Illiterate hiring managers

Old 10-24-10, 04:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Illiterate hiring managers

I applied for a job at a major toy store the other day. In the application, I put down FT 40+ hrs per week. Got a call for interview yesterday. Did the interview today and was told by them it wasn't worth my time due to the fact it was less than 30 hours per week and seasonal and minimum wage due to the fact the store was 37 miles from my house. Why don't some hiring managers read the WHOLE application?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-10, 09:30 PM
It's not just hiring managers, it seems to be endemic and has been for many years.

Several years ago while I was still gainfully employed my company was pushing ride sharing via car or van pools. They had a "free" service where if you registered they would match you with other people, a minimum of ten, that were close enough that all could ride together.

I was working a relief shift at the time, Sun-Tue on 2nd shift, Wed & Thur off and 3rd shift on Fri-Sat. I did get ten match-ups, all working day shift Mon-Fri. Even after getting on a more regular shift the matches never had more than two days with mine and often would have required me to drive close to half the distance to meet up with my ride. Talk about useless.

After my divorce (a LONG time ago) I played the personals ads for a while. I would be pretty specific about my likes, dislikes and wants/desires. I would say that about 75% of the women that contacted me had at least one, if not several of the items I specifically listed as not acceptable.

Old 10-27-10, 02:00 AM
I have a couple rentals and I put in the ads, "No Pets" At least every second person asks if I would accept a pet.

Old 10-30-10, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
I have a couple rentals and I put in the ads, "No Pets" At least every second person asks if I would accept a pet.
This is an easy one. They figure it never hurts to ask.

What if you have been trying to rent it, and had no previous takers, all because they could not have a pet? They think maybe you might reconsider, especially if they sound like a good possible tenant, and make it out like their pet causes no problems.

Old 10-30-10, 03:45 PM
NE -

Maybe they looked your resume/application and the though you may be willing to go for less than 40+ if the position could apply for you in the long run.

Remember - they are the buyer and you are the seller, unless you can turn it around and and an interview can be and opportunity to do it. You can't expect them to dump every application they get, so they pick the most promising applicants. - You never know since they could also be Patriots and Sox fans.

Dick

Old 10-30-10, 11:59 PM
"What if you have been trying to rent it, and had no previous takers, all because they could not have a pet? They think maybe you might reconsider, especially if they sound like a good possible tenant, and make it out like their pet causes no problems."

Understood ecman. As a pet owner, I know my perfect pets still pee and poop in the house so I'm very reluctant to take pets. The odd time I have and so far it has cost me at least $2k in carpet replacement. But your're right, seldom hurts to ask.

Old 10-31-10, 01:35 AM
The job for something completely different than I was applying for. I applied for back room stocker, they wanted me as a cashier. Also the ad I replied to said full time.

Search this Thread