them that I budget how much I'm going to give each charity and do not respond to phone solicitations, but they don't give up without a fight.

I've been tempted to spend the extra dollar a month to get an unlisted phone number. I'd be curious knowing how many people with landlines have unlisted numbers. At one time, I heard it was around a third. With everyone (except me) primarily using cell phones, calling "information" for a phone number is getting to be a thing of the past.

I'm not bothered with many political phone solicitations, since I'm registered as an "independent" voter and neither party wants to waste their time on me.

Old 10-19-10, 10:43 AM
I know where you're coming from, Beachboy. I had a wireless handset that would light up the keypad when the phone rang even if the ringer was silenced. I just happened to see it light up one time so I answered it just to see who was calling. It was a charitable organization that I highly respect but had never given the number. I asked the woman how she got the number and she told me she was just a volunteer and the organization had given her a list of numbers to call.

So it appears to me that IF a person has a landline and they don't make monthly payment to have their number unlisted (not just unpublished) the people who want your money WILL find you. Why the telcos get away with a continuing charge for something that is a single stroke issue on the computer when making the request is something that really fries me.

Old 10-19-10, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Don't forget....most of these calls are now computer generated. Thats why when you pick it up, theres often a slight delay before you connect to a person. Area codes and prefixes would be easy to program..then just add 0000, 0001, 0002, etc, etc.

And almost every charity probably puts your name into a database that you donated...all the rest figure you're an easy touch.