Big Box products

Old 12-27-10, 11:05 AM
Big Box products

I just read a post in another forum that stated that products, in this case a toilet, purchased from a home improvement store are inferior to the products purchased from a plumbing supply. I'm assuming the poster meant the identical product or a similar price range.

Does anyone believe this to be true?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-10, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Yes, this is true. I wrote about this a while back. Companies make products just for the Big Box stores, that are not up to par with products bought elsewhere.

Old 12-27-10, 01:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
They usually aren't identical products. The model # will have a slight variance in the number. IMO it's to trick the diyer into thinking he's getting a good deal but in reality he's getting an inferior product. If the model # is exactly the same - then it would be a better deal.

Old 12-27-10, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
Yes I posted that in another forum. A good example of this is a moen faucet. At a home store a moen kitchen faucet might be $80. If you go to a sullpy house and buy the same faucet it will be about $200-$300.

Whats the difference. The one at the home store is not a real Moen. The cartridge is plastic. The supply house cartridges are usually brass and last longer. If you put them side by side and lifted them the home store is made of chrome tin that dont last and really thin walled brass. The supply house moen weighs a ton. Home store moen made overseas for home stores. Cheaper parts, labor, material. Real moen made in USA. Same goes for other products.

Mike NJ

Old 12-27-10, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
If the model number and UPC is the same..(including any xxx-A, xxx-c, etc) then they are the same product. A company is not going to set-up an entire production line just for HD or Lowes. How would they ever be able to track items for inventory or recalls if they were different, but with the same number? Some things like tools may have a different number just because the eliminate a few accessories.

I also think this normally applies to low-end items.

Old 12-27-10, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Same looking product but part # is different. Proprietary for the home store on products made over seas with the Moen name. Just look on the Moen box in the home store. It says made in Mexico or China if I am not mistaken. Do you really think the home stores are going to sell a $300 faucet for $80 if it was the same? I dont think they are about losing money.

Mike NJ

Old 12-27-10, 02:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, you need to look close because the product and it's packaging may appear to be the same. The difference in part # is usually subtle - fictitious examples; original item #12345, cheaper cousin #12345a or #12345 versus #12355

Old 12-28-10, 06:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Most of the arguments have value, IMO, but Mike, the converse can be true as well. Why would a plumbing supply house sell an identical item ($80 at home store) for $300 in their store? Can you spell usurous profit margin on the unfounded premise that the home store product is somehow inferior, when it is the identical product? I have followed clients to supply houses to pick up items they have chosen for installation, whether it be plumbing or electrical, and invariably the products' prices are well overstated, and they are swooned by the "Supply house" misnomer that they are getting a better deal. "Inventory reduction" sales get me, and they fall for it every time.
That is not to say some products are intentionally made overseas with cheap labor and cheaper materials to save a buck, but talk "identical" items and it's a different ball game.
Don't get me wrong, you won't find Hans Grohe at Home Depot. Just their tub knobs weigh a pound each.....440 stainless billets! Too high priced an item for HD.

Old 12-28-10, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Don't get me wrong, you won't find Hans Grohe at Home Depot. Just their tub knobs weigh a pound each.....440 stainless billets! Too high priced an item for HD.
LOL thats funny. Yeah things change and I guess the supply houses are cutting back too and getting cheaper products. What most plumbers are doing now is using brands they can only get. Like Premier Brand.(Taiwan) Then when there a problem the have to call the plumber. Plumber in the house = more sales. This is why I got out of the industry. Too many using bait and switch techniques and ripping the homeowners off. I just cant do it. I guess I have a conscience.

Mike NJ

Old 12-28-10, 02:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I had an upper end bath gut/remodel which included new fixtures, eliminating a neo shower to a former closet (bigger and tiled) with all that Hans Grohe stuff. Great to install...BUT the kicker was, prompt courteous problem solving and replacement parts (bummed up an o ring) New part was there in 2 days. I guess if you pay $1500 for a shower set up you get the accommodating service.
I find, builders, too have gone over the deep end in supplying crap to new homes. You got a shower, but you got the lowest of low parts. Deal signed, it's yours.