Fall officially here......

Old 11-05-10, 05:05 AM
Group Moderator
Fall officially here......

Had to put on long pants and jacket this morning; high of only 69.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-10, 05:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I remember the fla weather

When I lived/worked outside of Orlando when the temps got down to 50` or lower it was too cold to work outside. Here in tenn 40` and sun is plenty warm enough to be outside. I have yet to miss the high humity fla is cursed with

Old 11-05-10, 07:56 AM
Group Moderator
27 when I woke up this morning. Looking forward to napping in the deer stand this weekend. Highs in the 50's

Old 11-05-10, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
high of only 69
hey, that's springtime around here!
High of 55 today.

Old 11-05-10, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah....had to go find the long pants in the bottom of the dresser last week. Of course this week has been back up in the almost 80's...even turned the garage swamp cooler on for a while yesterday. The sun shining on the concrete always brings it up about 10 degrees over the outside air temp.

27? I haven't seen that in 4 yrs I don't think. Thank Gawd!

Old 11-05-10, 12:02 PM
People around here are praying for some cold and snow, but unfortunately, we are stuck between seasons and not enough to do. No snow to quiet the woods for hunting, not enough good known weather to drag out the boat for fishing. - Also no tornadoes, or thunderstorms for entertainment and the grass has stopped growing and the leaves on the lawns are gone. - Kind of boring, so the only thing to do is watch the NFL football with the boring parity.

In 6 weeks, the ice house "Mac Mansions" will be unhooked from the septic and water systems and dragged out on the ice by a cat to become a part of the up to 10,000 other people on a lake for a 3 day week-end in a heated house with refrigerator, freezer (yes), satellite TV and other creature comforts.

Dick

Old 11-05-10, 04:36 PM
I thought maybe you towed your first snowbird.

Old 11-05-10, 05:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, TG, but winter only lasts 4 days in Florida, so just hang in there. Mjd2k, we just sent the last snowbird packing to Florida last week. Finally, we can turn left on main street without getting hit. Leaf lizards are next. Leaf change will last another week.

Old 11-06-10, 06:09 AM
Group Moderator
Starting to see more Canadian license tags; haven't towed any yet. We sequestor all of them in one place so they can't get out of hand :

Maple Leaf Golf and Country Club - Port Charlotte, Florida

51 degrees this morning, high of 69 predicted.

Old 11-06-10, 06:24 AM
28 this morning...24 tonight. That'll surely get them packed up and headed south. Get ready, TG!

Old 11-06-10, 07:55 AM
About 30F this morning. - Opening of deer hunting.

I drove about 1 mile to get a coffee and fresh roll at about 7:30AM. The deer were up and moving around (I saw 5 just on a short suburban drive). Apparently, they knew it was opening day, because many have moved into the suburbs for safety. - I wonder if the deer have calenders and watches and what they will do when we switch off daylight time tomorrow morning? (LOL)

Dick

Last edited by Concretemasonry; 11-06-10 at 07:56 AM. Reason: correction
Old 11-06-10, 05:52 PM
Dick, the crows are probably telling them what's up.

If winter meant only cold, that be okay in my book. It is when it is coupled with snow that makes it seem oh so claustrophobic. Dangerous to drive. Cars will rust due to the salt. A pain to work outside, kneeling down or setting tools on the ground. Having to trudge through it, if it is deep. Having to shovel and wear yourself out even before having to actually go to work. Same for having to clear it off your car. Or having to even get up on a roof to shovel! Or the possibility of sliding OFF the roof. Medical personnel, depending on the conditions, may not be be able to get to someone in time, to save their life.

Old 11-06-10, 06:27 PM
addition

ecman -

I agree with you when you say the cold is not the problem. It is when it is warmer that the problem occur. There is no better driving than getting out on the freeway with -10F, clear skies and sun. - Sure beats the slop and problems when it is warmer.

You seem to get a lot more of the wet snow and storms than we do, but are about 90 miles west of you and the same latitude. - You seem to get the same junk that Iowa and Southern Minnesota get as it heads east and a little north. We have a brown or "green" Christmas about 1/4 to 1/3 of the time. We are just far enough away from some of the winter moisture sources (Gulf & Great Lakes).

Old 11-07-10, 05:03 AM
I wore long pants last week for the first time since spring - at least for the first time other than places my wife drags me to. I haven't put the shorts away yet, but it's not looking too good.

When I lived in Key West the temp went down to 44* one Jan. It was a record low at the time. My wife and I grew up in Northern New England and we're used to cold, but we froze our adzes off. No heat in the house and all we had on the bed were a light blanket and a sheet. We didn't even have coats to wear. A couple of days later and we were diving off Sand Key with temps in the 80s..

Old 11-07-10, 12:17 PM
The fall equinox has past. Know how I found out??? Crank up the computer, get on the forum and the time is still off by one hour. Amazing how sophisticated we can become and no one can correct a clock. I have to go in and change my settings from GMT-5 to GMT-6 for it to work.
While we sleep one night, someone will sneak into the offices, Watergate style, and make the correction. No one will take credit for it, but we'll have a parade none the less....ticker tape maybe. To the unsung hero of the forum.....DIY'er of the year!!
But it's Sunday afternoon, and nothing to do.

Old 11-07-10, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
I wore long pants last week for the first time since spring - at least for the first time other than places my wife drags me to. I haven't put the shorts away yet, but it's not looking too good.

When I lived in Key West the temp went down to 44* one Jan. It was a record low at the time. My wife and I grew up in Northern New England and we're used to cold, but we froze our adzes off. No heat in the house and all we had on the bed were a light blanket and a sheet. We didn't even have coats to wear. A couple of days later and we were diving off Sand Key with temps in the 80s..
Cold, damp, above freezing temps are absolutely horrible if you get used to southern temperatures. Horribler than anything.

Old 11-07-10, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
The time is correct for me. I didn't have to change anything. The change was automatic this time.

eta I posted at 7:13 and that's the time it's showing. I don't think the forum is the problem.

Old 11-07-10, 05:45 PM
I went back and set my settings to GMT-5 and it changed your posting time to 8:13 pm and some of the newer posts to after 9pm and it's only 8:44.
So if I change it to GMT-6 all is well. May not be the forums, but not sure what it is, since I make the changes on the forum and it corrects.
Edit: went back to my settings at GMT-6 and everything corrects itself.

Larry

"Half of communications is listening, and you can't listen with your mouth"

Old 11-07-10, 06:41 PM
Shadilady -The forum could have been reset before you checked.

My forum time has been wrong almost all day, but other forums had the correct time. Even my cheap alarm clock automatically reset the time about 5 minutes after the change was official, so a national/international forum accessed around the world should be able to be current to provide confidence.

Old 11-08-10, 04:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"May not be the forums, but not sure what it is, since I make the changes on the forum and it corrects"

I hadn't really thought about checking the time on the forums since the time change but mine seems to be correct

Maybe the forums discriminates against carpenters that live Georgia

Old 11-08-10, 02:41 PM
Marksr, what do you have your time set at in your "settings". Should be at GMT-5, right? Or do we have to change it to GMT-6 when the time changes so we will be in sync?
I definitely think it is a suthern thang.

Larry

"Half of communications is listening, and you can't listen with your mouth."

Old 11-08-10, 03:15 PM
Still not fixed unless "You have do....", which as really sad excuse for a forum that cannot understand time zone and GMT. Other forums have the right times.

When I worked internationally the people that contacted me knew my time better than the forum. - This includes people in Russia that is now down to 12 time zones.

I am not going to do a manual correction for just one forum as reminder of the user friendly attitude. Then I will see it whenever I log in.

Old 11-08-10, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Hey...how'd we go from fall is here (btw..I spoke too soon...freezing night temps expected this week) to the semi-annual DST issue?

As I always say...I never have the time issue. And...hmmm...just wondering.....those that are...how about a simple test? Put your current time in a post...just wonder how it will show up to me.

4:53PM my time....

Old 11-08-10, 04:00 PM
I don't see what the big deal is concerning the time posted on the forum. I post when I post and others post or reply when they do.

Before I "log in" it reads "All times are GMT -7" at the bottom of the page and the time is off by one hour. After I log in it changes to "All times are GMT -8" and shows the correct time. So what? I can see by the posted times on initial posts and all responses where I am in time comparison to questions and responses. I feel that since this is a free forum nobody has any right to "complain" (read that any way you wish) about timeliness of responses. There ARE forums where people pay to be a member and THOSE people do have a legitimate gripe in my opinion if they don't get usable responses in a timely fashion.

I think of this forum, and all the sub-forums as more like a bunch of people congregating at a local bar (or church if you'd rather) and discussing all kinds of different things. Add to the conversation if you like and take what information helps you while discarding that which doesn't help. It's all free and it's all friendly.

Old 11-08-10, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator
Great point Furd...I mean..the posts are all in order of submission. Anyone who needs a time sensitive answer is really making a mistake by going on the Forum "1 hr before my contractor, plumber, electrician, furnace guy (choose one) gets here".

Old 11-08-10, 04:29 PM
My time is correct and I don't care. I so don't care what time it is I took off my watch when I retired 11 years ago and haven't worn it since.

Old 11-08-10, 05:16 PM
Saw the first snow of the season this morning, got a dusting and schools in my area had a 90 minute delay. Amazing how when I was growing up in the '80s, less than an inch of snow meant normal school opening time.

Old 11-08-10, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Dick, the crows are probably telling them what's up.

If winter meant only cold, that be okay in my book. It is when it is coupled with snow that makes it seem oh so claustrophobic. Dangerous to drive. Cars will rust due to the salt. A pain to work outside, kneeling down or setting tools on the ground. Having to trudge through it, if it is deep. Having to shovel and wear yourself out even before having to actually go to work. Same for having to clear it off your car. Or having to even get up on a roof to shovel! Or the possibility of sliding OFF the roof. Medical personnel, depending on the conditions, may not be be able to get to someone in time, to save their life.
I'm the opposite. Hate cold when there is no snow. We get days where the dirt is blowing and drifting across the highway and its
-40 with killing windchill. At least the snow makes it clean and feel like winter. Then you can do some winter activities and when the sun shines, it reflects to make it bright outside. Brown gray summer-fallow fields in February are just depressing.

Old 11-08-10, 07:11 PM
mjd2 -

I know what you mean about the ugly without any snow cover for cosmetics and to reduce the effective frost depth.

Your blowing dirt is what we get after a cold front and couple of days later. The weathermen here call it "SNIRT". Fortunately the the dirt absorbs the sun's rays and increases the snow melt (if there is much) a bit.

Unfortunately it was 64F today and 60's for a few days and then a cold front. I hope we do not gets the southern moisture since that could lead to snow instead of clean cold air. the hunters are really not happy.

I find snow a nuisance and not a problem. Soon I will check out the SUVs to make sure everything still works, since they always run in 2-wheel high except for several very short periods a year.

Old 11-08-10, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
My time is correct and I don't care. I so don't care what time it is I took off my watch when I retired 11 years ago and haven't worn it since.
You and me both, brother. Except in my case it was a pocket watch with stopwatch function. I think I've only wound it once since retirement and that was because I wanted to use the stopwatch to clock my gas meter.

Old 11-09-10, 04:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Marksr, what do you have your time set at in your "settings". Should be at GMT-5, right? Or do we have to change it to GMT-6 when the time changes so we will be in sync?
I just checked and my time is set to GMT-5. Best I remember every time change in the past required changing time zone setting in order for the forums to show the correct time. I'm sure I did this back in the spring but I've done nothing with this time change and the time shown is correct.