A mixed up hawk?

Old 02-10-11, 12:52 PM
A mixed up hawk?

I have a Northern Harrier (Marsh Hawk) that visits my yard every day. He's been coming for the last couple of weeks. The odd thing is that he always comes with a small flock of crows. The crows attack the bird feeders while he sits in a nearby apple tree. When they leave he leaves with them.

So far he's done a good job of keeping the squirrels away but I can't figure out why he's hanging out with crows.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-11, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Camouflage maybe? Run with the crows..the other critters aren't concerned?

I mean, he'd never turn on the crows...who'd like to eat that? Though I have a few times...lol.

Old 02-10-11, 07:52 PM
I could be wrong but I wonder if the crows are after HIM! Very typical up here to see a crow stranded on a fence post (in the country on a barbed wire fence) while every other fence post has a blackbird on it. When the crow tries to take off the blackbirds buzz him and force him back. Maybe the crows are doing that to the hawk?

Swear to god I saw a hawk chasing a jack rabbit in field. After a about 30 seconds, the hawk went to hay bale and another hawk started chasing the rabbit. Happened three times while I was watching but they got too far away to watch anymore. Thats not a BS story! I tell "naturalist" types and they dont believe me.

Old 02-10-11, 11:21 PM
Maybe the hawk is the crows body guard since you said he leaves with the crows.

Old 02-11-11, 04:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
On my cattle farm years ago, I had a hawk that could tell when I got the bushog out. He/she would follow me to the field and perch high up in a tree. When I ran over a rat nest, etc. he would literally fall out of the tree and catch wind on its way down under its wings, zoom right past my head and hit the animal dead on every time. This happened almost every week. Scared me at first, but then I figured out what he was doing.
Flirty1 may be on to something. Only one or two meaner birds around.......falcon and a screech owl. More stories on the screech owl at another time.

Old 02-11-11, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
I could be wrong but I wonder if the crows are after HIM! Very typical up here to see a crow stranded on a fence post (in the country on a barbed wire fence) while every other fence post has a blackbird on it. When the crow tries to take off the blackbirds buzz him and force him back. Maybe the crows are doing that to the hawk?

Swear to god I saw a hawk chasing a jack rabbit in field. After a about 30 seconds, the hawk went to hay bale and another hawk started chasing the rabbit. Happened three times while I was watching but they got too far away to watch anymore. Thats not a BS story! I tell "naturalist" types and they dont believe me.
I've seen the same thing. I always figured it was either a mated pair or an adult traiiing a juvenile. There is in conflict between the crows and the hawk. He sits within a few feet of the crows while they are feeding. When they leave he flys with them and a couple of times I've watched him fly with them and roost in the same tree.

Old 02-11-11, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Maybe the hawk was orphaned and this flock of crows raised him as their own so they could have him as a bodyguard.
Well, anything's possible.

Old 02-11-11, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
Crows may have raised it. Here is where a crow raised a cat. Its crazy......

YouTube - Crow and Kitten are Friends

Mike NJ

Search this Thread