Southern Snow/Ice

Old 01-11-11, 05:15 PM
Southern Snow/Ice

How you folks doing down there? Watching on the news it looks like quite an adventure with very few plows and such.

Pretty tame winter up here so far, little nippy now and then but not bad. What's really strange, to me anyway, is hardly no wind.

We have maybe a foot or so on the ground but I don't see much chance of it melting anytime soon.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-11, 05:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Christmas Eve I measured 8" (first white Christmas since 1885, I think I heard on the Wx channel), and another 3" on Sunday, so at one setting we had nearly a foot. Took a week or so for it to melt away, and we got hit again with another 5 1/2" on Monday. Luckily we live in the mountains and it was snow. I hear Atlanta and below got mostly ice, so that's really bad. We can drive on snow.....you can't even think with ice, much less drive or walk on it.
Oh, the city of Atlanta (over a million people) only has 8 snow plows with spreaders. I-285 alone is 63 miles in circumference, and you have I-75, I-85 and I-20 inside that perimeter. It's a joke. When I lived there, we just shut down. They can only keep hospital access, etc. open at best. We did a better job on the runways at the airport!!
Our temps will stay below freezing for the next 3 days, at least (16 - 13 - 14 - 18 for the next few nights). Our only hope would be sunshine and thermal heat.
But, it's pretty.....I'm tired of it. Can't work. Found my truck today!

Old 01-11-11, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Getting hit out here again.

East coast getting 6-10" tonight. Got about 24" a couple weeks ago. I dont mind.

Howell - New Jersey Weather Forecasts | Maps | News - Yahoo! Weather

Mike NJ

Old 01-11-11, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
Worked in shorts and short sleeve shirt all day today. Only going to make 60 tomorrow, though; back to jeans and a jacket.

Old 01-11-11, 06:07 PM
Oh, kiss my grits..................Jacket goes on at 32 degrees. Otherwise shirt sleeves. Less restrictive. You get used to it.

Old 01-12-11, 03:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We've had more snow and worse ice this winter but I've lived in northeast tenn for almost 20 yrs and have never seen it last this long I like snow, I think it's pretty ........ when it comes and goes in a 3 day period

I live on top of a big hill [small mountain] and my .3 mile driveway is on the north side some of which never sees the sun. I'm used to it and own 4x4s specifically because of my road. With the exception of a week or so in the 1st part of december and a day and half a week or so ago, we've had snow on the ground since before thanksgiving Wish I had a 4 wheel drive tractor, I might venture out and try and plow my road. I used to try it with my NAA when I was younger [and the boys still lived at home and could help me get the tractor back up the hill if need be] but I'm not that brave anymore

They said on the local news that the schools have used up all their snow days and have to figure out how to make up the missed time. Most of the local municipalities are almost out of salt and don't expect to get more for at least a month. When's spring going to get here????

btw - I used to live outside of Orlando and when it got below 50 degrees - it was too dang cold to work outside! Funny how humidity and acclimation affects things.

Old 01-12-11, 04:35 AM
Oooh, you gave me an idea (and warning at the same time) The scrape blade is already on the 640, so why not scrape the drive. I could angle it like the big boy DOT trucks. Like you Marksr, mine is better than 1/4 mile down the mountian. But what if I can't get back up......leave it at the barn and walk up.

Old 01-12-11, 04:43 AM
"But, it's pretty.....I'm tired of it. Can't work. Found my truck today!"

Haha...glad you found it. On the news a little bit ago they had a reporter chipping the ice on an Atlanta street with a hammer....must have been an inch. Nice.

I see they're getting dumped on in Boston.

Then I noticed The Tow Guy going out on a call when it hits 50°.....