are these stamps worth anything

Old 01-15-11, 09:46 PM
are these stamps worth anything

Don't know where else to post this but. My mom has a bunch of old stamps and post card like stamps like the JFK first day of issue in memoriam JFK stamp on postcard. A first day cover of lieut. Col.. john H glenn jr from the mercury project. i will scan them all to a album and post them here if it will help. here a some i found on ebay to give you a start

Project Mercury # 1193 First Day Cover by Orbit - 1st on eBay!

1246 * JOHN F. KENNEDY MEMORIAL STAMP * on eBay!

any ideas. I will scan the ones we have if you want. Also have some Estonian ones.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-11, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator
Well, if those posting on eBay did their homework the value could be assumed at their asking price.

Both of your examples are at "Buy it Now" pricing by folks with thousands of feedback.
Doesn't get much better than that!

Wait and see if they sell.

Old 01-16-11, 07:37 AM
Group Moderator
There is an option at Ebay to show only completed auctions. I use that to get a feel for what an item has been selling for.

Old 01-16-11, 12:36 PM
so these stamps are worthless? no big score. Will have to give the yellow pages a work out then. She also has a bunch of estonian stamps. One website i found wanted $19 to view info on a stamp.

Old 01-16-11, 01:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No big score. Shoulda gone for tools. Really, when you look at it, the postcard in those days cost about 4 cents. So selling it at $10 is great. You ain't gonna get rich selling post cards for a dollar, though. Pay $19 to view the information and sell it for $10 ain't gonna make money.

Old 01-16-11, 01:22 PM
Those stamps are just first day of issue and covers on a postcard are not worth much, especially if they are canceled. If they are signed by someone notable, that will increase the value. The real money comes from the rarity (like the old magenta stamp) or misprints (upside down airplane, etc.).

I have 2 first day of issue envelopes for a 100th anniversary of statehood with corner blocks of 4 stamps that were signed by the postmaster. One is canceled and one was not not canceled. They are not worth selling. I also have a full sheet of the same stamps (unfolded or creased) that is worth more, but still not much since postage has gone up. - Nice to have and look at.

Dick

Old 01-16-11, 02:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I guess we all save memorabilia at some time in our life. I saved goofy stuff like the ticket stubs to the first game played in the old Atlanta Stadium, first Falcon's game back in 66 I guess, first Braves game after leaving Milwaukee. Not worth much, but I got 'em. I'll frame 'em in a collage some day, when it stops snowing.