Is it the economy?? (Uninsured Drivers)

Old 12-13-10, 01:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it the economy?? (Uninsured Drivers)

Why are there so many uninsured drivers on the road? or are my kids just a magnet for them?

2 yrs ago my youngest son had his car totaled by an uninsured driver, the car that replaced it was totaled 2 months ago - again an uninsured driver My oldest son called me while on his way to work, he got hit by an uninsured driver in the parking lot where he lives A girl entered the parking lot too fast, bounced off of 2 parked cars, hit him [walking] and thru him up in the air hard enough to crack her windshield when he landed on it. He claims he's ok but I'll check back with him tomorrow afternoon and see if he's still ok.

I know tenn was one of the last states to require insurance on motor vehicles but even so, it's been the law here for 10-15 yrs. What's with uninsured drivers? thank God for uninsured motorist coverage for those of us who have insurance!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-10, 01:13 PM
Group Moderator
I live and work in the MN/WI area and it's funny to me that MN requires insurance while WI does not but WI maintains a higher % of drivers on the road carrrying insurance.

I upped my policy limits a few years ago after a patient of mine won a settlement in the neighborhood of a quarter million dollars - other driver was underinsured, carrying only $30 K liability but my patient only had $100 K liability, so she could not collect the whole settlement, since the limits on under/uninsured insurance equal your liability limits.

Old 12-13-10, 06:00 PM
There is no excuse for uninsured drivers but the insurance lobbyists keep allowing the insurance companies to keep raising rates forcing many motorists to drive without it. This is still a lame excuse but a reality especially in large urban areas.

Old 12-13-10, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
I'm sure Obama will fix it so everybody is required to have car insurance as well

What happens to the uninsured? Did they get arrested or fined?

Old 12-14-10, 02:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Amazing how much you can save by shopping around for car insurance. I had the Lizard for 6 years and they wanted $320 for a 6 month renewal. I did a little shopping and now am paying $150 for the same policy on the same vehicle. I somehow got a homeowner discount with the new company (not sure how) even after telling them I am not a homeowner. It should drop even further since a speeding ticket from 12/07 will be dropped when my policy renews in March.

Old 12-14-10, 03:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
What happens to the uninsured? Did they get arrested or fined?
I think they just get a ticket, maybe have their license suspended until they get insurance.

Old 12-14-10, 04:57 AM
That just leaves uninsured, and now, unlicensed drivers out there to do more damage. And the gummint doesn't have enough people to enforce it.

Old 12-14-10, 04:25 PM
In CT it is an automatic court date. I forgot to put a current insurance card in the car and got pulled over three days after the renewal. I got a $35 fine for failure to carry the card. Not sure what it would be if it actually lapsed.

Old 12-14-10, 04:53 PM
We don't have to carry our cards any more, although the insurance company furnishes them. In Georgia, the current insurance status shows up when the officer runs your license and tag number. No insurance, no tag, no drive.

Old 12-15-10, 04:18 AM
Group Moderator
Probably pretty common. I know there's plenty of expired tags being driven around down here PLUS there are way too many out of state registered and tagged vehicles still being driven long after the owner was required by law to register in Florida. Did a jumpstart yesterday and it was a hard starter. Having noticed the Michigan tag, and thinking there could be a relationship, I inquired as to whether he had recently arrived, assuming he was a snowbird. He casually replied, "No, we've been here about two years".

But at least he was probably insured.

Old 12-15-10, 06:43 AM
You can't put all the blame for insurance premiums on the insurance provider. It needs to be spread around among the legal and medical profession, and throw in the cost of auto repair for good measure.

Add to that the idiots driving, like a woman striking a pedestrian while entering a parking lot. Last week we had 4 teenagers killed in an accident. The 16 y/o driver was unlicensed. He had a learner's permit. The police said they were doing 90 mph on a winding country road posted at 30 mph.

Old 12-15-10, 07:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, while I doubt I'd ever drive without insurance, you'd think if you were driving uninsured, you'd be extra careful........... but then I guess those that do, have nothing to lose.

Old 01-07-11, 08:17 PM
accountability

I have a hard time understanding why these uninsured drivers are not being held accountable...

Old 01-08-11, 04:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I'm sure if I got caught driving without a license or insurance - they'd throw the book at me but many of the deadbeats seem to just get a slap on the wrist. Both of the drivers that totaled out my youngest son's 2 cars were given tickets - I don't know where it went from there. The girl that hit my oldest son [as a pedestrian] was taken to jail...... but I think she also had outstanding warrants.

Slightly off topic - I've worked with or known quite a few DUI offenders. They get arrested, go to jail and lose their driver's license...... but the majority of them still drive

Old 01-08-11, 06:46 AM
I have had one accident in nearly 50 years of driving. I hit a guy backing out of a driveway. His side windows were covered with frost and snow that he was too lazy to remove and he didn't see me coming. He was unlicensed and uninsured. My wife's new car crumbled like a used tissue and his hoopdie had a small dent in a passenger door.

My insurance company tried to recover from him but finally gave up. I treid to get the guy to pay my deductible and his literal response to me was "f*** you I ain't paying you s***".

I talked to the cops and they said it was a civil matter. He was ticketed and payed the small fine. The guy continued to drive until a year or so later when he was busted for a drug deal and sent to jail. I'm sure he's out now and driving around unlicensed and uninsured.

I don't think the problem can be fixed and that's one of the reasons why responsible people pay higher premiums.

Old 01-08-11, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
I have a hard time understanding why these uninsured drivers are not being held accountable...
guess it depends where you live. Where I live, they take your car away, and they don't get it back unless they get insurance PLUS they have to pay the storage fee, which is very substantial. And of course, they get a court date.

Old 01-08-11, 10:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, when I lived in fla, they repo'd your car tag if they found out you didn't have insurance [or get new ins within so many days] I think you also had to have proof of insurance to buy a tag. Here in tenn, while insurance is mandatory, they only check when you get pulled over

I don't see why proving you have insurance before buying a tag would not be cost efficient..... but I'm one of the guys that tries to be responsible and abide by the rules.

Old 01-17-11, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
You can't put all the blame for insurance premiums on the insurance provider. It needs to be spread around among the legal and medical profession, and throw in the cost of auto repair for good measure.

Add to that the idiots driving, like a woman striking a pedestrian while entering a parking lot. Last week we had 4 teenagers killed in an accident. The 16 y/o driver was unlicensed. He had a learner's permit. The police said they were doing 90 mph on a winding country road posted at 30 mph.
Like this incident here in Michigan im sure you heard where this car full of teens sped around a white suv right into the path of a speeding amtrak train killing all five teens in the car. The driver had his license taken away the day before the accident. there's a video of the locomotive dash cam footage on youtube.

YouTube - Amtrak train - car collision footage - cab view (read description!!)