Unbelievably Scary

Old 01-27-11, 10:21 AM
Unbelievably Scary

I know I'd have a load in my drawers after this. Two very lucky guys.

Anglers cling for life on Lake Superior ice | Duluth News Tribune | Duluth, Minnesota

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-11, 06:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Gotta be harrowing! BTW do you guys use regular fishing equipment? I mean you don't have to cast lines very far (6" at most ), a pole would be redundant when dropping a line vertically, so your cost factor must be nil. Just kiddin', I don't know ice fishing. Only time I saw it was in the winter of '93 when in Chicago.....little bitty spots out on Lake Michigan about as big as a fly. Must have been a mile or more. No way. Maybe in a boat, in the summer, with sun screen on.

Old 01-28-11, 04:31 AM
Group Moderator
Ever see the Home Improvement episode where Tim was using a friends ice shanty?

Boat, summer, ,suncreen....yep, works for me.

Old 01-28-11, 04:31 AM
I've no idea what they use to fish on Superior. They don't make a boat large enough to get me out on that lake, winter or summer.

Best ice fishing I've had is on Lake of the Woods. Stay in a nice cabin, drive out to the fish house where they have the furnace going for you and the holes open. Fish in your shirt sleeves, PBR and venison polish for lunch, then have walleye for supper. Doesn't get any better than that.

Old 01-28-11, 07:52 AM
I grew up ice fishing. One of my earliest memories was my father pulling me out to the shanty on a sled. We used hand lines and tip ups. I think rods and reels are more common in the upper mid west.

Ice fishing is a ton of fun and it filled the gap between deer season and trout fishing.

Old 01-28-11, 08:37 PM
Gone quite a few times. REally do not enjoy it at all. Cold and boring. My brother loves going. I just don't get it.

Old 01-29-11, 04:34 AM
But, TG, it's always summer in Sarasota!! Just hot and hotter. Oh, based on another post, I do feel sorry for you having to wear long pants and a jacket at 60 degrees At least it will hide the socks!

Old 01-29-11, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
Better than cold and colder [jump in here, Vic].

I was going to commiserate with the snowed-in by reminding them that they have "seasons" and pretty leaves in the Fall.

Old 01-29-11, 04:53 AM
Yeah, some of my detached family lives in Sarasota, so the matriarch decided to fly up and spend a few days with us. It was the first of November, and leaf change was at it's peak. She could not believe the beauty. We take it for granted, but she put it in a better perspective for me. She ran around (75 years old) picking up leaves, and wanting to know if she could keep it
She explained they didn't have seasons where she lived, and I guess I never realized that.

Old 01-29-11, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
I have trees in front and back sans leaves, so we're not totally devoid of seasonal changes, just a lot less noticeable and I have a collection of old sheets and blankets for covering my wax myrtles out front on nights forecast to have frost. Haven't had to mow the lawn since about Thanksgiving.

Old 01-29-11, 03:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I used to live outside of Orlando and there was a big maple tree in my front yard. It didn't take long for the leaves to turn, drop and be replaced. Many times if I was busy at work I didn't get a chance to rake up the leaves until after the tree was full of new leaves. Seems like the whole process didn't take much more than a week or so.

The painting company I worked for had a lot of gas powered equipment and if any of it broke down in december or january - you couldn't get it fixed in a timely manner because that was when all the lawn mowing business's had all there equipment in the shop for yearly maintainence.

Search this Thread