Anyone else missing birds?

Old 01-11-11, 10:01 AM
Anyone else missing birds?

We've been ground feeding the local birds for the last 20+ years. We feed when the ground is covered with snow or when temps are very low. Usually we have dozens of birds feeding daily sometimes as many as 5-6 different species at the same time.

This year we've had snow on the ground for about 3 weeks. We have had one lone cardinal show up in that time. I puit the seed out in the AM and the deer eat it at night. No birds.

Incidentally, we have 10" on the ground and a forecast for 12"-18" more tonight. I hope my plow guy shows up. Snow sux.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-11, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Im not missing any. 3 people flipped me the bird yesterday while driving..........LOL

No seriously i have heard flocks of Canadian geese flying over head going south. Also there have be several flocks hanging in the trees. Flying south I would say and stopping for a rest. They come and go.

But of course with the bad weather coming, there aint a bird in the sky. The non migrating birds are out there. Probably huddled in bushes or evergreens.

Mike NJ

Old 01-11-11, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
I've noticed fewer birds than usual this winter. I think because of the snow & colder than normal weather they headed further south. Normally we have a huge problem with geese but because most of the ponds are frozen over they have no safe place to spend the night. The coyotes had a feast early in December when the ponds first froze but most of the geese have left by now.

Old 01-11-11, 02:24 PM
During a week long cold spell (only down to -6F) some species became rare, while others went about their daily feeding.

Today, with 26F high and sun continuing clear skies, there was a fight at the 4 seed feeders and more birds (Finches, chickadees, cardinals, etc) lurking the evergreen and shrubs. The wood peckers never did leave/hide and have been there steadily at the 4 suet feeders. The squirrels never did stop trying to solve the feeder with large seed and corn.

The Juncos (ground feeders) came out when there was enough support from our fluffy snow. They love it under the evergreen for shelter until the red foxes show up..

Nothing unusual for winter here.

Dick

Old 01-11-11, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not missing any, except for the two Sambo and OC brought in last night. They eat everything but the head. Amazing.
My wife feeds EVERYTHING...birds, squirrels, chickens, bear. We have the normal amount feeding off the ground and the gazillion feeders. But, hey, we ARE the South, so I guess we got all your birds.

Old 01-12-11, 07:25 AM
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only bird feeder on the board. I remember posting about feeding birds a couple of years ago and some posters chided me about what a bad thing I was doing. Still no birds though. As soon as it stops blowing 30 mph I'll put out some seed.

We're at 16"-18" so far (on top of the 10" we already had) and it hasn't slowed. The weather guys say 24"-30" possible. Lots of fireworks in the night as a band of thundersnow passed through. I haven't seen my plow guy yet but it's no big deal. We've got food, firewood and more than enough wine to last a couple of weeks.

Old 01-12-11, 09:58 AM
Oh no, Wayne, it is beyond just feeding the animals. It's when you first get up, in your robe and moccasins...the birds are starving!!! So it's out in the snow with two Yogurt cans of bird seed mix to the driveway (about a hundred feet), back in the house with wet cold feet....THEN I can fix breakfast.....nooooo....gotta feed the dogs and cats first. PT Barnum would love living here!!!

Old 01-12-11, 10:39 AM
Group Moderator
I'm only a slave to the hummingbirds. During the peak summer months they are consuming two quarts a day and a couple of the feeders need filling twice a day.

Old 01-12-11, 01:08 PM
We spend most summer evenings eating dinner on our deck. In the summer I have 4 hummingbird feeders but the birds all fight for the same one. When that one is empty they will switch to another. At times there will be a dozen hummingbirds buzzing around one feeder, spending all their energy chasing each other away.

Unlike humans, the females are a lot less territorial.

Old 01-12-11, 01:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Larry, maybe you should stay in bed until she gets done feeding the critters

Old 01-12-11, 02:22 PM
I just discovered I had one bird the is not gone. A hawk (that never seems to leave seasonally) swooped in between trees and took a small (first year) squirrel. About a 1/2 hour later another came in but discovered he was after a small red fox that had been playing with the squirrels earlier, so he aborted the attack. Apparently, the hawks have great sight, but suffer from intelligence if they are also young.

Dick

Old 01-13-11, 06:56 AM
We have a large red tail hawk that perches in a tall tree behind our house. He, and his ancestor(s) have used that tree for at least the 25 years we have lived here.

He does a good job of keeping down the squirrel and field mouse population.

Old 01-13-11, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
I haven't seen any birds at all in a while, except for one Cardinal and a Hawk. Strange. I started putting food out almost a week ago, and while it usually takes them a day or two to realize it, the only ones that found it are the squirrels.

Old 01-15-11, 04:53 AM
Yeah, our hawk hovers over the garden area waiting for field mice.

Last edited by chandler; 01-15-11 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-16-11, 11:44 AM
i feed the animals. i have a creek and wooded area out back.
i don't buy food, i put out leftovers. people at work give me stuff to throw out back.

the birds around here come & go.

Old 02-12-11, 07:52 AM
LOVE the birds

But in suburb of NY we go every year to historic low counts. Predators, hawks and falcons have become common and our ducks are victims of foxes and coyotes. This is sad to report.

Old 02-12-11, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by briar View Post
But in suburb of NY we go every year to historic low counts. Predators, hawks and falcons have become common and our ducks are victims of foxes and coyotes. This is sad to report.
Not sad at all. Predators have to eat too. It's all part of nature. We should celebrate the return of hawks and falcons.

BTW - A day or so after I started this thread the birds started to show up. Now we have more birds coming to the feeders than in any past year that I can remember. I suspect the amount of snow still on the ground and the large amount of seed I am putting out may be responsible. I also had 8 squirrels (locally known as bushy tailed tree rats) at one feeder this morning. If this keeps up it might be time to tune up the pellet gun.

Old 02-12-11, 06:14 PM
Aaah, squirrels....one suborder away from rats and beavers. But we eat squirrels, why not rats???
Fixed about 20 lbs of squirrel at a wild game dinner at church last night....along with gator, bear, quail, rabbit, frog legs, elk burgers..........man what a feast.

Old 02-12-11, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
How come I didn't get a dogie bag in the mail? That sounds like an interesting meal.

Old 02-13-11, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
I think I'll pass. Yuk!

Old 02-13-11, 10:39 AM
PD, this was for a sister church just starting their program. I was there to help "advise" based on our experience at our church. Ours will be in April. Served about 650 people. We have everyone save some of their game from hunts for the event, but, alas, have to purchase some of the game. I mean, gator ain't a staple of North Georgia Plenty of bear, deer, quail, rabbit, pseudo-rats, etc. One guy goes out west and provides the elk.
Shadeladie, we tried to adopt them, but they were unadoptable.............just kidding . BTW, I have two rescue dogs, three "take up" cats, 8 chickens and an ever punctual rooster.

Old 02-13-11, 12:14 PM
I've dined on every entree that Chandler listed. All are quite tasty when prepared properly. I grew up eating squirrel, rabbit and venison. Part of my "you killed it, you eat it" upbringing. Of course that philosophy didn't apply to predators, skunks, coons and woodchucks.

Old 02-13-11, 03:34 PM
So picking .410 shot from your mouth when you bit down on the squirrel was a mainstay? Remember it vividly! Along with 6 oz cokes nearly frozen when placed by grandad's old Norge refrigerator/freezer box.
With money scarce to buy ammo, it was the sniper's addage of "one shot, one kill". You got a ribbing when you got back and they heard 4 shots and you only got 2 rabbits. Gotta quit this reminiscing.

Old 02-14-11, 03:28 PM
I think I learned from a similar teacher. I got my first gun, a Stevens single shot .22 when I was eight, although I couldn't use it alone 'til I was 10. Then my father would give me 5 bullets if I were hunting squirrels (that was the limit) or 4 if I were hunting rabbits.

Shotguns were used for bird hunting only. I learned a lot about hunting by having a limited ammo supply. I also learned a lot about hitting what I was shooting at, something that helped a lot in the military.

Nostalgia trip over.

Search this Thread