*%#&^ snow!

Old 01-27-11, 03:40 PM
*%#&^ snow!

We are now officially neck deep in snow. National weather service said that we have had between 60 and 72 inches of snow this month. That is way above the arse deep of two weeks ago and elbow deep from last week.

The month of January has set a record for the most snow of any recorded month in CT. Another 16" last night, including some thundersnow, after the new record was announced. I have had my driveway plowed 6 times so far at $60 a whack. One plowing a winter is probably our average.

I usually keep my steps and 40' walkway shoveled. I am reduced to shoveling a narrow path the width of my shovel. There is a 4' drift between the house and the garage door that I haven't tackled yet.The weather guy reported that this snow is particularly heavy, probably due to the sleet in the middle of the night, at up to 19# a square foot. Lots of flat roofs collapsing including a barn that killed some horses.

Sometimes I wish I was back living in Key West. Thank God for the wine cellar. If worse comes to worse we can last 'til spring - assuming that spring will come this year.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-11, 03:57 PM
Well thank you for absorbing that last storm, I'm way above you and we got/getting just a dusting. But mother nature isn't done so I should be careful what I say. Of course up here we are supposed to be used to it, like 10 plow jobs is an average. This year will probably go to 12 to 15. My Kubota is slower than a plow, but I end up clearing the entire yard. It does wonders for avoiding the claustrophobia of winter.

Bud

Old 01-27-11, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator

Old 01-27-11, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
OK, TG, always rubbing it in, LOL!

I'm sick of it. We just got hit with almost 20" yesterday. I have tons to shovel, and there was hardly any place left to put it. Yesterday it took me about 1 1/2 hrs to shovel and today almost 5 hours! Now they're saying another one could be coming next week and until the weather pattern breaks, it'll be one after another. I'm ready to move to Florida. Move over TG!

Old 01-27-11, 06:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Off my front porch and I'm only 500 miles north of you TG. Oh, yeah, kiss my grits.

[/IMG]

Old 01-28-11, 04:33 AM
Group Moderator
Moi?

Actually been wearing jeans and jacket last few days, hasn't made it out of the 60s since the weekend.

Old 01-28-11, 04:44 AM
I'm jealous, we only have maybe 2' on the ground and it's almost spring.

I've always wondered what they do with the snow in places like the UP of Michigan where they get these crazy amounts (200 inches?) of snow each year. You can only plow so much till you run out of space.

Old 01-28-11, 05:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We were lucky this time it rained more than it snowed and the rain seems to have melted all the snow on my property If I remember correctly, yesterday afternoon was only the 2nd day since mid december that my property hasn't had snow on it. I moved here in 1991 and have never seen snow hang around like this in tenn...... even the blizzard of 93 was gone within 10 days.

Old 01-28-11, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator
We don't even have any snow left up on the mountains nearby...9K+ elevation. Pretty mild overall...mostly sunny low 60's or so last few weeks.

Old 01-30-11, 06:47 AM
The forcast is for another "major" storm with predictions of "greater than a foot" midweek preceded by a smaller storm that is expected to drop 4-6 inches.

I spent half of yesterday shoveling snow off my deck. I was really getting concerned about the weight. It was over a foot deep, wet and very heavy.

Even so, I'll take New England over most of the rest of the country. I've lived in California and Washington, Florida and South Carolina and New England suits me. I just wish we could afford a little conch house in the keys for when winter overwhelms us.

Of course with global warming New England may soon be the "new" Florida Keys.

Old 01-30-11, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
They're calling for ice, snow and sleet in part 1, then ice and sleet changing to rain for part 2 then artic temps, around here. Of course, last week they called for rain in part 1, then 2 to 4" snow in part 2, and we ended up with about 5" snow followed by and inch of ice in part 1, then 15" snow in part 2. Yikes! They were way off, so who knows what's really coming.
I just can't wait till spring. I had enough of this winter.

Old 01-30-11, 09:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
Of course with global warming New England may soon be the "new" Florida Keys.
Or the Florida Keys may become a ski resort with ramps from the hotel top floors . Remember, TG is having to wear long pants at 60 degrees. That's cold for them. And you can wait on your higher fresh produce prices as soon as they start the embargo from Florida due to low temps.

Old 01-30-11, 12:52 PM
When we lived in Key West the temps got down into the 40's for a couple of days. It set low temp records. We had no heat, no blankets, no coats and terrazzo floors. I think my wife had a couple of light sweaters. We froze our butts. I guess it's all relative.

Old 02-01-11, 08:27 AM
Weather for my place - Add to iGoogle
-26F (add windchill to this)
Ahhhhhh Teeing off at 12:18 but need to head home soon

Old 02-01-11, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
I don't know how you can stand it! It's just near the freezing mark here, and I hate it, but I think I'm getting used to the cold weather tho. Yesterday was 29 and sunny and it felt warm. We have a coating of freezing rain and sleet right now and tomorrow morning, more of the same. Oh joy.

Old 02-01-11, 04:34 PM
Group Moderator
Will you *&^% Yankees please take your cold back. We don't need it down here. No snow here but the temperature will only be above freezing for a couple of hours each day. That is a big problem for me. When the temperature stays in the 30's or lower heat loss from the house exceeds the capacity of my gas heater. So every hour it gets just a little colder in the house with the gas turned up to max.

No heat in the kitchen so I'll have to keep the cats water in the bedroom. She gets really ticked off when her water freezes. And I'll have to drain the pipes tonight and keep a heater going in the bathroom so the toilet doesn't freeze over. Geeze I hate cold weather.

Old 02-01-11, 04:55 PM
We Yankees just have to teach you southern folks how to insulate. I see a lot of questions from people who are experiencing temperatures their homes weren't built for. This is supposed to be global warming, LOL. We have been between -15 and 30 for the past three weeks. I'm watching your area to see when you are going to send up some heat, but look at what you are giving us.

Bud

Old 02-02-11, 05:57 AM
Group Moderator
We don't need no stinking insulation.

Judging by this morning's weather headlines, probably not a good day to give the weather report from sunny Florida.

Old 02-02-11, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator
WTH is going on!? 17 today when I woke up! Only up to 35 or so later. Course, no snow or anything and with sun it will feel much warmer. Also back into the 60's in 2 days. Wife can't go for her runs when it's like this though...she keeps adding things to my list.

I think it's the Canadians fault....they're not doing their part with the global warming thing...lol.

Old 02-02-11, 09:09 AM
We were fortunate to miss the "monster snow" the weather guessers were predicting. Instead it's mid 30's and rain. Unfortunately my gutters are glogged with ice and I won't be surprised to see a roof leak. Somebody should invent easily removable gutters for winter.

The new cottage industry here is roof shovelers. The going price seems to be about $350 for a one story roof. I don't think I want a bunch of guys on my roof with shovels especially since the snow is iced to the shingles.

We've had quite a few roof collapses from the very heavy snow. Most have been barns and businesses but the media has people freaking out. They are lining up at big box stores for snow rakes. One of the big orange stores was evacuated because the roof was "creaking".

Fortunately, Phil missed his shadow. In a couple of months I'll be *****ing about how hot it is.

Old 02-02-11, 09:27 AM
Gunguy, it must be my fault. I'm still in Phoenix and the cold is following me. Sorry about that.

Old 02-02-11, 10:13 AM
Here in Minneapolis/St. Paul, we appreciate the cold weather from the NW since is pushes the west, sloppy problem snows south and east. - Usually to So MN, IA, So WI, IL and lower MI.

We finally have an "average" snow fall for the first time in 15 years, so we have 20" of light snow on the ground, bare streets and highways plowed over fully width a day after 4" of fluff. - No ice, sleet and wet snow.

It was -2F this morning and will hit 9F today with clear blue skies, snow sublimating (evaporating) and any patches on driveways disappearing.

We did get 17" of wet snow much earlier in the fall/winter from southern moisture before the cold and sun started working.

Dick

Old 02-02-11, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Well I may have spoken too soon. Now they are saying up to 3 inches of snow. About equivalent in problems to two feet up north.

Worse and unprecedented here for winter where the electric company is use to providing massive amounts of electric for air conditioning in the summer they started running out and had to resort to rolling blackouts. Thank goodness I use good old gas space heaters.

Old 02-02-11, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
I suppose I should not mention the 70f and sun that we had today. Quite a change from the low teens we had way back in December. I'm just glad that I don't hear the furnace kicking on very often during the night. Every time it comes on I can't help but think "there goes another dollar".

Old 02-02-11, 08:04 PM
we got pounded pretty good today. 3' deep in some parts of my moms driveway. took me about 4 hours to clear 1 lane, 120' long. with a snow blower. lots of places are closed, i didn't go into work today.

next are the 0deg temps

Old 02-03-11, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator
We were spared this time. A little ice both mornings, then melted thanks to slightly warmer temps. BUT next week, looks like 3 more storms, every other day, then cold, then more of the same the following week.
Not liking this at all.
I was reading on Accuweather that the next couple winters will be as cold or colder than this one. We're in this awful weather pattern that's not going away soon.
Not looking forward to it.

Old 02-03-11, 06:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"I was reading on Accuweather that the next couple winters will be as cold or colder than this one. We're in this awful weather pattern that's not going away soon"

You could have went all day without mentioning that
We missed the last snow just got rain but now it's back being colder than normal. I like where I live but I liked it better when the snow and cold weather was short lived.

Old 02-03-11, 07:41 AM
So here I am in Phoenix and of course they're setting new records for lows. Lovely.

26F with a strong wind is pretty cold here because we're all running around in shorts and golf shirts. Back home I'd have my big down-filled coat unzipped and be talking about how warm 26F is and then blab about how this would be considered cold in Phoenix, all those wimps. Now I understand why all the whining about 26f being cold. I don't have a decent coat here.

Old 02-03-11, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
You could have went all day without mentioning that
LOL!
And I'm actually being conservative. What they really said was "three or four out of the next five years"! YIKES! We're really in for it.

Old 02-03-11, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
So here I am in Phoenix and of course they're setting new records for lows. Lovely.

26F with a strong wind is pretty cold here because we're all running around in shorts and golf shirts. Back home I'd have my big down-filled coat unzipped and be talking about how warm 26F is and then blab about how this would be considered cold in Phoenix, all those wimps. Now I understand why all the whining about 26f being cold. I don't have a decent coat here.
We rented a house with a pool and hot tub in Scottsdale last March. It was supposed to be a week of golf, sun and a little more golf. A great break after a dreary CT winter. It was rainy and cold every day except one. We played one round of golf and spent the rest of the time touristing. It was snowing the day we visited Sedona and the desert was as green as a New England lawn in May.

About 10 years ago we vacationed in Palm Springs. When we drove over from San diego it was snowing, hard. The people where we were staying in Palm Springs said they had never seen such cold, rainy weather. One week and only 2 rounds of golf.

I must have the same jinx that you have. Or maybe it's my wife. Maybe I should leave her behind next time.

Old 02-03-11, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
mj, Florida is the place for Canadian snowbirds; you didn't get the memo?

And now for the local weather:

2:13 pm EST
Partly cloudy
77 degrees
74% humidity
Baro 30.18
Wind WSW @ 2 mph
UV index 3 Moderate
Dew point 68 degrees
Visibility 10 mi
Low tonight of 59; high tomorrow 81

Just doing my part to help the Florida economy.

Old 02-03-11, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
But your not making many friends with weather reports like that.

Old 02-03-11, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Well...at least we don't get hurricanes, tornadoes, or sinkholes. Or gators, or humidity, or 14 ft long escaped pythons.....lol

Old 02-03-11, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
I'm still trying to figure out why global warming is a bad thing....

Old 02-04-11, 06:28 AM
Group Moderator
I'll refrain from gloating any more.

As I understand the current global warming theorists, global warming is what's causing the colder winters and big snowfalls.

Old 02-04-11, 07:08 AM
Group Moderator
Global warming causing colder winters? That's not intuitive

Old 02-04-11, 07:45 AM
I read in the paper this morning that an egg farm in SE CT had a roof collapse from the snow. 85,000 dead chickens!

Old 02-04-11, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
I read in the paper this morning that an egg farm in SE CT had a roof collapse from the snow. 85,000 dead chickens!
Sale on Wings for happy hours next week....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 02-04-11, 12:05 PM
I find it somewhat amusing that it is 4 warmer up here than in Dallas right now, very cool.

From a short article I just read concerning the melting Arctic ice cap.....

Trouble is, loss of sea ice saps high-pressure bands that bottle up arctic winds, steering winter storms farther south. Europe and the U.S. would continue to be walloped by severe winter cold and snow.....

So, maybe it's time for you southern folk to buy a nice down jacket and some long pants.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 02-04-11, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
Aww crap. It's been below freezing for most of the last two days and it just occurred to me I can't remember if my van has antifreeze in it. Dang!