Bib overalls or the full overalls

Old 12-07-10, 10:38 AM
Bib overalls or the full overalls

I gave my wife a christmas idea for me. I wanted some Carhartt overalls. I told her I would like the bib overalls with a jacket. Being that I have never owned a pair so far she questioned my decision as to bibs verses the full body type and asked why I wanted the bibs.

The only reason i could give her is it is what I prefered. I have searched and searched the net and could not find a pros/cons for either so I figured i would post it here and get so opinions.

What are the advantages and disadvantages to either or? My intentions are to use them around the house in the winter to snowblow, work in the garage, and misc. winter activities.

Your help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-10, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Well, been a while since I wore them...but I'd do the bib type w/ jacket. Consider...you go out to do something..then have to go back inside for a while. Easy to just take off a jacket and hang it up to prevent overheating and sweating. Not so with full body. It's all about layers.
If you KNEW you would be outside for 4,6,8 hours continuous...then maybe the full would be better.

When my Dad got older he wore almost nothing but denim bib overalls and an appropriate t-shirt/flannel shirt/jacket depending on conditions.

Old 12-07-10, 12:26 PM
Bib overalls are much better suited to "middle age spread" than are coveralls. Coveralls are better than bib overalls if you are going to be rolling on the ground or where you want to completely cover your sides and back. Bib overalls are easier to deal with when nature calls.

Old 12-07-10, 01:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I assume we're talking insulated overalls. I've always worn the coveralls. While I've never worn the insulated bibs, I'd expect them to be drafty depending on the work you are doing although Vic makes a good point if you are going in and out of a well heated room. I don't normally come in for long so just unzipping them works good for me.

Old 12-07-10, 03:53 PM
I used to wear them ice fishing and cutting wood. I liked having a jacket I could remove when I was working up a sweat. The bibs got tossed a few years ago, but the jacket is hanging in the garage and I still use it.

Old 12-07-10, 05:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't know....I'll ask Mike Holmes and let you know.

Old 12-07-10, 10:12 PM
Bib are the only way to go. I have insulated that I use for just about everything, including snow blowing all winter. Many years ago I was a lineman climbing poles in the winter. I started with full body and switched to bibs. Never go back.
- Easier on/off.
- Virtually any option for a coat
- You get too hot, you take the coat off.
- Go to a coffee shop, take the coat off.
- You can actually move with bibs
- I get 5000lb loads of material that I need to unload and put away in 40 below weather. They are warm enough for sure but when I work up a sweat, I can start stripping off layers.

Old 12-08-10, 06:48 AM
I too prefer the bibs with a coat/jacket. Much more flexibility.

Old 12-10-10, 04:52 AM
Thanks for all the replys. I can now show her them and hopefully she now understands why I want the bibs.

Thanks again

Old 12-10-10, 07:03 AM
Group Moderator
I'm a little late but I say bibs all the way! Better movement, and they keep you warmer because you have a double layer around your internal organs.

Old 12-10-10, 08:55 AM
Group Moderator
I prefer bibs for the fit - I have short legs and a long trunk and coveralls tend to be a little short in the trunk for me, which equates to too tight in the crotch

Old 01-07-11, 08:20 PM
Bibs!

Bibs, of course!!! They are so much warmer!

Old 01-08-11, 05:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I still think that full coveralls have to be warmer! All it leaves exposed is your head, hands and feet. I've never worn insulated bibs but it would seem to me that full coveralls would give better protection from the wind, thus being warmer.

Mitch does make a good point about the fit. I got a new pair for Christmas [I picked them out] Since my chest/belly is bigger than it used to be, I had to go up 1 size. To make the legs work, I had to change from tall to regular. While the extra space below my crotch isn't a problem - it feels a little strange.

btw - welcome to the forums dyllantodd!

Old 01-08-11, 05:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I was at a western store yesterday and they had all their Carhartt stuff on 20% off. I started to get some bibs to try them out. I resisted. May go back over later in the winter and see if they go to 30% off