Who left the door open?

Old 12-07-10, 04:09 AM
Group Moderator
Who left the door open?

The one at the Mason-Dixon line. Jeez, it's 38 out this morning!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-10, 04:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
15 degrees here it is supposed to get up to 38 later in the week

Old 12-07-10, 04:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Looks like you got some snow, too. Looked as if Maryville and Gatlinburg, etc. were getting a swirl of action on Sunday. We're at 17, with prospects of two more nights of it. Hey, TG, the Mason Dixon line is in Pennsylvania. I always thought it was I-20 Hey, it should make the snowbirds move down the Tamiami Trail and vacate Sarasota for a few days, or at least until the temperature rises a bit!

Old 12-07-10, 05:22 AM
Group Moderator
We got 2+ inches of snow Saturday (perfect timing since we were decorating the tree) and it was 22f at my house theis morning and the pond is starting to ice. They are calling for 14 tonight with gusts to 30mph giving us a wind chill of 5f. The last time I checked North Carolina was still in the south (where it's supposed to be warmish). Costa Rica is sounding better and better.

Old 12-07-10, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator
31 right now, and the high is only going to be 34 today! Not expecting any snow tho.

Old 12-07-10, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Jeez, would you guys knock it off...yer making me cold.

36 when I got up...27 right now (why does it get colder as the sun comes up??) but we'll be around 68 and sunny later...so it will feel like the mid-70's (leisure suits and disco..ya know?)

Old 12-07-10, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
The one at the Mason-Dixon line. Jeez, it's 38 out this morning!
I did. Yesterday the FedEx guy dropped off a package just as I was leaving the house. When I got back an hour later the front door was wide open and the temp in the house was 51*.

Today 22* at 7 AM. No snow yet this year.

Old 12-07-10, 09:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The suns out, it's warmed up to 21 degrees not to bad if you stay out of the wind. We still have snow from the weekend, none has melted but a lot of it has blown away.

If Vic will ship us some of that warm weather I promise not to leave the door open like Wayne

Old 12-07-10, 09:44 AM
It was 25 when I went to bed around 6 am now it is 34.

BTW Wayne, I am not your Fedex guy, I just unload the trailers LOL. The other day it was kinda strange to find 4 brake pads on the floor of the trailer without a box.

Old 12-07-10, 11:10 AM
I think you guys are spoiled.

It's been a pretty warm fall so far up here, only got down to 0.7 F last night. I hear next week will be much colder.

Old 12-07-10, 11:57 AM
53 degrees and dry here, good day to work in the yard.

Old 12-07-10, 03:50 PM
I lived on the "wet side" for a couple of years. "Rains all the time" is a ruse to keep folks from California from moving in.

Actually, I wasn't on the wet, "wet side", more like the dry side of the wet, wet side. The wet, wet side is too wet for me.

Good steelhead fishing though.

Old 12-07-10, 05:02 PM
After seeing the weather forecast showing colder temperatures for the rest of the week, I ma glad I changed my oil today. Kinda cold for it but at least it wasn't snowing.

Old 12-08-10, 01:05 AM
-4 F as I write this. Not too bad. I always think we're so cold up here but you US folks get colder than I thought. I think its easier up here for us to handle cold as we are set up for cold. Our cars plug in, we have energy effecient homes, we all have clothes that work in -30F. I have a heater in my garage but don't use it unless I"m out there working. If we get up to 32f before spring, we call it a chinook!

Old 12-08-10, 04:08 AM
Better buy all the fresh fruit you can and process it (can or freeze). Floriduh just go hit with a good freeze, meaning the prices of fresh fruit will be skyrocketing. Not to mention they will probably embargo it for a few weeks, making the delay run prices up.

Old 12-08-10, 04:03 PM
I am kinda surprised no one in the US has tried to sue Canada yet for the Arctic blasts that come here. There have been dumber lawsuits in this country. Luckily I don't need a coat yet, my lined flannel shirt works for now.

Old 12-09-10, 06:20 AM
12* this AM. We put the mattress heater on the bed last night and I put my shorts and golf clubs away for the season .

Old 12-09-10, 03:38 PM
Supposed to be single digits tonight in CT, but 50's on the weekend. Go figure!

Old 12-09-10, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
Throw them in the trunk and drive on down, Wayne!

Old 12-11-10, 03:29 PM
Somebody left the weather door open after about 20 years!!!

We finally got a decent winter storm that started about midnight yesterday with a light snow.

This morning we finally got about 6" of cold, dry snow by 8:00 AM (23F). My wife and I went out to a local restaurant (Perkins), but had to wait a few minutes for a table. After getting home, I ran up to the Walgreens and saw the 12 pump station full with people filling gas tanks (snowmobilers obviously heading out of town). We have 2 4WD SUVs, so don't worry and don't plan to venture to far and just hibernate. The supermarkets were full with people stocking up for the traditional "blizzard parties". It was great to see all the birds at the feeders and watch Mother Nature to do her thing. Snow-shoers and cross-country skiers were everywhere and walkers were a hazzard.

The snow continued through the day and by 5:00 PM we had about 16"-20" and another 1" or 2" to go, but the wind is coming up and the temperature will be down to -4F by morning with a -25F windchill. At least the paper will be there tomorrow morning. The visibility will be poor because the dry snow will blow off roofs, accumulate elsewhere and leave some areas almost bare. I may even get a chance to see if my 2 stage furnace kicks into the second stage under normal design conditions.

It is not as bad as the weathermen talk about because it is the light snow and not the wet stuff. Two weeks ago we had a freezing drizzle that was much worse since it took 3 hours to go 20 miles through town in a 4WD. A storm like today's is very predictable and you can easy plan your schedule. - Ice fishing tomorrow possibly.

Dick

Old 12-11-10, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
Somebody left the weather door open after about 20 years!!!

We finally got a decent winter storm that started about midnight yesterday with a light snow.

This morning we finally got about 6" of cold, dry snow by 8:00 AM (23F). My wife and I went out to a local restaurant (Perkins), but had to wait a few minutes for a table. After getting home, I ran up to the Walgreens and saw the 12 pump station full with people filling gas tanks (snowmobilers obviously heading out of town). We have 2 4WD SUVs, so don't worry and don't plan to venture to far and just hibernate. The supermarkets were full with people stocking up for the traditional "blizzard parties". It was great to see all the birds at the feeders and watch Mother Nature to do her thing. Snow-shoers and cross-country skiers were everywhere and walkers were a hazzard.

The snow continued through the day and by 5:00 PM we had about 16"-20" and another 1" or 2" to go, but the wind is coming up and the temperature will be down to -4F by morning with a -25F windchill. At least the paper will be there tomorrow morning. The visibility will be poor because the dry snow will blow off roofs, accumulate elsewhere and leave some areas almost bare. I may even get a chance to see if my 2 stage furnace kicks into the second stage under normal design conditions.

It is not as bad as the weathermen talk about because it is the light snow and not the wet stuff. Two weeks ago we had a freezing drizzle that was much worse since it took 3 hours to go 20 miles through town in a 4WD. A storm like today's is very predictable and you can easy plan your schedule. - Ice fishing tomorrow possibly.

Dick
I reaalllly miss ice fishing. I grew up on Lake Champlain and some of my earliest memories are of my dad dragging me out to the shanty on a sled. Grilled ham and cheese sandwiches on the kerosene heater, a gunny sack full of deep water yellow perch and a half dozen or more walleye. I tend not to remember freezing my arse, cutting 20 or more holes in 3' ice, falling through the ice a couple of times and having to hunt for a safe way back to shore in the spring.

Now I live in CT and all they have are a few pickerel and some plastic trout.

Old 12-11-10, 05:47 PM
"...by 5:00 PM we had about 16"-20"..."

My son just called after driving ambulance down there from 6 to 6 today...interesting shift. They almost got stuck 3 times but managed to keep her going.

Hate to say it but north of Duluth we have maybe a foot on the ground. Looking like the teens below zero for a couple days.

Old 12-11-10, 05:53 PM
Ice fishing tomorrow possibly.
You should invite the Tow Guy up. Make sure you tell him to wear his 'long pants'.

Old 12-11-10, 07:14 PM
Baldwin, don't laugh. When I worked for the airlines, I had to bring a crew from Orlando to Chicago in winter '93. -65 wind chill factor. I told them to be "in Uniform" when they arrived. They were.......Orlando issue. Shorts and collared tee shirts.
Had to buy them clothes so they could leave the terminal. None of them had been further away from home than Daytona in their lives.

Old 12-11-10, 07:24 PM
This will be a drag out the sled routine, because we did have a bit of snow cover that slowed down the ice freezing to enough thickness to support something significant. - Pop-up tent, auger and a heater routine.

The bigger ice houses (8' to 10' by 10' to 24') are still on shore with the satellite TVs, generators, refrigerators and freezers ready to go and join the other several thousand to create a winter city.

Chandler - There is always a culture/climate shock when people move around. I had a group of Russian engineer/construction visitors and we thought it would be good to go swimming in Lake Huron. I immediately had to run to Walmart to buy bathing suits because they were not traditional in some Russian beaches.

Dick

Old 12-11-10, 08:09 PM
Group Moderator
12" of snow today here. (well..0" here and 24" there. Wind is blowing it around) Highs in the single digits Sunday. Should be fun to plow with the tractor.

Old 12-11-10, 09:22 PM
Temperatures in the forties and fifties here with moderate to high winds and heavy rain. Snow level 7,000 feet.

Old 12-11-10, 10:06 PM
Getting about 28 hours of rain later today and tonight.

Old 12-11-10, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator
Silly post... We all now what the weather will be. Watch the local news. Duh.......This is a waste of time...

But thats just me.

Oh god going to rain tomorrow>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......... Tissues

Silly people

Mike NJ

Old 12-12-10, 02:27 AM
Most of the posts in this category are silly, nothing wrong with being silly once in a while.

As for the rain, I like rain. Rain is the greatest excuse ever made for not working outside. If I didn't like rain I wouldn't live where I do.

Old 12-12-10, 04:09 AM
Mike, there are other parts of the forum you can visit, if you don't like our bantering back and forth. Either join in or not. But let us have our community get together without berating us. This is our gathering place, if you will.

Larry

"Half of communications is listening, and you can't listen with your mouth."

Old 12-12-10, 03:57 PM
Group Moderator
It's raining today; geez, if you're going to predict my weather at least get it right!

Had a little work to do on wife's car today and the rain literally started as I was stowing my tool box after finishing.

Old 12-12-10, 05:27 PM
It was below freezing when it started to rain here. Sure was fun almost falling on my butt twice at 4 am to get the newspaper at the end of the driveway.

Old 12-12-10, 06:05 PM
Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around -22. Wind chill values between -25 and -35. North wind around 5 mph.

Geezz....and it isn't even winter yet. I best take the out to pee.

Old 12-12-10, 08:39 PM
It is +55 here now. Kinda funny for December

Old 12-13-10, 12:37 AM
another couple weeks until I get to experience those warm Phoenix nights. Gonna need a straight jacket to get me to come back up here. Actually kinda balmy right now, only -2f but forecasting -19 F over the next week. Thats chilly but most of you know all about that. I still think we Canucks should have cold weather bragging rights but you dudes just keep posting the same low temps.

Old 12-13-10, 12:42 AM
Hey Mike, try to have a conversation that doesn't touch on weather at some point. It is silly, really silly but .....

Old 12-13-10, 04:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Almost all our snow from last weekend was gone by yesterday afternoon but....... it started snowing again, 3" on the ground now and another 3" expected for today. Looking at the 7 day forecast, it appears the snow will stay awhile

Old 12-13-10, 06:55 AM
3" of snow last night. High 22, low tonight 7, so I guess it will stay until midweek, anyway. Had a dental appointment this morning....aw shucks, can't make it in because of the snow, maybe later....much later. First above freezing day is Wednesday at 37, but predicting rain/ice, so here we go again.

Old 12-13-10, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
My father grew up in Marquette Michigan late 19th early 20th century. Later lived in Chicago for many years.

When I was 7 he retired and and we moved to Little Rock, Ark. Third day we were there they had one of their rare light snow falls. An inch or two at most. They closed the schools. Dad was looking out the window asking why, pointing out, "The snow isn't over the kids' heads yet". That was the rule when he was growing up. If it isn't over their head you send them to school.