Who left the door open?

Old 12-13-10, 11:37 AM
Ray -

It is certainly different when you grow up in the northern upper peninsula of Michigan where many homes just let the snow pile up against an infrequently used door. I always got a kick out of the canopies put up over the sidewalks to the street, to eliminate the snow shoveling. - It was sort of going through a tunnel and much easier. Fortunately the snow is light and it can snow when the sky appears clear and blue. - We had less snow than Marquette (100 to 200" inches a year), so it was never a problem and it was always a contest get the driveway and sidewalk blown clean and the go onto the next neighbors home.

I lived in the northern lower peninsula for 7 years and the plows were never used in our town for just a few inches of "lake effect" snow because cars moving blew most of it away.

Now in Minnesota (MSP), we usually have the friendly dry, cold snow except for the infrequent southern moisture that intrudes and dumps the troublesome slop down. We just had about 20" yesterday and the day before or so and the pancake house was full at 8:00 AM when we only had about 7" of fluff. - The the southern moisture came and changed everything. SE and east of us in Wisconsin got the bad stuff as usual

Dick

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-10, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
Small world, Ray; my Dad was born in Ishpeming and I have relatives in Arkansas.

Old 12-13-10, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
Just ta make ya'll feel worse......70 outside, sunny...garage with the door open is already up to 76.....

But my cat died earlier..so not really enjoying it so much.

Sorry...had to tell somebody....

Old 12-13-10, 01:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I lived/worked a few yrs near Fort Smith Arkansas, it didn't take more than 1" of snow to shut the whole town down

Here in tenn, the county school schedule depends mainly on the condition of the back roads, if their clear - they go to school, if not - our grandson grins

We've not got much additional snow today but they're forecasting 2-4" for tonight. I wouldn't care so much but most of my driveway is on the north side of the hill

Old 12-13-10, 02:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sorry to hear about your cat, Vic. It's tough when they have had you for so many years.

Old 12-13-10, 03:23 PM
Sorry to hear about your cat dying. It is a painful process.

I was reading "The Week" magazine. They mentioned that a good chunk of England is immobilized because of a few inches of snow because it snows so rarely there, they didn't want to pay for snowplows. That decision is costing them $2 billion per day.

Old 12-13-10, 04:40 PM
I can appreciate the loss of a pet. We spent about $2000 (more including travel/hotels to the Michigan State Veterinary Hospital) for thyroid surgery/medication on a cat and lost a friend about 2 months after the treatment. Now our cats are strict house cats and do not have to put up with the weather. - My wife and the cat had thyroid problems within months, so I wonder if it is contagious or inherited?

I saw something interesting today - It was a very large snow melter/water disposal. It will take all the snow dumped into it, melt it and pump it down a storm sewer for disposal. It takes energy to melt, but eliminates the trucking/traffic and disposal of the frozen snow and is supposedly 1/2 the cost of plowing, trucking and disposal. Should be good for big snows, especially when used the the application of chemicals (not salt) prior to the snow especially in a cold climate.

Even though it is -4F now and will be about -15F tonight, Mother Nature and the sun do a great job of providing a bare pavement quickly because of the clear skies here after a snow front.

Dick

Old 12-13-10, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post

I saw something interesting today - It was a very large snow melter/water disposal. It will take all the snow dumped into it, melt it and pump it down a storm sewer for disposal. It takes energy to melt, but eliminates the trucking/traffic and disposal of the frozen snow and is supposedly 1/2 the cost of plowing, trucking and disposal. Should be good for big snows, especially when used the the application of chemicals (not salt) prior to the snow especially in a cold climate. Dick
Dick, those propane burner ice melters have been in use for quite a while. I saw them in use in Newark at the airport back in '93. Burners throw flame under a grate where the snow is loaded via front end loader. It melts as fast as they can load it. It is usually set over a storm drain right into the Hudson River, along with all the Deicing fluids, etc. Do they eat those fish??
Pittsburgh had the right idea on deicing....as the plane entered #1 position it went over an indented area where it was deiced. All the deicing fluid was captured and recycled. None went into the atmosphere to pollute.
Oh, yeah, Atlanta chose to minimize their snow equipment. Heck we just used to shut down the town if a bad cloud went over

Old 12-14-10, 02:34 AM
I am surprised flamethrowers are not more available. I imagine quite a few people would use them for desnowing a driveway, also it would come in handy if the car got stuck in snow as long as you were careful in using it.

Old 12-14-10, 05:02 AM
I've got a propane "flame thrower" if you will. I understand it's original use was to burn the grass on driveway edges and fence lines. Hadn't thought of using it for snow removal. I'd burn something important, I'm sure if I used it for that. Not a good idea for a stuck car, since your fuel tank is only 3' from the flame, and the vent is closer.

Old 12-14-10, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Sorry to hear about your cat, Vic. That's an awful feeling.

It's a balmy 25 right now. And icy wind on top of that.

Old 12-14-10, 09:38 PM
Gunguy, even Douglas (or "Inspector" Douglas as NJ Trooper calls him) is sad for your loss.

Old 12-15-10, 04:23 AM
So is Catherine.......................

Old 12-15-10, 04:48 AM
Group Moderator
Nugget feels for your loss as well.

Old 12-15-10, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks all..here's a picture of our super smart girl..she (and we) appreciate the responses[IMG][/IMG].

Old 12-16-10, 12:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
The one at the Mason-Dixon line. Jeez, it's 38 out this morning!
I don't care who left it open, but can't somebody shut it! or is it too late

It's been raining since about 7am but the temp is still about 30 degrees. The rain hasn't made a dent in the snow I spent close to 2 hours going to the mailbox and back clearing tree limbs along the way I don't have enough fingers and toes to count that high but I've probably got 100 trees with damage from the freezing rain including a 20- 25' tall birch outside of the kitchen window that's bent over with the top on the ground

Old 12-16-10, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
May I suggest that ya'll move out here to the mid-desert? Though we have clouds and some rain today...I never have to shovel snow, rake leaves (pine needles, yes), mow grass or any of those things.

Oh...and our personal freedoms are pretty good too.

Old 12-16-10, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator
May I suggest that ya'll move out here to the mid-desert?
If I could, I sure would! It's snowing right now. YUK!

Old 12-16-10, 01:39 PM
Isn't it funny that snow is a 4 letter word in more than one way?

Old 12-16-10, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
May I suggest that ya'll move out here to the mid-desert? Though we have clouds and some rain today...I never have to shovel snow, rake leaves (pine needles, yes), mow grass or any of those things.

Oh...and our personal freedoms are pretty good too.
Gunguy, I am headed to phoenix in 2 weeks!!!! Plan so far is to spend 2 months there but kinda hard to run a one-man-business from down there. I'm not a maniac gun-guy, don't even hunt anymore, but I have this idea that I'd like to buy a revolver down there to do some plinking out in the desert. Just sounds like a fun thing to do. Maybe I can't but I'm going to check it out.

Old 12-16-10, 04:13 PM
Vic - Sorry to hear about your cat. My wife had a Siamese for nearly 20 years. We tolerated each other but that was about it. I am not a cat person. When it came time to have it put down my wife could not bear to take it to the vet so I did. I held her as she passed. I was really surprised how emotionally invested I had become.

As for Arizona, we were in Scottsdale last March for a week of warmth, sunshine and golf. The sun shone for 1 day and it rained (downpour) the rest of the time. Only one round of golf, an unused pool and lots of drives in the green, lush, blossoming desert.

I was not impressed with the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. I did like Sedona although it was mixed rain and snow the day we were there.