Sunday Afternoon

Old 11-08-10, 03:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sunday Afternoon

Nowadays when you see a charger R/T, the R/T means “Real Tragedy”. Click below to see what it used to mean.

YouTube - Times Up! Racing 7sec run

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-10, 02:55 PM
I remember the days at Yellow River Dragstrip near Atlanta in the '60's. Aaaah the smell of nitro in the early evening!!

Larry

"Half of communications is listening, and you can't listen with your mouth."

Old 11-08-10, 05:39 PM
(Quote) Half of communications is listening, and you can't listen with your mouth.

That's true. You have to listen with your nose to hear the nitrous.

Chandler,

Christ all mighty!!!

Were you there that week???

Did you see this happen???

Did you realize what went wrong???

This was a nitrous burn that went bad. We had been rehearsing this stunt from 6:30 AM. All went well during the rehearsals. Now it’s show time:

She goes up.

I hit the nitrous.

Nothing.

I hit it again!!!

Nothing!!!!

She’s hanging not dropping. I say to myself “What on GOD'S earth is holding her here? It’s like the car is possessed. I’m thinking, in milliseconds but I know I’m losing the race against time. I do the only thing I can do. Power shift. She pulls the rear wheels off the ground. I felt them come off. She’s still hanging. Only now in mid air. More than half way down the track, no nitrous, no burn, and she’s up on all 4’s. How is it possible? She’s only rated at just under 674 horsepower? She finally hits ground, near the line, fairly hard, almost lost it to the left. Most of my pit crew from that day has died. Two members are still alive, and we stay in touch with each other. We still talk about that day, but as smart and great as we are, we still can’t come up with an answer. I’ll never sell her you know. I keep her in a heated barn in Lancaster PA. (My second home is there). When I talk to her, I sometimes think she's smiling at me.

Old 11-09-10, 04:15 AM
Was this Yellow River? What happened to your tach when the wheels pulled off the ground? I remember before the big races, they would allow "grudge" races. Mostly stock vehicles. Of course I'd never let my grandchildren in a car like we had back then. I mean, we built them to RUN. They were street legal. I can see it in today's market. Bring on that Lexus, boy. I don't care what puky exhaust system you have on it. Smoke.

Old 11-09-10, 01:23 PM
Yes Yellow River.
Tach???
Never run with one
Too much of a distraction

Going from 0-160 in less than 9 seconds takes physical strength, concentration and focus. Looking, glancing, or watching a tach is enough to break that concentration and focus, which could cause you to be dead. Answer to your question though….If tach was installed....And operating correctly….Should be at Zero since no ground resistance.

Old 11-09-10, 03:28 PM
Your engine had to be turning phenomenal RPMs when it ripped loose. I am assuming your foot was in it.
Yep, after each run, the aura of a cloud of fuel and nitro would wisp across the stands (heck stands, we were mostly on the ground). 6" tach with the light set about 500 below red line. I think back, and you didn't really look at the tach, you were looking for that light in your periphery. Light......shift.
You still got this sweetheart????? Amazing.

Old 11-10-10, 07:47 PM
That was pready cool.

This is something I have been working on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6UgfJavRfQ&feature=player_embedded

Old 11-11-10, 03:49 AM
WWD, why does it have a tag????

Old 11-11-10, 08:06 AM
Its a street car.
I cant use half the power, but its fun to try

Search this Thread