Who is this gal kidding?

Old 02-26-11, 04:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Who is this gal kidding?

I hate to bring news to the forums, but I saw this and wondered, what in the world is this gal alluding to, by her comments. Sure some things are best left to professionals, but then we wouldn't have anything to do

Yeah, Marksr, he even attacked painters

Home Improvement Projects You Should Never DIY - FoxBusiness.com

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 02-26-11 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Fixed the gender references, chandler
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-11, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator
"Ceiling fans get heavier when they are running as the downward pressure of air adds more weight when the fan spins"

I love that line! I guess if the air is blowing down, I should put a tether to anchor it to the floor as well. Wouldn't want my roof lifting off....lol.

Old 02-26-11, 05:37 AM
Oops, it was a "she", so give credit where credit is due, I guess. Apologies to all the experienced lady diy'ers out there, as this was an attack on you, too.
She "checked with contractors across the country" Reckon they were trying to keep their nose above water? "Oh, no, you can't install your own tile....think of the dangers, there......or (sorry Marksr) you need professional assistance to apply paint or you will come down with cancer." Pullleeeeassse!!

Old 02-26-11, 05:40 AM
Group Moderator
Guess we better shut down the site; wouldn't want to get sued by someone who attempted one of those projects with diy.com assistance.

Old 02-26-11, 05:42 AM
Group Moderator
Corrected the gender in your post, chandler; 'course, now I'll be in trouble for using the term "gal". Oh, wait, you'll be in trouble; it's your post.

I was shaking my head as soon as I read, "tiling". I always thought that was a very diy-friendly project. Granted, you don't just go buy a bunch of tile and materials and start throwing it down if you've never done it, but with a little basic education most anyone can do basic tiling.

Old 02-26-11, 06:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
So all the work I've done at home [except for painting] is done wrong?

Maybe that article was sponsored by unions If you can convince the homeowner that he can't do the job, he'll have to hire a pro. I thought the main purpose of this site was to give a little guidance so a homeowner can do a decent job. Hope we don't go to jail for aiding and abetting

I guess I better go to town and get some safety chains to secure my ceiling fans that I installed myself

Old 02-26-11, 07:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Looks like I can put away my fish tapes and drills.

Today, there are regulations prohibiting home builders from burying live wires in a wall or ceiling, but you canít depend on work that may have been done years ago, said Rudy
Looks like it might be time to buy Wiremold stock and make a fortune.

Hope the sheriff doesn't come knocking. I can think of thousands of feet of buried cables I had a hand in installing and they were all under sheetrock.

I must have had it wrong all these years. I thought it was the current that killed.

Wiring can pose a great risk to homeowners; although most appliances in the home are only around 110 volts and wonít kill you, items like a stove will have more power, gas lines can also be a big concern, warns Rudy
Maybe the GFI should be re-invented to trip on voltage. .

Quick I need help, my volts are overflowing, I have an extra 10 volts leaking everywhere. I am not even going to look to see how many are leaking out of the stove.

Old 02-26-11, 07:17 AM
Don't forget it's on the Fox News network so you know that this is based on quality programming. (please read with the most sarcastic voice you can drum up.)

Old 02-26-11, 07:41 AM
Wildbill, it really surprised me to be from FoxNews. Their business network usually has some conservative, down to earth views, but this is really out there, and like Marksr said, it was probably derived from unions.... in Wisconsin. Oops, shouldn't have said that.
Thanks TG. Shadeladie will be along any second. Can't wait.
Jim, the 120 volts from hand to hand across the heart is innocuous, I guess. Better wait and grab both hots from the stove, which I am sure is done daily, somewhere.
Look folks, if you don't know what you are doing, or it is above your pay grade, call in a pro. Otherwise, with proper education from a group like ours, you can do almost anything you want to do, and do it safely with good results.

Old 02-26-11, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
I painted my bi-fold doors yesterday. I was wondering why I saw police cars going up and down my street. I better go hide the evidence. Now my doors are nice and bright white and all the other trim and ceilings look dull. What does that mean????? I better call a profesional painter. Possibly I can pay him lots of money to figure this out. I am sure its because I bought homeowner grade paint and not contractor grade. LOL...

Mike NJ

Old 02-26-11, 08:13 AM
See!!?? Plumbers trying to go outside their practice and painting! There ought to be a law.

Old 02-26-11, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Probably be a good idea to only pay for stuff with cash from now on at HD & Lowe's; kill the paper trail.

Old 02-26-11, 11:33 AM
The woman is a business reporter for FOX. The article is a typical talking head piece where "experts" of one sort or another save us from ourselves.

When I read the article there were over 150 comments posted. I read the first dozen or so and they were all in the same vein.

"You are an idiot!" would pretty much sum it up.