*%#&^ snow!

Old 02-05-11, 04:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, just for information TG, "antifreeze". It's a component we need to keep our vehicles from freezing. Glad Ray brought it up.
Did you see where the low pressure band is this morning???? Some where between Cabo San Lucas and the Bahamas. Looks like a big smiley face on steroids.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-11, 08:14 AM
Enough already, I give up!

Current Weather Updated: Wed, Mar. 2, 2011, 9:00 CST -
-13F
Partly cloudy
Feels Like: -29
Wind: SE 7m/h

"Tuesday afternoon's high of -13F would be the coldest daytime temperature for March 1 in 130 years".

Old 03-02-11, 08:28 AM
Haha I love all the snow hating... nice and sunny in San Diego... just sayin'

Old 03-02-11, 09:11 AM
Group Moderator
Geez, mj; guess I know why a lot of your fellow Canadians are down here in the winter. Starting to see some early blossoms and the grass is greening up a bit after yesterday's rain.

Old 03-02-11, 10:10 AM
It is now up to 6F after -7F this morning and 41F and bright sun yesterday. We are now in the "roller coaster" season. A couple of inches tomorrow followed by a warm day or two and then a dump of wet snow.

It is strange to have bright sun, clear skies and see the snow pack disappearing without any run-off because of soil absorption and evaporation/transpiration, but the snow goes down. The streets are bare and clean.

We have had 72" of snow this year (well above average) and many people are hoping the traditional March snow will be enough to make it a record, but it is doubtful. Most of the snow has been the fluffy "sissy" stuff that disappears, but is on the weather records. At least it will be gone quickly and everyone along a river knows there will be a flood because the ground holds so much water and all the melt will flow downhill to a river somewhere and the rains will add to it.

The volunteers have been filling sand bags (3,000,000 bags for the first stage) for weeks so far along the Red River of the north (Fargo/Moorehead, grand Forks, etc) on the way to Hudson Bay. The land is very flat and the river flows north into the frozen Canadian ice jams that back up everything. It is so flat that 6" over the protected level could cause the river to be as much as 5 miles wider if Mother Nature warms too fast. - A very strange and unique situation.

They soon will be turning on the heat under the Minnesota Twins park to wake up the grass on the "state of the art" field for the home baseball opener.

Dick

Old 03-02-11, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Geez, mj; guess I know why a lot of your fellow Canadians are down here in the winter. Starting to see some early blossoms and the grass is greening up a bit after yesterday's rain.
Ha ha TG. By the time hurricane season blows around, those early blossoms will be ripe.

Not much of a dig on my part as I'd rather hunker down in my house for 2 days for the hurricane than go through 6 months of cold. I was down there last year. Went to Ocala and then stayed at Treasure Island. It wasn't hot, barelly warm, but it was better than here

Old 03-02-11, 02:04 PM
Enough already, I give up!
I hear ya. Even though we've had a pretty tame winter I can't wait to see water running in the streets.