What Did Your New Matteress Ride (Arrive) With?

Old 11-11-10, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
What Did Your New Matteress Ride (Arrive) With?

I was watching one of those mattress commercials that talk about your mattress doubling its weight in eight years due to dust mites and dead skin. No mention of bed bugs. I guess they didn't want to gross out people too much. But I have a better imagination maybe. I got to thinking they haul off the old mattresses in the same truck as the deliver the new ones in. What stops the bed bugs from transferring in the truck to the new mattresses. Surely there are holes and rips on the new mattresses plastic wrapping large enough for bed bugs to get in. Heck, they may even set up home in the truck.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-10, 04:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I a proud to have missed that commercial. "Doubling its weight"??? Give me a break!! They surely can't be targeting an educated market. May fly on Sesame Street. It would take ten kazillion dust mites to make an ounce of weight, so unless you really live in squalor, I can't see any intelligence in their claims.
Maybe we can invent a bedbug trap to be installed on those trucks. Hey, I'd split the profits!!

Old 11-12-10, 05:15 PM
After I got thru listening to my car repair radio show that comes on from 8 - 10 am Saturday morning, I tuned into a national home repair radio show. One of the 3 hosts said the only way to really get rid of bed bugs is to get rid of the mattress. I said to myself, that he can't be serious.What if a person then bought a new mattress and then that one also got infestated?

Old 11-12-10, 05:27 PM
Up til now, no one really had problems sleeping in hotels, motels, aunt Jean's seldom used bedroom, etc. and having bedbugs. And you can bet your bippy motels have bedbugs. Only when someone raised a flag, and some Federally funded bedbug task force made it public knowledge did the American public become "concerned". Get rid of a $500 mattress, you gotta be kidding. Bugs don't win wars, people do!!

Old 11-12-10, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Oh, if only my wife would have been happy with the $500 mattress. If we get bed bugs I'm fighting the little buggers one on one. This mattress is listed in my will.

Old 11-12-10, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
I figure they can't exist on a water filled PVC bag. If I do get them in the bedding I'll just put a #10 wash tub on the barbecue and boil the bedding.

Old 11-12-10, 08:40 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I a proud to have missed that commercial. "Doubling its weight"??? Give me a break!! They surely can't be targeting an educated market. May fly on Sesame Street. It would take ten kazillion dust mites to make an ounce of weight
Well here you go. They even have cites. Replace Every 8 | Good Bye Bed Bugs and Dust Mites | Mattress Firm

Old 11-13-10, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
I hear that commercial on radio half a dozen times a day; not quite ready to pitch our king-$ize mattre$$, though.

Old 11-13-10, 05:36 AM
Like I said, an educated clientele will bash that theory. Look, my mattress weighed about 100 lbs, new (one of those 13" thick thingys with a comfort top). We've had it nearly 7 years, so it is close to weighing 200 lbs, now??? We rotate the mattress probably monthly, and to be honest, I can tell the difference between 100 lbs and 200 lbs, and it isn't close. Further, where would that mass of weight hide? Will they fall off in one inch thick slakes if I run a spatula over the mattress? If they penetrate the cover, what keeps the cover from bursting with all the added mass inside?

I clicked on the "learn more" links, and the one that stated it doubled in weight, took me to a pet mattress site. What they are hoping is you take the lead in statement as the gospel and go no further for fear of more distressing news.

It is truly a shame advertising is allowed to prey on the unsuspecting and ill informed.

Old 11-13-10, 05:37 AM
Yeah, I've heard that pitch also. What a crock. Just another ploy to sell some sucker an overpriced mattress.

Add bedbugs to the growing list of "Oh my God we're all gonna' die" media hype. Asbestos, lead, mercury, formaldehyde, PT lumber, global warming and the list keeps growing.

Larry - It's obviously been a while since you went mattress shopping. $500 might get a twin these days. We went to a mattress chain store this summer and found nothing under $1200. Remember helping the wife flip the mattress every spring? It extended the life of the mattress. Well now they've eliminated that too. Most mattresses we saw are pillow top - one sided.

Old 11-13-10, 06:19 AM
Yeah, "pillow top", that's what we have. That's why we rotate it rather than flip it. Wow, prices have gone up considerably, huh? Before that we had a waveless water bed. Had it forever. Glad it didn't get bedbugs. Can you imagine what a 750 lb water bed would do to your framing if it doubled in mass and weight due to bedbugs????
We've been thinking of getting one of those individually controlled air type mattresses because we hate our present one. Good recommendations from friends who have them.

Old 11-13-10, 12:04 PM
Group Moderator
I don't have a cite but saw another mattress company advertising a 25 year warranty. Geeze how much will that one weigh when the warranty runs out and why do they warranty for that long if according to other companies you need to change your mattress every 8-10 years. Something doesn't add up for sure.

Old 11-13-10, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
We've been thinking of getting one of those individually controlled air type mattresses because we hate our present one. Good recommendations from friends who have them.
And there are whole sites on the Internet devoted to horror stories from people who bought them. I know because I briefly considered replacing my waterbed with one. When you consider cost and the warmth on a cold winter's night nothing beats a full or 80% motion water bed.

Old 11-13-10, 01:31 PM
So bed bugs can get IN to the mattress itself, eh? You mean even the top one that does not have the cheesecloth under the framing? They fit through the fabric? What size are these things anyway? - even the eggs and babies.

Maybe someone should post a picture of one of these things so we can see the ominous little creature.

I know if a house has severe insect infestation, they have had to tent the whole house to fumigate it. If I had an expensive mattress, it get fumigated before I'd wave any white flag to a bed bug. Oddly, today I vacuumed up scores and scores of fruit flies in a disabled friend's apt.

Old 11-13-10, 02:20 PM
Bed bugs

Bed bugs are a real and growing problem. You can get rid of your mattress but that wont help! The little buggers are not only small. Paper thin until they gorge themselves on your blood. They are fast and travel quite a distance to hide until hungry again. They find you just like a mesquito does, by body heat and carbon dioxide. We have been battling them in my daughters apartment with some success for the last 2 years. We sprayed all seams and undersides of all furniture with ''ortho home defense''. Every drawer was removed, all book cases were flipped upside down. We sealed all mattresses in dustmite bags. we sprayed all perimeters of rooms. Saturated all appolstered surfaces. Steam cleaned all carpets. Sprayed or laundered all curtains. Sprayed backs of all pictures. Coated all surfaces- baseboards, inbetween mattresses, under drawers and furniture with diatomous earth. Laundered all bedding and clothing. repeated spraying and diatomous earth every 6 weeks. No one was getting bit.... until a neighbor had her apartment sprayed then they all came through the wall and reinfested my daughters apartment. Not running out of diatomous earth seems to be the best protection.That moving truck probably can spread them as well as anything you can buy new or second hand is now at risk as they spread across the country. Libraries and movie theaters are two of the newest locations to receive unexpected bug problems. Heat is affective in killing bugs and eggs. Dryers, steam cleaners and plastic bags in enclosed vehicles have been my defense in transfering them from her home to mine. We even leave our shoes on the sunny dash after a visit to heat up any hitch hikers.

Old 11-13-10, 05:30 PM
Brietlight: Welcome to the forums! I hope I don't offend you on your first rodeo ride, but how do you battle something you can't see, except with a microscope. Do they gang up and become visible so you can fight them fairly? I think in 62 years, living in the habitats I have lived in, being exposed nightly to these ostentatious dragons in miniature, I shouldn't weigh what I do. They should have gorged themselves on my body and eaten me down to nothing.
What prompted you to declare war on them? I am truly curious. Although I do have more to do in life than worry about something like bedbugs. I think someone mentioned earlier, it is a knee jerk reaction to some study group's astounding revelation on the subject, magnified to where the unsuspecting will panic and spend money to rid their environment of something we have lived with for thousands of years without adverse affects.

Old 11-14-10, 11:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Learn about bed bug mattress and box spring covers. Expensive, but if you have bedbugs you need these to trap them inside during treatment. If you don't have bedbugs but have an expensive mattress/boxsprings that you want to protect then you again need them. Kids going away to college with a nice mattress may be a good example.

The treatments are chemical and labor intensive, and not real effective, especially against re-infestation (read $$$).

Google "Potter" and "Bed bugs" and read everything that Professor Potter wrote.

Do not acquire used furniture, mattress, clothing anymore, unless you are more than sure that they are uninfested.

Old 11-14-10, 02:47 PM
Group Moderator
Old 11-14-10, 03:57 PM
chandler, full size they are about as big as an appleseed, but still flat till full of blood. They tend to bite in a series and the adults leave quarter size itchy welts usually in groups of three that itch like crazy and can last for weeks. Benedryle helps the allergic reaction. I went to battle after my daughter who has 4 children had the professional exterminators in repeated times and each time removed her 3 month old babies bassinet because of the harshness of the chemicals he used. until we noticed tiny red dots on her(baby) and discovered the newly hatched and some larger bugs with there distinctive staining(from pooping blood) in every ruffle crease on the bassinet. Grandma declared war! I think you confused bed bugs and dust mites(microscopic). My research showed that the "ortho home defense" was nontoxic to pets and children once it was dry and kills on contact. The diatomous earth is powdered fossilized shells and is added to grains and cereals to keep insects under control. It does not kill instantly but while harmless to humans it is like tiny shards of glass that penetrates the waxy covers on most bugs causing them to dehydrate and die after 3-7 days. Bed Bugs shows what i was battling and really is becoming an increasing problem in this country now that more powerful insecticides have been illegalized.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 11-14-10 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Link removed. Advertising not allowed.
Old 11-14-10, 06:04 PM
Glad you responded. OK, these sites are specifically saying "bedbugs", so if they are large enough to see, how can anyone allow them to gather in a group large enough to double the mattress weight. They would definitely make a mess.

Old 11-14-10, 07:36 PM
The commercials I have heard are saying that mattresses double in weight from dead dust mites and their droppings. Dust mites are even smaller than bedbugs which makes the claim even more BS.

I've done a lot of traveling and stayed in some real fleabag hotels. I have never seen a bedbug. Nor have I ever awakened with unexplained bites. Bedbugs exist for sure, are they more prevalent than ever, possibly, are they a widespread plague as the media insists, I doubt it.

There have been occasions where I had bites in the morning but I knew the source and that's another story anyway.

Old 11-15-10, 08:43 AM
Earlier this year I got a 10 inch queen size memory foam mattress for $400 after $100 coupon. From the prices mentioned here, it sounds like I saved a ton of cash. According to the manufacturer, this mattress is not supposed to have a foundation or be flipped, just rotated. It was 65 pounds according to the package. Have the marks on the inside of my ankles but no welts or pain from them. If it doesn't kill you, it may make you stronger.

Old 11-16-10, 05:15 AM
it is gross, i think i will have to buy a new mattress now!

Old 11-17-10, 04:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
NEsportsfan: If you have marks on ankles, or lower leg area only, it is not bedbugs. Those marks would be, or could be anywhere from head to toe.

The marks that you describe are typical of flea bites. Could also be a reaction to shoes, socks, etc. The fact that they are on the inside of your ankles leads me to believe that it is not insect related.

Old 11-17-10, 04:52 AM
Group Moderator
I wish I could somehow get my mattress on a scale. It would be interesting to write the weight and date on the tag and then weigh it again in 5 or 10 years to see if this weight gain is truth or myth.

Old 11-17-10, 05:03 PM
Speaking about tags. Do mattresses still come with those tags, that make you think the FBI is going to come after you if you tear it off?

Old 11-17-10, 09:23 PM
I suppose it could be fleas. There were uninvited mice in the house.

Old 11-30-10, 05:39 PM
I a proud to have missed that commercial. "Doubling its weight"??? Give me a break!! They surely can't be targeting an educated market. May fly on Sesame Street. It would take ten kazillion dust mites to make an ounce of weight, so unless you really live in squalor, I can't see any intelligence in their claims.
Maybe we can invent a bedbug trap to be installed on those trucks. Hey, I'd split the profits!!
We had a new mattress delivered today. The delivery guys only delivered and picked up at the ground floor. They would not carry the mattress upstairs. I had to drag the old mattress down for them to take and carry the new one up.

Guess what! The old mattress weighed twice as much as the new one!!! For a microsecond I thought that there must be some truth to the dust mite story then it hit me - the dust mite urban legend was started by the industry trade group to cover how cheaply new mattresses are built. I came to that conclusion when I realized the old box spring also weighed more.

Old 12-01-10, 04:16 AM
They may migrate to the box springs and hang out there, too, causing the weight difference. Never can tell!! The industry wouldn't mislead us, would they? They aren't government affiliated, why would they? Oops.
I'll bet that new one weighed almost as much as the old one by the time you got it up the stairs, huh?!

Old 12-13-10, 06:19 PM
You can thank the hippies and the radical environmentalists for your bedbugs. They were all but eradicated but since DDT was band bedbugs have made a comeback with a vengeance.
Friends of ours just bought all new beds and the new beds were already carrying bedbugs. After many $$$$ dollars spent on trying to get rid of them they eventually had to throw out all of the NEW beds, carpets, coats, blankets.......everything! before finally getting rid of the critters.
All tolled it cost them a whopping $10,000 to be bedbug free!

Old 12-14-10, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by Mackey View Post
You can thank the hippies and the radical environmentalists for your bedbugs. They were all but eradicated but since DDT was band bedbugs have made a comeback with a vengeance.Friends of ours just bought all new beds and the new beds were already carrying bedbugs. After many $$$$ dollars spent on trying to get rid of them they eventually had to throw out all of the NEW beds, carpets, coats, blankets.......everything! before finally getting rid of the critters.
All tolled it cost them a whopping $10,000 to be bedbug free!
I guess the same could be said about birds. They too have made a huge comeback after the banning of DDT.

Old 12-14-10, 08:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hard to believe that new and unused mattresses could have bedbugs, but these guys are always surprising our industry with their "resourcefulness". I would also suspect the delivery truck, especially if it was a rental, or if, as part of their service they remove old furniture when delivering new. Our local moving company has already talked to us about that potential. Rental vans and moving company trucks will be the next shoe to drop in this bedbug re-incarnation. I'm urging the moving/rental industry to push their trade associations to come up with policies, strategies. They may need effective disclaimers as well, otherwise they could easily get sued into treating houses for problems that they really didn't cause.

Old 12-19-10, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
I guess the same could be said about birds. They too have made a huge comeback after the banning of DDT.
That's a bunch of hooey. The DDT scare was just that, a bunch of hooey. The banning of DDT is also responsible for the return of millions of cases of malaria in the 3rd world.
So much saving the birds.

Old 12-20-10, 07:12 AM
Your malaria comment is incorrect and not based on fact.

The use of DDT was banned for use in agricultural applications. It is still used and approved as a vector control against mosquitos. However, in many areas insect strains became immune to DDT and malaria cases started to rise. Other chemicals have been developed and in many areas are more effective than DDT.