Looking for work?

Old 02-16-11, 08:43 AM
Looking for work?

A couple of weeks ago I posted about a new cottage industry that had sprung up following the heavy snowfall last month. Yesterday I read a news report that was the icing on the cake.

A local town school superintendent hired a roofing contractor to remove the snow from the town's three schools. She did not solicit bids and agreed to pay the contractor by the hour not the job. His rate for his workers was $110 an hour. Total cost to the taxpayer for the snow removal was a whopping $300,000. The town is now complaining because other local school districts ONLY paid $150,000 for the snow removal.

I love it when bureaucrats take such good care of my tax dollar.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-11, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Worse will be when the council votes to create a new permanent "roof snow removal coordinator" position with a starting salary of $65k a year. All with your tax dollars.

Old 02-16-11, 12:32 PM
They probably have a good argument for price gouging and can work that bill down to a reasonable number. As for reasonable, even the 150 sound outrageous to me. If it is a flat roof, I would think that some planning and a couple of small snow blowers would let them keep up with the problem in the future. The old building I rented years ago had a walkout access from stairs inside.

Bud

Old 02-16-11, 02:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
909 hours to remove snow from the roofs of 3 schools!!! I think that superintendent will be looking for employment with the snow removal company come next fall......she would not work in my school district any more.
Like Bud said, $150k is outrageous. That's 450 hours plus. Wonder if that contractor deducted for lunch on that???
It is all relative....We once had our Public Service Commission tell the Georgia Power Company they could not have the (say) $200,000,000 increase before them. They very publicly told them they would have to make do with $100,000,000. Garnered votes for the next election of the PSC people for sure. Hey, the GPC only wanted $100,000,000 to begin with . It's government at it's best....dupe the people and make them feel good.

Old 02-16-11, 04:05 PM
I just wonder how much the guy with the shovel got?

Old 02-16-11, 07:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just be glad it wasn't a Georgia DOT crew. 4 or 5 white hardhats, 2 yellow and one in the hole with a shovel. Everyone pointing and talking like they know something.