Solar Generator

Old 01-26-11, 05:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Solar Generator

Have you noticed the latest advertisement on TV? This guy is playing on the unsuspecting by taunting a Solar Generator for when your power fails in a storm or in other emergencies. He says fossil fuel generators produce emissions, you have to crank them and they are noisy. But his generator is quiet and harnesses the energy of the sun to provide you power.
OK. When was the last time a storm rolled through in the middle of the night and the power went out? Aha, last week, right? Where was the sun? Over India or Russia, I guess. If the sun were shining, I would not have much need for generated power for lights. It won't produce enough power to run my stove, well pump, water heater, HVAC, so it would be basically worthless.
Maybe I'm missing something here, or maybe I missed investing in his invention. Sure could use the money!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-11, 07:47 AM
LOL, advertising doesn't have to be correct, it just has to sell products. There is probably a battery somewhere in the package, but I doubt it would do much more than run some LED lights. I haven't seen the ad so can't be sure where the gotcha is, but folks like us pay far too much attention to details to really enjoy the excitement of buying this stuff and throwing it away the next week.

Bud

Old 01-26-11, 11:35 AM
See what you think, Bud. Solar Generator - Amazing Solar Generator Is Like Having A Secret Power Plant Hidden In Your Home
At 1800 watts it will "free you from the grid"!!! Look at the last picture. I think it is a battery charger on steroids.

Old 01-26-11, 12:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you buy their fancy - three solar panel system and live in Illinios (sales tax) and add their two year service agreement, it will cost over $8400.00. I could buy twenty 4000 watt gas generators for that. May not be green, but CARB approved and for occasional use I would not buy their program.

Old 01-26-11, 12:42 PM
Anyone that watches this commercial and buys one of these things deserves exactly what they get - an overpriced rip-off.

A 90 watt (in bright sunshine) solar panel charging a battery (that may not be included) to provide "up to" 1800 watts. I haven't seen the sun in a couple of weeks. I wonder how close I could get to 1800 watts.

Old 01-26-11, 12:43 PM
I just erased my reply and slapped my hand as I should not respond in that manner on this forum. The sad part is that some unsuspecting little old lady or grandpa may buy something like that without proper guidance. Erase, erase, erase. I'm done.
ARRGH!!

Bud

Old 01-26-11, 04:36 PM
Bud, I heard you thinking it, and I agree. Wayne, it does have a storage battery, but how long will it invert to 120v, and at what wattage, once the sun goes down, or it comes up a "bad cloud"?

Search this Thread